[Sust-mar] Bottom Trawling

Paul Falvo pfalvo at chebucto.ns.ca
Thu Feb 15 12:35:44 EST 2007

Response from Minister of Fishing the Oceans to my recent letter re
bottom trawling. Go to the Ecology Action Centre's website to learn more.
~Paul

Dear Mr. Falvo

Thank you for your correspondence concerning the protection of
vulnerable marine ecosystems.  I regret the delay in responding.

The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) Resolution on Sustainable
Fisheries, where the issue of the protection of vulnerable marine
ecosystems is addressed, was adopted by consensus on December 8, 2006.
This Resolution, in which Canada played a pivotal role in bridging
diverse views, significantly strengthens the protection of vulnerable
marine ecosystems from the impacts of destructive fishing.

We now have a specific and collective standard that must be used as a
condition to manage fishing activities in known, suspected or
encountered vulnerable areas.  If it can be verified that a vessel is
being managed according to this standard, then and only then can it be
considered to be fishing responsibly.

Thus States on the high seas and Regional Fisheries Management
Organizations (RFMOs) within their area of coverage must demonstrate
responsible management of fishing vessels.  Based on the new standard
agreed to in the Resolution, States are required to manage the impacts
of fishing activities by either:

* minimizing any potential adverse impacts on vulnerable marine
ecosystems; or
* prohibiting the activity from proceeding if such impacts cannot be
minimized.

RFMOs under development are also subject to this standard through the
adoption of interim measures.  Additionally, States have agreed to
transparency provisions so that their actions can be verified and
international progress can be measured.

The Resolution also advances other important Canadian priorities, such as:

* implementation of the UN Fish Stocks Agreement;
* prevention of illegal, unreported and unregulated fishing;
* strengthening existing RFMOs; and
* creating new and effective RFMOs.

We are confident that this Resolution will provide a strong standard of
protection for vulnerable marine ecosystems and we will work diligently
to ensure it is effectively implemented at the global level.  A further
review of this collective action will be conducted by the UN in 2009.

Thank you again for your interest in this important matter.

Sincerely,
Original signed by

Loyola Hearn, P.C., M. P.