[Sust-mar] CALL OUT: Please help us mobilize to unwelcome Bush to Canada and to stop the SPP

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Sun Jul 22 14:33:29 EDT 2007

US President Bush and Mexican President Calderon are coming to Canada on
August 20 to ratify the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP). Please
help us tell them NO!

We, the Halifax Peace Coalition, are having a meeting this Tuesday, July 24
from 7-8:30 in the Dalhousie Student Union Building on University Ave to
plan actions against Bush and the SPP. We need a coalition of groups to help
organize. We will be in solidarity with actions that will also take place
across the country. It is imperative that we organize something in our
communities to send a public and loud message that the SPP is not the future
that we want for North America.

We are all working very hard for sustainability, peace, and social justice.
The SPP undermines all our efforts. It is being negotiated with no input
from civil society. This is not how our democratic government is supposed to
work. Please see all the resources below.

PLEASE HELP US PLAN A HALIFAX ACTION OR AN ACTION IN YOUR COMMUNITY - HELP
US UNWELCOME BUSH AND HELP US STOP THE SPP! Please come to our meeting this
Tuesday at 7pm!

See you there!

Tamara Lorincz

*************
Canadians Completely Unaware of Looming North American Union Bush and
Calderon to Visit Canada
By Kevin Parkinson
Global Research, July 17, 2007

In just over a month’s time, on August 20, the most powerful president in
the world will be arriving in Montebello, Quebec for a two-day conference.
President George W. Bush will be meeting with Stephen Harper and their
Mexican counterpart, Felipe Calderon. So far, the silence from the Canadian
and American media has been deafening.

Talk to 90% of people on the street and they won’t know about this upcoming
conference, and if by a slim chance they do, they won’t know the purpose of
the meeting or why the leaders of Canada, United States and Mexico are
meeting in the dog days of summer under what amounts to a veil of secrecy.

So, what’s this upcoming conference all about, and why are the newspapers,
radio and television keeping silent about it?

The purpose of the upcoming conference is to ratify the Security and
Prosperity Partnership of North America, which was initiated by Bush, Martin
and Fox in 2005 in Waco, Texas. Essentially, this so-called ‘partnership’
will result in what the politicians refer to as ‘continental
integration’-newspeak for a North American Union- and basically a
harmonization of 100’s of regulations, policies and laws.

In layman’s terms, it means that once this ‘partnership’ has been ratified
which is a fait accompli; we will be following in the footsteps of the
European Union. It will mean that Canada will become part of the North
American Union by 2010, and that our resources, agricultural, health and
environment issues, to name a few, will be controlled not by Canada, but by
the government of the North American Union.

A huge ‘NAFTA’ highway, one quarter of a mile wide, is already being built
in Texas, where private land is being expropriated, and will eventually
reach the Manitoba border.

Water will be the ‘issue’ of this century, as more than 25 states in the
U.S. are currently in desperate need. Where do you think they will get the
water they need?

The United States is already guaranteed 60% of our natural gas resources
from NAFTA, which mean that even during emergencies when we need energy, we
will have to import it, while we are forced to export gas to the U.S.
This is just one example of how Canada is being shortchanged, and it’s only
going to get worse.

Why has there been absolutely NO public consultation on the biggest issue
(North American Union) facing Canadians since Confederation? Why isn’t Guy
Lauzon, our local MP for Stormont, Dundas and South Glengarry, holding town
hall meetings, bringing in cabinet ministers and explaining how the emerging
North American Union will affect our Canadian way of life? Ask the citizens
of Canada for their feedback. Isn’t that how democracy is supposed to work?

Folks, I suggest that Mr. Lauzon isn’t even aware of the SPP or the North
American Union, which explains why the Conservative government has denied
all Canadians information to which they are entitled. If he does have
something to say about it, then let him raise the issue in our riding.

Furthermore, the example of the North American Union illustrates that our
government claims to be democratic, but in fact, does it act like one, or
does it prefer to make the big decisions at committee level behind closed
doors, while masking its real intentions?

The ratification of the SPP, and the emergence of the North American Union
have been organized entirely by government committees and private
enterprise. I refer readers to my website at www.realitycheck.typepad.com

for further information on the North American Union.

If our citizenry allows the North American Union to come into existence,
then our way of life will change drastically, for the years to come.
With privatization of our resources, increased foreign ownership, and a
Canadian government with less and less authority, our children and
grandchildren will be come ‘North Americans’ and our quality of life will
drastically decline.

The founding fathers of Canada must be rolling over in their graves.

Author's website at http://realitycheck.typepad.com/
Disclaimer: The views expressed in this article are the sole responsibility
of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of the Centre for
Research on Globalization.

The CRG grants permission to cross-post original Global Research articles on
community internet sites as long as the text & title are not modified. The
source and the author's copyright must be displayed. For publication of
Global Research articles in print or other forms including commercial
internet sites, contact: crgeditor at yahoo.com

www.globalresearch.ca contains copyrighted material the use of which has not
always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making
such material available to our readers under the provisions of "fair use" in
an effort to advance a better understanding of political, economic and
social issues. The material on this site is distributed without profit to
those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving it for research and
educational purposes. If you wish to use copyrighted material for purposes
other than "fair use" you must request permission from the copyright owner.

For media inquiries: crgeditor at yahoo.com

© Copyright Kevin Parkinson, Global Research, 2007

The url address of this article is:
www.globalresearch.ca/PrintArticle.php?articleId=6346

© Copyright 2005 GlobalResearch.ca
Web site engine by Polygraphx Multimedia © Copyright 2005

*************

 [1] Council of Canadians
http://www.canadians.org/integratethis/summit/August20.html
Call to action against the SPP!
Council of Canadians to mobilize in Ottawa, Montebello and across the
country from August 19-20, 2007

August 20th: National Day of Action to Oppose the SPP » August 20th:
National Day of Action to Oppose the SPP

The Council of Canadians is asking that you be part of a National Day of
Action to Oppose the Security and Prosperity Partnership on Monday August
20, to coincide with the so-called Security and Prosperity Leaders Summit
taking place on August 20-21 in Montebello, Quebec.

We encourage you to participate in this day of action by organizing a public
forum, a community picnic, lobbying your Member of Parliament, distributing
handbills, or speaking to the media.

As you confirm that you will be participating in this day of action, please
submit this online form or email pwoolridge at canadians.org. We will post your
event information on this site, to encourage others in your community to
join you, as well as to share with others across the country.

KEY ACTIVITIES

Here are some ideas to get you started. Add your own ideas and creative
flair!

1. Public forum - you could organize a panel of local activists who could
speak to key issues relating to the Security and Prosperity Partnership,
including democracy and accountability, water and the environment, foreign
and military policies, security and civil rights, and energy security.

2. Community picnic - given that this is a summer-time summit, you may want
to hold a family-friendly community picnic and invite people to share
community, good food (no bottled water, of course) and a common concern
about the SPP agenda.

3. Lobbying - now that the House of Commons is adjourned for the summer
months, this may be an excellent time to meet and discuss this issue with
your Member of Parliament while they are in their home riding.

4. Leafleting - take an hour at lunch time at a busy spot in your community
and pass out our materials to passersby to help them understand what they
will undoubtedly be hearing about on the news that evening. (We will be
posting new handbills and fact sheets on this site in the coming weeks).

5. Media - Council chapters have been very successful in getting into local
media and this day of action is a good opportunity to invite the media to
your forum or picnic, tell them about your meeting with your MP, or to write
a letter to the editor or op-ed drawing on the resources available to you on
our website.

PROTEST IN OTTAWA-MONTEBELLO

If you live within travelling distance of Ottawa-Montebello, be sure to come
to our public forum on Sunday August 19 and join us to peacefully protest
the SPP Summit on Monday August 20. You may also want to join the rally and
march planned for Sunday August 19 starting at 1:00 pm at Ottawa City Hall,
going past the U.S. and Mexican embassies, and then gathering on Parliament
Hill. More details on these events will be posted as they become available.

With Prime Minister Stephen Harper meeting with U.S. President George Bush
and Mexican President Felipe Calderón in Canada on August 20 and August 21,
it's important to send a clear message of opposition to their deep
integration agenda. Let's join together on that day and see what we can do
to make a difference.

    * The Council of Canadians statement on non-violence

Continue checking this website for more information about the Security and
Prosperity Partnership. We´ll post new information about the Montebello
summit as it becomes available. Visit often for up-to- the-minute updates.

    « return to index

    TAKE ACTION!

   1. Send an op-ed to your local newspaper
   2. Send this site to a friend

Facebook del.icio.us DiggIt Reddit

<><><><><><><><>

[2] Canadian Peace Alliance

http://www.acp-cpa.ca/en/SPPEvents.htm

Lay out the "Unwelcome Mat" for George Bush, Felipe Calderon and Steven
Harper at the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP) Summit

Harper and his new friends will be meeting at Montebello Quebec from August
21-23rd 2007. These 3 Neo-Liberal amigos will be discussing the North
American Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP).

The Canadian Peace Alliance and Collectif Échec à la guerre are jointly
calling for demonstrations to coincide with the SPP summit.

The CPA is urging its member groups to, wherever possible, join
demonstrations and other events that will be happening in Ottawa and
Montebello and if travel is not possible to demonstrate against war and the
SPP in your home towns. Please send us the details of your events to post on
the website.

The details of events in Ottawa and Montebello are still TBA yet we do know
that there will be a mass rally in Ottawa on the 19th of August, teach-ins
and other events on the 20th and demonstrations at the summit site on the
21st. Some groups have already started booking buses to get to the rally on
the 19th. Book your time off work now so that you can take part in all three
days of events.

Keep checking this space for more details as they become available.
For more info on the SPP please check the Council of Canadians website at
www.canadians.org

Call to Action

No to War
No to the Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America

On August 21 and 22, at Château Montebello, in the Outaouais region of
Québec, the third meeting of the leaders of Canada, the United States and
Mexico - Harper, Bush and Calderon, will take place to discuss the Security
and Prosperity Partnership of North America (SPP). The Canadian Peace
Alliance and Collectif Échec à la guerre denounce this partnership among the
top business and political leaders of all three countries, because it will
not improve the security and prosperity of the people but will work against
their aspirations. We call all peace supporting organizations and
individuals to protest war and the SPP this August.

The Security and Prosperity Partnership of North America (SPP) was signed by
Prime Minister Paul Martin and Presidents Vicente Fox and George W. Bush on
March 23, 2005. Then came the second summit in Cancun, in March 2006, where
Stephen Harper represented Canada. Media reporting of these meetings ignored
the crucial issues at the heart of this "partnership": the accelerated
extraction and delivery of Canadian oil and water resources to the US
economy; a deepening of economic partnership with the US conditional to a
war driven foreign policy; the pretext of "national security" to justify the
secrecy surrounding the precise nature of the discussions and the deals
made.

Guarantying and increasing the profits of the largest corporations

In the aftermath of the September 11 2001 attacks, George W. Bush declared
"Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists".
That year, the only directive given to Paul Celluci, as he became US
ambassador to Canada, was to do whatever he could to bring about a major
increase in Canadian military spending. During his term, he repeated
relentlessly that, for the US, "security trumps trade". The message was
clear: unless Canada adopted the same "security" agenda as the US, our trade
relations would suffer.

It is in this context that in January 2003 the Canadian Council of Chief
Executives (CCCE) launched its North-American Security and Prosperity
Initiative, in which it takes a stand in favour of the "smart border", the
secure flow of Canadian energy resources to the US, Ballistic Missile
Defense (BMD), a major increase in military spending and interoperability of
Canadian and US armed forces. In April 2004, in a policy document entitled
New Frontiers: Building a 21st Century Canada-United States Partnership in
North-America, the CCCE wholeheartedly embraced Bush´s credo: "The way that
we and other countries respond to the relentless threat of terrorism and
rogue states has vital implications for global economic growth just as it
does for Canada´s future (...). In short, for Canada and for the world as a
whole, economic security and physical security have become inseparable." In
April 2003 and 2004, the CCCE held its spring meetings in Washington,
inviting several US military and political leaders to participate.

On to War !

Change in the international role of the Canadian Forces (CF) towards
offensive operations in partnership with the US military has taken place
gradually, over the last 15 years, without any public debate or awareness.
In February 2005, it was made official in the Liberal government´s budget,
announcing the greatest increase in military spending since the end of World
War II (12.8 Billion $ over five years). The following month, echoing the
demands of the powerful Canadian corporate lobby and adopting their
proposals almost to the word, the SPP was signed. The real significance of
this "partnership"
would become clearer over the following months.

On April 19 2005, the new International Policy Statement (IPS) of the Martin
government announced its intention to increase regular forces by 5,000
members and reserves by another 3,000, as well as to double the rapid
deployment capacity of the Canadian military for missions abroad. And in
July 2005, it was announced that the Canadian intervention in Afghanistan
would move from Kabul to Kandahar, and that starting in February 2006, an
extra 1,400 soldiers would be sent to that area. This news was accompanied
by declarations by the new Chief of Defence Staff, Rick Hillier, rejoicing
at the thought of hunting down terrorist "scumbags" and to see the Canadian
Forces finally doing their real job of being "able to kill people".

Anti-democratic policies

Granting the wishes of Canada´s largest corporations - those who also
benefit the most from military and "security" contracts - the Government of
Canada has forced on the people a warmaking foreign policy that the majority
continues to reject. Furthermore, as was revealed a few months ago, in the
name of that same partnership, the goal of increasing fivefold the
production of oil in the Alberta tar sands by 2030 has been decided. This
makes even more ludicrous the recent Conservative government statements of
seriously wanting to address the issue of greenhouse gases and to follow the
spirit of the Kyoto Protocol. On this issue, the gap between government
policies and the will of the people is even more obvious.

This third SPP summit will bring together a US president whose policies are
backed by hardly a quarter of his own people, a Mexican president whose
election is highly disputed, and a Canadian Prime Minister heading a
minority government. The deals they will make in Montebello, with no
parliamentary debate or public discussion, will have no legitimacy. The
Canadian Peace Alliance and Collectif Échec à la Guerre therefore call on
the people of Québec and Canada to reaffirm their opposition to the
warmongering, anti-environmental and anti-democratic policies of the
Security and Prosperity Partnership and to protest the SPP summit.

No to the wars of occupation in Iraq and Afghanistan No to the accelerated
destruction of our planet No to the Security and Prosperity Partnership of
North America

<><><><><>

[3] NOWAR Paix
http://www.nowar-paix.ca/

Ottawa Area Actions, Events & Meetings: Everyone is Welcome STOP THE SPP
Action Committee Plan Ottawa/Gatineau actions for the "3 Amigos Banditos"
meeting this summer.

wake upNext meeting: Tuesday, July 17, 7pm PSAC Bldg., 233 Gilmour Street

All interested individuals welcome.
Make sure your group is represented!

Callout français                                     English Callout

The  3 banditos, Harper, Bush and Calderón (President of Mexico) are meeting
in Montebello, Quebec on 21-22 August to continue their secret negotiations
on the Security and Prosperity Partnership (SPP).
 They will be joined by the North American Competitiveness Council made up
of 30 CEOs from large corporations (10 from Canada). These corporations have
exclusive influence on these "free-trade plus security" agreements that will
further deregulate trade, give up Canada´s control of its water, gas and
oil, more deeply integrate security with the US.  All of this will be done
through agreements that bypass Parliament and exclude civil society sectors
such as unions, churches, students, environmental, human rights and peace
groups.  So far the media has all but ignored the critical issues being
decided in secrecy.  Let's expose the SPP!

Join the Stop SPP Mailing List
Download the Callout.  Email it to all your contacts.

Download the one-page Fact Sheet
Callout by the Canadian Peace Alliance
Callout by Collectif Échec à la guerre.
See also More Information on the SPP from the
-- Council of Canadians
-- Common Frontiers

<><><><><>

[4] Toronto.tao.ca
http://toronto.tao.ca/node/9251
Convergence against the SPP Montebello Québec Submitted by toad on 11 July,
2007 - 18:11.

    * Canada
    * free trade
    * liberalization
    * Montebello
    * NAFTA
    * neoliberal
    * SPP
    * trade

Start: 20 Aug 2007 - 09:00
End: 20 Aug 2007 - 23:55

BUSH--HARPER-CALDERON Meet in Montebello, Quebec August 2007

**Join the Convergence**
August 19th: Ottawa
August 20th: Montebello, Quebec

The SPP is being presented as an integration plan for `prosperity´ through
continental cooperation on trade and border relations. The founding premise
of the SPP is that economic prosperity is dependent on security. Broken
down, the SPP is merely NAFTA by another name.

SPP was founded in March 2005, in Cancun, at a summit of the Heads of State
of Canada, the US, and Mexico. Since then, there have been several meetings
for the SPP, including a summit in March 2006 in Texas and a preparatory
meeting in Ottawa in February 2007.

We know that the real face of SPP is to further an agenda of free trade,
border `security´, repression, and cooperation in war and occupation.

SPP is not an official treaty; it is not an official law and will never be
debated in the House of Commons.

On August 21st 2007, the three Heads of State will meet for a third
tri-national Summit to forward the SPP agreements. People in Montreal,
Ottawa, and Quebec City have already begun organizing to confront this
Summit in Montebello, to confront the agenda of SPP and the agenda of George
W Bush, Stephan Harper, and Felipe Calderon.

Groups involved in organizing for the Summit are planning a large scale
mobilization in Ottawa on Sunday, August 19th and then in Montebello on
Monday, August 20th.

Toronto Organizing Committee
Contact the Ontario Public Interest Research Group - Toronto
Opirg.Toronto at utoronto.ca 416-978-7770

Confront the SPP!
Confront BUSH - HARPER - CALDERON August, 2007!
»