[Sust-mar] Resist Atlantica! June 13-16 in Halifax

Aaron Koleszar aaronkol at isn.net
Mon Jun 11 13:55:06 EDT 2007

Resist Atlantica! Mobilize on Halifax vs. Atlantica Congress: June 13 - 16

For a schedule of the teach-ins, presentations and protests, see below or
visit: http://www.resist.stopatlantica.org/schedule.html

For billeting information, visit:
http://www.resist.stopatlantica.org/logistics.html

To arrange/offer rides to Halifax, email: ridestoatlantica at gmail.com

About Atlantica

Atlantica is the abbreviated name for the Atlantic Northeast Eco-nomic
Region (AINER), a cross-border trade concept spanning the Maritime
provinces, Newfoundland, southern Quebec, and the New England states ( i.e.
Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, and upstate New York). Its main proponent
and originator is a right-wing think-tank group called the Atlantic
Institute for Market Studies (AIMS), whose board of directors represents
many big-business interests in the Atlantic region.

The proponents of Atlantica wish to develop a conduit to channel Asian
goods to the United States through the Atlantic Provinces. Massive
container ships called "post-Panamax" are too large to pass through the
Panama Canal and Halifax is the closest North American port for ships from
Asia via the Suez Canal. These containers would reach their destinations
via "truck trains," resulting in increased greenhouse gas emissions, higher
fatal-crash rates per mile, as well as the likely expansion of
superhighways through communities, wilderness, and farmland.

Atlantica is also about increasing exports of unprocessed resources, like
energy and water, from Canada to the United States. The intent is to export
oil and gas from the Atlantic offshore as quickly as possible on terms that
favour industry and leave decisions regarding exports to deregulated markets.

The Atlantica tag line is "business without borders," which has adouble
meaning: business unhampered by the international border, but also unbound
from what AIMS refers to as "policy distress factors" such as minimum
wages, social program spending, environmental regulation, public ownership
and unionization. This kind of language is eerily familiar to that of NAFTA
and the FTAA, stemming from a neo-liberal agenda that aims to dismantle
"trade barriers."

The results of Atlantica would be to expedite a race to the bottom for the
majority of people in the region. Knowing this, the governments and
institutions involved have tried to negotiate and implement this policy
undemocratically behind closed doors.

On June 14th, 15th and 16th Premiers, Governors and others that support
Atlantica will be meeting in Halifax for the Atlantica congress, aiming to
advance on their corporate agenda....but....

THE RESISTANCE

Grass-roots organizations, labour, environmental organizations, peace
groups, religious organizations, students, and people who care about social
& environmental justice in general are collaborating for three days of
events including teach-ins, a critical mass bike ride, a march through
downtown Halifax, a street party and a picnic. We invite you to come join
us on these days and voice your opposition to Atlantica!

Websites

Resist Atlantica
http://www.resist.stopatlantica.org/

Atlantica Watch
United Against the Agenda for the International Northeast Economic Region
(a.k.a. Atlantica)
http://www.stopatlantica.org/

Maritimes Independent Media Centre
http://maritimes.indymedia.org/

"We are the Canadian Forces, and our job is to be able to kill people."
    - General Rick Hillier

Civil disobedience is not our problem.
Our problem is civil obedience.
Our problem is that numbers of people all over the world
have obeyed the dictates of the leaders of their government and have gone
to war,
and millions have been killed because of this obedience.
Our problem is that people are obedient all over the world
in the face of poverty and starvation and stupidity, and war, and cruelty.
Our problem is that people are obedient while the jails are full of petty
thieves,
and all the while the grand thieves are running and robbing the country.
That's our problem."
- Howard Zinn, Failure to Quit