[Sust-mar] natural building workshops

kim thompson shipharbour at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Jun 27 22:53:46 EDT 2007

Several great natural building workshops are fast approaching!!
--------
Natural Walls and Benches
July 13-15 (Friday evening to Sunday afternoon):

Learn how to make cob, light straw clay, earth plaster, and clay
paint with Kim Thompson.
Friday evening: introduction to Natural building, slide show and talk
Saturday and Sunday:  hands-on building and instruction.

This workshop will take place on an organic farm in Hants County,on
hour from Halifax, as part of a passive solar house construction.

Camping and a limited number of indoor spaces are available for
overnight accommodation.  Food will be provided on-site.
There is a pond and river for swimming.  Please bring old clothes
because the work will be messy.

Please register ahead of time as spaces are limited.  Contact Jen
Scott, 902-757-1640 or jen at ns.sympatico.ca.

Little Foot Yurts will be running two yurt building workshops this
summer:
Ancient Futures: An Introductory Yurt Building Workshop

The jewels of knowledge from our indigenous past have provided
sustainable ways of life. Join Little Foot Yurts; makers of
traditional style yurts to learn about ancient techniques from all
over the world to create a temporary, affordable, eco-friendly shelter.

After hosting residential yurt building workshops over the winter at
our home in the valley we want to increase the accessibility of our
workshops by offering them in other Atlantic areas.

This two and a half day workshop will provide a thorough introduction
to yurts, and the basics of natural yurt construction including:
coppice as a timber crop, Acadian forest species, using a drawknife &
froe, firing a forced air forge, hand splitting wood and erecting a
yurt. Open to all skill levels. Leave with the practical skills and
resources to start building the first stages of your own yurt.

When & Where: Friday, July 20th 7-9pm (Just Us Coffee, 1678
Barrington Street, Halifax) Saturday, July 21st-Sunday July 22nd
(2699 Northwood Terrace, Halifax)

Workshop Fee: $182.40 ($160 plus HST) includes vegetarian lunches &
snacks on Saturday and Sunday, and a yurt construction zine)

Registration:  Please register online at www.lfy.ca/
yurt_building_workshop/registration.html for the Halifax workshop.
Numbers are limited so please register and send in your deposit as
soon as possible.

Deadline Date: A non-refundable deposit of $80 will be required to
reserve your spot. Deposit deadline is July 10th.

For more information please contact Selene Cole at 902 670-4556
info at lfy.ca  or visit www.lfy.ca