[Sust-mar] Sierra Club of Canada - Atlantic Canada Chapter Annual Gathering 2007 June 22 - 24 in PEI!

Emily McMillan emilym at sierraclub.ca
Wed May 2 12:12:11 EDT 2007

Sierra Club of Canada – Atlantic Canada Chapter Annual Gathering 2007 June
22 – 24, 2007 This Year's Theme:

WELLSPRING
Water, Wonder and Environmental Revolution

The Sierra Club of Canada - Atlantic Canada Chapter invites you to join us
for a weekend of green good times from June 22 - 24 at Camp Keir, located in
Canoe Cove on the south shore of beautiful Prince Edward Island.  The
gathering, an annual event held to honour and inspire Sierra Club members
and supporters and to celebrate Atlantic Canada's beautiful natural
environment, will include:
 	Expert panel on protecting water quality
 	Lively discussion on sustainable energy in Atlantic Canada
 	Skill-building exercises to help you become a better advocate for
the environment
 	Campfires, boating, hiking, swimming, clam digging, music
  	Field trips to local eco-attractions
 	Silent auction
  	Delicious local vegetarian/vegan food
 	Great company

Attendance at all program events is open to all ages. Everyone is welcome!

For more information or to register check out:

http://www.sierraclub.ca/atlantic/getinvolved/events/agm/aga2007.htm

or contact Emily McMillan at 902-444-3113 or emilym at sierraclub.ca.

Volunteers and Donors
If you would like to help organize this event or would like to donate items
for the silent auction, please contact us!

Theme for Gathering 2007
WELLSPRING
Water, Wonder, and Environmental Revolution

We drink it, wash with it, play in it, draw food from it
 2/3 of our bodies
is water! Life on earth evolved from aquatic environments, and our rivers,
oceans, and lakes are often wellsprings for a deep connection with the
natural world. Unfortunately, perhaps because we live in a country with
bounteous freshwater resources, we often take water for granted. Yet, our
freshwater rivers and lakes, subsurface aquifers, and coastlines are
threatened by chemical pollution, sewage, and over-use of fertilizers. There
are also concerns that this essential ingredient for all life will become a
commodity, putting a price on what is considered a basic human right.

The subtitle of our theme, 'Water, Wonder, and Environmental Revolution',
indicates our hopes for this year's gathering, and its outcomes for those
who attend:
•	to focus attention on the current state of our water and aquatic
habitats and reveal how we can act to protect them;
•	to renew our wonder for the wild spaces - watery and otherwise -
that support us and bring us so much pleasure; and
•	finally, we hope that the energy you will feel and the people you
meet will re-invigorate you and your community to engage in your own
environmental revolution, that you will access your own personal wellspring!

WHERE:
Camp Keir is located in the beautiful community of Canoe Cove, PEI,
surrounded by woods and bordering on the Northumberland Strait. The
spectacular Bonshaw Hills biking/hiking trail and canoeing on the West River
are within 3 km, and many other parks and trails are in the area.
Directions: From Charlottetown, turn off TCH at Cornwall to take route
19/19A to Canoe Cove; from west (Borden-Carleton/Confederation Bridge), turn
at Desable and follow the Blue Heron Drive (Route 19) to Canoe Cove. Watch
for the sign- Camp Keir is located behind Canoe Cove Presbyterian Church.
Website for Camp: http://www.campkeir.ca phone 902-675-3734

ACCOMMODATION
Camp Keir offers comfortable accommodations with three to six campers per
room. The site features a sports field, beautiful sandy beach and natural
surroundings to explore. Other commercial accommodation is also available -
please see the AGA 2007 website for a list of cottages / inns located near
the camp.

FOOD
Vegetarian food will be provided, with vegan meals offered on request.

REGISTRATION***
Registration includes carbon offsets, all meals, childcare, tenting and
conference fees and display space.
- Bedspace $10 extra

- $65 Regular ... Early bird registration until June 1st:  $55
- $45 Student / Low-Income ... Early bird registration until June 1st: $35
- $25 Saturday only (includes lunch and dinner)

*** Don't let finances be a barrier! No one will be turned away for lack of
funds – please contact us!

To register, go to:
http://www.sierraclub.ca/atlantic/getinvolved/events/agm/aga2007.htm
or call 902-444-3113.

Emily McMillan
Director
Sierra Club of Canada - Atlantic Canada Chapter
532-1657 Barrington St.
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3J 2A1
Phone: 902-444-3113
Fax: 902-444-3116