[Sust-mar] World Oceans Day Ocean Gyre Performance - Volunteers Needed

susanna fuller susannadfuller at gmail.com
Wed May 16 11:59:13 EDT 2007

People wanted for Oceans Day Ecology Art Performance!

In celebration of World Oceans Day (June 8th), and to raise awareness
of the effects people have on the marine environment, join us in
creating an Ocean Gyre - a whirling vortex of flotsam, a choreography
of ocean currents and garbage - and become, for just a few minutes,
part of the ocean!

Oceans sustain us with food. They are home to wondrous creatures, and
seemingly endless horizons upon which to gaze. Human activity is
disturbing the world's oceans. Fish stocks are collapsing, coral reefs
are not recovering, and no end of junk is found in what is
scientifically-described as ocean gyres (which contain floating trash,
an unfathomable collection of debris far from human presence).
Climate change promises to change our oceans even more.

The Ocean Gyre Ecology Art Performance will be filmed and documented
as an artistic expression of our concern about our ocean environment.

WHEN: Friday June 8, 2007, From 2 - 3p.m. World Oceans Day
WHERE: Meet at bottom of Citadel Hill, corner of Sackville and Bell.
(Rain date June 9, 2 - 3p.m)
WHAT:  Four circles of people will run in opposite directions for
approximately 7 minutes at a slow to moderate pace to form an OCEAN
GYRE
WHO:  100 people needed to wear a piece of clothing that is blue,
green or your favourite ocean colour, AND attach a piece of plastic,
pinned or tied.

Bring yourself, and friends, and family!

PLEASE RSVP YOUR PARTICIPATION TO: oceangyre at gmail

Performance supported by the Ecology Action Centre's Marine Issues Committee

--
Susanna Fuller
5685 Bloomfield St.

Biology Department