[Sust-mar] Support needed against Uranium exploration

Ellen durkee ellen_durkee at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 7 11:47:55 EDT 2007

 Hello all,             Donna Dillman is a Nova Scotia native, she grew up in the Musquodoboit Valley area. She needs our support, Please join me in helping Donna reach her goal. Having a moratorium placed on Uranium exploration/mining. Call, write, email , talk to your friends and please pass this mail along to all of your personal contacts, as well as any contact lists you may be members of.Your voice counts, so please stand and be counted. Ellen DurkeeNova Scotia{902} 673-2368 > GRANDMOTHER ON HUNGER STRIKE FOR A MORATORIUM ON URANIUM EXPLORATION/MINING> IN EASTERN ONTARIO> > On October 8th, Lanark area resident Donna Dillman began a hunger strike> in a personal effort to affect a moratorium on uranium exploration and> mining in Eastern Ontario. She is camped out outside the> gate at the blockaded site at Robertsville, 12 km. north of Sharbot Lake> on hwy 509, and plans to remain there until the moratorium is in place.> > Thirty thousand acres have been staked by Frontenac Ventures for uranium> exploration in North Frontenac, Central Frontenac and Lanark Counties. The> mine site at Robertsville has been blockaded by the Ardoch Algonquin First> Nation and Shabot Obaadgiwan First Nation since June 29 this year.> > While on book tour last month, Donna visited several tailing sites in Elliot> Lake and came home convinced that she must act. The tailings - the waste> left behind after mining - stretches on for miles, in some cases filling> lakes, and rising 30 or more feet into the air. The waste remains> radioactive, and turns the water passing through it into sulphuric acid.> According to the environmental assessment conducted on the tailing sites,> they must be looked after "in perpetuity."> > "We can live for a long time without food, but clean water is essential to> all life," says the 53 year-old grandmother. Mother of four, aged 17 to> 31, Donna last year witnessed 'hands-on' the birth of her youngest> granddaughter. That further fueled her desire to act on behalf of> grandchildren everywhere.> > As a society, our goal is economic expansion, regardless of> the devastation to the environment and the community. Nuclear power simply> postpones a mature choice, while producing numerous radioactive hot spots to> add to the problem. "Sooner or later,"> Donna says, "we will have to learn how to live responsibly within planetary> limits. I am taking this action to say that we should accept that> responsibility,> rather than leaving it for our grandchildren to deal with. I am hoping> that people will get behind me and demand this moratorium, so that our> future in Eastern Ontario, and elsewhere, remains viable. People can write> to their MPP and MP, to the Premier of Ontario, to Prime Minister Steven> Harper, their local newspapers, blog about it, email their lists and talk to> their friends and neighbours and support the groups that are dedicating> their time to keeping the water we> drink and the air we breath safe for generations to come." For ongoing> information on the hunger strike and the blockage at the mine site, please> see> www.ccamu.ca> > > -30-> contact info after Oct 8th:> Lynn Daniluk> RR#3> Maberly, ON> K0B 2B0> 613-267-0539> > > > >Beta 8.5 ? Get the latest for> >> free today! http://entertainment.sympatico.msn.ca/WindowsLiveMessenger> >> >> > >