[Sust-mar] IBS Social Forum Sept 7

IBS ibs_pei at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 3 18:25:25 EDT 2008

The IBS Social Forums resume Sunday September  7, 2008 with our special guest Mike Nickerson (See details below).

This
will be a very special evening full of progressive ideas and action
planning. We hope you will plan to attend, as your contributions are
vital to building community and advancing sustainable principles on
Prince Edward Island.

Living on Earth as if we Want to Stay (Sept 7, 2008)
It
may be hard to imagine a civilization where the needs of all are met
without depreciating the environment, where speculative capital has
little choice but to serve real need and where nations and regions have
the ability to make decisions in the interest of their people and the
environment that supports them. However, such a system is possible!

Remember,
we are a tremendously gifted species. Our challenge is not whether or
not it is possible to live secure healthy lives for countless
generations, our challenge is to identify the direction in which we
need to move to accomplish that end, and to exercise our democratic
power so that we can proceed to do so.

Join Mike Nickerson,
author of the new book "Life, Money & Illusion; Living on Earth as
if we want to stay," for a discussion about choosing our future.

Mike
Nickerson has spent 35 years studying cultural evolution and
communicating the sustainability message. His writings include:
"Bakavi; Change the World I Want to Stay On" (1977), "Let's Talk About
Sustainability" (1987), "Planning for Seven Generations" (1993) and the
newly released "Life, Money & Illusion; Living on Earth as if we
want to stay."

With "Life, Money & Illusion" in hand to
provide details, Nickerson is now on a cross country tour introducing
the Question of Direction. The program encourages people to think and
talk about changing customs and institutions, which aim for and benefit
from material expansion, to ones capable of maintaining long-term
well-being while decreasing impacts on the planet and each other.
Nickerson contends that when, as a society, we wholeheartedly choose
the new direction we will find ourselves moving toward a promising
future.

The Institute for Bioregional Studies Ltd. (IBS), invites you to join
our Social Forums; 114 Upper Prince Street.
Come join us at 6:30 p.m. for a pot luck supper followed by a presentation followed by informal
discussion. There is no fee however, participants are asked to bring
something for potluck supper to share during the discussion.
The intent is to build a community action network by sharing ideas and informing
each other about issues affecting our future.
 Phil Ferraro and Nancy Willis
Institute for Bioregional Studies Ltd.
114 Upper Prince Street, Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island Canada  C1A 4S3
"Restoring Community, Protecting the Land and Informing the Earth’s Stewards"
www.ibspei.ca