[Sust-mar] Zenn car debate continued . . . and a question for sust-mar members

Peter Watson pwatson at chebucto.ns.ca
Mon Jan 14 22:14:20 EST 2008

Hello Sust-Martians,

Seems the Zenn car has triggered a lively debate, with many good points
being made and several more messages  now awaiting moderator approval. But
there's currently a lengthy queue, so rather than posting the each new Zenn
car submission one at a time over the coming weeks, I've compiled them all
(unedited of course!) into one message. Please see below.

Though this does bring to mind a concern:  With the one message a day rule
for this list, the queue for approving messages can sometimes get quite
lengthy - there are 12 messages waiting right now.

So here's a question for the faithful sust-mar membership:

To reduce the queues and waiting time, would you prefer that the one message
a day rule be increased to a maximum of two/day?

Advantages: Messages would work through the queue much quicker. It would
allow for more discussion like this one on the Zenn car. More immediacy,
less holdups, more posts and participation by everyone, and less time spent
by me on prioritizing messages. I'd hopefully have to do less 'moderating'.

Disadvantages: More mail for everyone to process. In sust-mar's early
(unmoderated) years,there were times when members left in droves because
their inboxes were flooded out with too many messages and endless debate.
And sometimes less is better - fewer messages can have more impact.

Is it a trade off worth considering? What do you think would be a good
balance - leaving it at one/day, upping it to two/day, or going for
somewhere in between (say 10 messages a week)?

Please send opinions to sust-mar-owner at list.web.net . We'll take a vote.

But back to the Zenn car . . .

RE: The Zenn car

It's true that they COULD be powered with renewable energy. It's much more
likely that they WILL be powered by coal/oil generated energy. Let's put the
horse (energy source) before the (car)t.

As well, there's all the emissions that come from the manufacture and
distrbution of the car. All the exercise you don't get when you drive
instead of walk/bike etc. All the social interactions we don't get when
ensconced in
a car. All the infrastructure that cars need/use. All the death and
mutilation that comes from car accidents. Not to mention the psychological
mutilation that comes from the speeded up pace and uglification of our
surroundin
gs that car culture brings to our lives.

And I doubt very much if they are compostable!

Is there really any such thing as a GREEN car???

PEACE
Geoff Tanner

Thanks for the info on this remarkable car. One important item missing
from the specifications of (and the discussion about) this car is the
actual running costs and environmental impact:

1) That it charges in 4-8 hours from a standard 120v AC outlet is
certainly convenient, but what current does it draw, or more to the
point, how many kilowatt-hours of electrical energy is consumed by a
charge? One would need to know this to estimate the cost of
operations. As was already pointed out, these kWh of energy do not
come emission-free.

2) Typically, lead-acid batteries like to be fully charged or slightly
undercharged, but not run right down.  Repeated deep cycling of
batteries eventually depletes the metal plates inside. How many
recharging cycles are the batteries expected to survive, and what
would be their replacement cost?  How do we assess the environmental
impact of battery manufacture, replacement, and recycling?

I believe that such a car is part of the solution, and answers to
these questions would allow a proper assessment of the vehicle in
relation to other options.

Dave Chapman

Hi,