[Sust-mar] Water Coordinator, Ecology Action Centre, Halifax NS
GoodWork Green Jobs
p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Jun 13 23:45:01 EDT 2008
[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca ]
Position: Water Coordinator
Organization: Ecology Action Centre http://www.ecologyaction.ca
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
The Ecology Action Centre is seeking a Water Coordinator.
This position is a one year, part-time contract to be
extended pending successful fundraising.
The Ecology Action Centre (EAC) is a leading voice on
environmental issues in Nova Scotia. The EAC promotes the
protection and management of coastal areas and watersheds
through research, information sharing, coalition building,
public engagement, and policy change.
The Water Coordinator's main focus will be developing the
EAC's position on provincial water issues by researching
water management case studies, working closely with water
groups around the province, organizing a Water Forum and
preparing a water policy brief.
Responsibilities also will include working collaboratively
with the Coastal Coordinator and other coastal staff and
volunteers; generating media interest in water issues;
fundraising and reporting to funders; and responding to
The Water Coordinator will be part of and report to the
EAC's Coastal Issues Committee. Coastal and freshwater
ecosystems are intrinsically connected and need to be
managed in an integrated manner. The Water Coordinator
will receive mentorship and support from EAC's Coastal
Coordinator. This position will collaborate closely with the
Coastal Coordinator and EAC's Water Advisory Team.
* Work in the EAC's eco-renovated office with 25 other
* Opportunity for flexibility, autonomy, and creativity
* Collaborate with coastal and watershed groups around Nova
* Opportunity to help shape provincial water policy during
vital and exciting period for coastal and water issues in
* Preparing case studies on water issues in Nova Scotia
* Working with and fostering communication between
local water groups
* Organizing a provincial water forum (Winter 2009)
* Preparing an EAC water policy brief and supporting
education and outreach materials
* Generating media and public interest in water issues
* Strategic planning and fundraising
* Participating in and supporting the overall work of
the Coastal Issues Committee and EAC
Skills and Experience
* Science, environmental management, or planning-related
degree with focus on water policy and management, watershed
governance models, land use planning or freshwater ecology
* Excellent research ability and strategic thinking skills
* Enjoys working with community groups and experience
with coalition building and public engagement
* Ability to prioritize and work under deadlines
* Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
* Excellent written and oral communications skills
* Fundraising and proposal writing skills
* Passion for Nova Scotia's environment and environmental
Start: late July, 2008
Wage: $18/hour (52 weeks)
25 hour work-week
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Application: Cover letter, resume and three references
Deadline: 4:00 pm, June 30th
Attention: Jennifer Graham, coastal at ecologyaction.ca,
with subject line: Water Coordinator
We thank all applicants for their time and interest,
however only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Interviews will take place early July.
The Ecology Action Centre was founded in 1971 and is one
of Nova Scotia's most active environmental organizations.
The Centre welcomes new members and volunteers:
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at
PLEASE KEEP GOODWORK SUSTAINABLE:
(1) Help spread the word -- please tell others about GoodWork.
(2) When applying, tell them you saw this opportunity on GoodWork.
(3) Contribute if you can: http://planetfriendly.net/goodworkdonate.html
POST A JOB OR OTHER LISTING:
GoodWork Green Jobs: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca
Green Events Calendar: http://Planetfriendly.net/calendar/
Contact us: http://Planetfriendly.net/inquiry.html
GOODWORK LIST INFO:
SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca
or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
UN-SUBSCRIBE: the unsubscribe address is found at
the very bottom of this message, and here:
GOODWORK relies on your payments and contributions.
Please make your cheque payable to: People and Planet,
PO Box 21006, RPO Ottawa South, Ottawa ON, Canada K1S 5N1.
Or donate online: http://Planetfriendly.net/donate.html
Pay online: http://Planetfriendly.net/goodworkpmt.html
(Not tax-deductible. If you want a receipt, please indicate so,
and include your e-mail address so we can send you one.)
DISCLAIMER: GoodWork/People & Planet does not verify the
accuracy of the messages and listings we distribute. We also do
not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved.
It is the responsibility of the reader to confirm important details
with the other party/organization, and to take any suitable
precautions before accepting employment, a contract or
any other arrangement.
This posting will also be published online.
Any changes or corrections will appear there.
Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001
Listing ID: 6710
More information about the sust-mar