[Sust-mar] building sustainable community

Margaret Tusz King margaret at tatacentre.ca
Tue Jun 17 10:27:46 EDT 2008

Being Part of The Great Turning

Saturday October 25, 2008  8:30 am- 4:30 pm

Tatamagouche Centre

The Great Turning is a transition time - the time we are in now as people around the world are waking up to the downside of the Industrial Growth Economy - an economy that is literally destroying life on this planet.  At this one day workshop, we will use processes developed by Joanna Macy called The Work that Reconnects. The four themes of the participatory workshop are: Expressing Gratitude, Honouring our Pain for the Earth in its Distress, Seeing with New Eyes, and Going Forth.  This gathering is for anyone who cares deeply about the future of our planet. It is a time for busy change makers to pause, feel, reconnect and go forth.  If you have not participated in a previous workshop we encourage you to visit Joanna Macy's website at http://www.joannamacy.net/.

Facilitation team: Roger Davies, Ursula Klum, Ann Manicom, and Ralph Martin

Cost: $30 includes workshop, lunch and snacks on Oct. 25.

Start time: Given the 8:30 am start time, those traveling from a distance may wish to arrange local accommodation. Accommodation is available at the Tatamagouche Centre for a rate of $36/night.

To Register: Tatamagouche Centre, 1-800-218-2220 or www.tatacentre.ca

The Tatamagouche Centre is offering two other related workshops that link spirituality, environment and social justice

  a.. Hope in a Time of Climate Change,  July 14- 16, with Stephen Bede Scharper who critiques environmental spiritualities that ignore social justice, and believes that a political theology of the environment, based on a preferential option for the poor, offers hope for a transformed way of being human as we face our ecological reality.
  b.. Serving Empire or Christian Community, Nov 21- 22, with Bill Scarvie, based on David Korten's provocative book, The Great Turning: from Empire to Earth Community and the United Church resource Living Faithfully in the Midst of Empire. Truly living out the Christian story offers an alternative to our current, prevailing "Empire" of industrial growth, and materialistic illusions of winner or loser, rule or be ruled. Join Bill Scarvie, and explore a Christian call to live in sustainable community, realizing life as overflowing with creative abundance and opportunity. Deepen your understanding of how to live your personal life, and life with your faith community.
  c.. Change the Story, Change the Future: Nov 23,  Based on David Korten's work, "The Great Turning: From Empire to Earth Community",  join Bill Scarvie for a day program exploring the stories that we humans live and are defined by.The premise is that these stories have largely been under the control of institutions that are organized by the dominator principles of Empire, encouraging consumption and exploitation of precious resources. This workshop will review these stories and principles, and present an alternative - the "great turning" toward the partnership principles of Earth Community. Participants will learn to recognize stories of Empire, and to craft alternative stories of Earth Community, to change the world. Participants are encouraged to read the book, or visit www.yesmagazine.org/greatturning/. Cost: $75 includes tuition, lunch, snacks