[Sust-mar] Preserving PEI Farmland

IBS ibs_pei at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 28 15:09:52 EDT 2008

 Preserving P. E. I.’s Agricultural  Land: Investment Options, Trusts & Ownership Structures

The PEI ADAPT Council invites you to join us, on Thursday November 13,
2008, for an important day of discussion on preserving the land that feeds us;
Prince Edward Island’s agricultural land.

Agriculture is an important part of PEI’s economy. One of every 5 jobs in
PEI is agriculturally related. Farmland also offers environmental benefits
including wildlife habitat and the potential for groundwater recharge. Local
agriculture helps to meet sustainable development goals; and the aesthetic
landscapes are important for attracting visitors and for maintaining our high
quality of life.

However, over the past 20 years their has been a consolidation of PEI farms
resulting in a 40% decrease in the number of farms. Although the average size of
remaining farms has increased, resulting in a fairly stable amount of total
acreage being farmed, the vast majority of farmers are nearing retirement age
and few of them have a succession plan in place.  Today, approximately, 90%
of new Canadian farmers are small diversified, direct marketing
entrepreneurs.

This situation poses a question of an emerging issue. Who will continue to
farm, own and control the land?

We will review the history of land ownership on PEI, various options for
preserving the land and ways of attracting new investment to help support Island
agriculture.

We hope you will join us on Thursday November 13, 2008, listen to our guest
speakers, offer your comments and help contribute to an action plan for
preserving the land we cherish. The day’s schedule runs from 9:30 a.m until 2:15
p.m. There is no fee and a light lunch will be provided. Please call the ADAPT
Council office (902-368-2005) to reserve a space and confirm your participation.
Thank you.

Sincerely,
Elmer MacDonald, Chair PEI ADAPT Council

Agenda:

Preserving P. E. I.’s Agricultural Land: Investment
Options, Trusts & Ownership Structures

Where: Farm Centre, 420 University Avenue, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island
Date: Thursday November 13, 2008
Time: 9:30 a.m.  -  2:45 p.m.

9:30  - 9:35 a.m. - Welcome
    Elmer MacDonald, Chair PEI ADAPT Council

9:35 - 9:45 - Greetings from PEI Government
Hon. Wesley J. Sheridan, Provincial Treasurer

9:40  - 10:10 - Prince Edward Island History Lesson on Land Tenure
Boyde Beck, Island Historian PEI Museum and Heritage Foundation

Questions

10:15  - 10:30 -  Report on The Land Trust Alliance, 2008 Conference & Training Seminar
   Phil Ferraro, > Executive Director PEI ADAPT Council

10: 30 - 10:45 - Coffee and Nutrition Break

10:45 - 11:15 - Attracting Investment Capital for Island Farmers: Real Estate Income Trusts (REITs)
Tim Carroll, Associate Professor, Business UPEI

Questions

11: 30 - 12:45 - Lunch with Special Guest, Chris Payne,  Nova Scotia Economic Development
             Investing in Local Economic Development
            Nova Scotia’s Community Economic Development Investment Fund

Questions

1:00 - 2:00 - How Land Trusts and Agricultural Easements Can Protect Farmland
 Melissa Watkins, Executive  Director Ontario Farmland Trust

Questions

2:15 - 2:45 Panel Discussion, Questions and Answers & Next
 Phil Ferraro and Nancy Willis
Institute for Bioregional Studies Ltd.
114 Upper Prince Street, Charlottetown
Prince Edward Island Canada  C1A 4S3
"Restoring Community, Protecting the Land and Informing the Earth’s Stewards"
www.ibspei.ca