[Sust-mar] UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS for earth, peace, and justice

Janelle Frail janellefrail at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 21 15:06:20 EDT 2008

Please circulate widely,
IF WOMEN COUNTED FILM SCREENING AND DISCUSSION IN TRURO ON SEPT. 23Tuesday, September 23, 2008, 7:00-9:30 PMNova Scotia Community College, Arthur Street, Truro, NS.  (go to the Salonoff the Cafeteria)Free public event. All welcome.Come to watch the powerful documentary 'Who's Counting: Marilyn Waring onSex, Lies and Global Economics' (1995). About this film, David Suzuki said,'I give the film and Ms. Waring every superlative - riveting, revealing,inspiring, etcŠ It penetrates to the heart of the global, ecological, andsocial crisis that afflicts the worldŠ required viewing for all who know weare on a destructive path and want to get off.' After the film, engage in amoderated discussion about women's role in society and the importance ofwomen in leadership, politics and business facilitated by Tamara Lorincz,Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Network, and a founding memberof Equal Voice Nova Scotia. Refreshments and draw prizes.If women counted, how would our world be different and better?A special event sponsored by the Zonta Club of Truro AreaThe Zonta Club of Truro Area, is  an affiliate of Zonta International, aglobal organization of women and men working together to advance the statusof women worldwide through service and advocacy. Zonta members volunteertheir time, talents and money to local and international service projects,as well as scholarship and award programs aimed at furthering women'seducation, leadership and youth development. For more information call897-2625 or check out www.zonta.orgBOOK LAUNCH: FROM POVERTY TO POWER: HOW ACTIVE CITIZENS AND EFFECTIVE STATESCAN CHANGE THE WORLDMost of us feel overwhelmed when we contemplate the number of people across

the globe suffering the brunt of poverty. Join editor Mark Fried at thelaunch of Oxfam International's new book, From Poverty to Power, for adiscussion on how ordinary people through organized action can helpeliminate poverty, and its related challenges of inequality andenvironmental collapse. Mark Fried is the Advocacy Coordinator for OxfamCanada and writes regularly on policy issues related to internationaldevelopment.Oxfam Canada (www.oxfam.ca) is an international development agency workingwith over 100 partner organizations in Africa, the Americas and Asia. With aspecific focus on women, Oxfam strives to tackle the root causes of poverty,injustice, and inequality and it helps to create self-reliant andsustainable communities. Two NS locations:HALIFAXTuesday September 30, 2008North Branch Public Library, Gottingen St7:00 - 8:30pm WOLFVILLEWednesday October 1st, 2008Al Whittle Theatre, Wolfville7:00 - 9:00pm'STORY OF STUFF: TOWARD SUSTAINABLE CONSUMPTION AND PRODUCTION' FILM &DISCUSSION SEPT & OCT The Story of Stuff exposes the connections between ahuge number of environmental and social issues, and calls us together tocreate a more sustainable and just world. Join us for the screening of thispopular film followed by a discussion to explore ways we can become moresustainable. Participants will also learn about the new Nova ScotiaEnvironmental Goals and Sustainable Prosperity Act and how citizens canbecome more environmentally and socially responsible. Participants willreceive resources to help them take action in their homes and communities.There will also be draw prizes for the new book 'Go Green: How to Build anEarth-Friendly Community.'  Presented by Tamara Lorincz, Executive Directorof the Nova Scotia Environmental Network and the Coordinator of theSustainability Education in Nova Scotia for Everyone Working Group.§   Musquodoboit Harbour Public Library Wed, Sept 24/6:30 p.m.Registration required.§       Alderney Gate Public Library Wed, Oct 1/7 p.m.§ Keshen Goodman Public Library Wed, Oct 8/7 p.m.§        Tantallon Public Library Tues, Oct 21/7 p.m.DR. HELEN CALDICOTT ''HOW NUCLEAR ENERGY AND GLOBAL WARMING AFFECTS YOURHEALTH' ON 7PM TH. SEPT. 25 HALIFAX Thursday, September 25 from 7:00-9:00PM, McNally Theatre, Saint Mary's University, 923 Robie St, Halifax. Dr.Helen Caldicott, internationally acclaimed nuclear activist, author, andNobel Prize nominee will be speaking in Halifax. This free public talk isorganized by Physicians for Global Survival and sponsored by DalhousieUniversity  and Saint Mary's University. For more information: www.pgs.caNAOMI KLEIN, 'SHOCK DOCTRINE: THE RISE OF DISASTER CAPITALISM' FRIDAY, SEPT.26 MCCAIN BLDG. DALHOUSIE. Naomi Klein, journalist and author of 'No Logo'and 'Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism' will be speaking inHalifax on Friday, Sept. 26 at Ondaatje Theatre in the McCain Building, atDalhousie University, 6045 University Avenue. More about Naomi:http://www.naomiklein.orgNSEN ANNUAL GATHERING ON SAT. OCT. 4 IN HALIFAX - SEND A REP!The Nova Scotia Environmental Network is hosting its Annual Gathering tobring environmentalists together to share ideas and resources on our mostpressing environmental challenges and to celebrate our successes. Come tohear key note speakers, find ways to work better together, strategize, andcreate a vision and actions for the environmental movement. The gathering isentitled 'Working Together to Create a Sustainable Future' that will beheld on Saturday, October 4 9:30AM-4:30 PM Women's Council House, 989 YoungAve, Halifax. We will hear from Emile Jr. Massenat, Associate ExecutiveDirector of the Canadian Environmental Network, have a key note from JacquesLapointe, Auditor General of the Province of Nova Scotia (to be confirmed),and have a strategic planning session with Rochelle Owen, Director of theOffice of Sustainability, Dalhousie University and former Atlantic Head ofPublic Education and Engagement at Environment Canada. NSEN Member $15Non-member $25 (includes Individual Membership) please register before
October 1. See www.nsen.ca/ for the registration form for more details and toregister.NOVA SCOTIA'S POWER OF GREEN CONFERENCE ON MONDAY, OCT. 20Nova Scotia government's conference on sustainability and innovative greenbusiness opportunities and technologies. Stay tuned to the web site for theschedule and registration: http://www.thepowerofgreen.ca/NATURE TRUST 11TH ANNUAL DINNER AND SILENT AUCTION ON OCT. 30, 2008 -TICKETS AVAILABLE NOW! Regular tickets (normally $125) and Patron tickets(normally $175). The Nature Trust's largest annual event and fundraiserwith Stephen Lewis, world-famous health activist, who places his well-knownpassion and vision towards the topic of the connection between landconservation and world health. More info: http://www.nsnt.ca/OXFAM IN THE WORLD: WOMEN AND THE FIGHT AGAINST CLIMATE CHANGE SCHEDULEThe effects of climate change are more obvious by the day and already havinga disproportionate impact on people in developing countries, and it'shitting women hardest. Come and view a short film about a woman determinedto do her part to put a stop to climate change. For more information seewww.oxfam.ca or call 425-7877. Oxfam Canada is an international developmentagency working with partners worldwide to tackle the root causes of poverty,injustice and inequality. It works to create self-reliant and sustainablecommunities with a specific focus on women.Keshen Goodman Public LibraryWednesday, October 29/7:00 pmAlderney Gate Public LibraryWednesday, November 5/7:00 pmHalifax North Memorial Public LibraryThursday, October 30/7:00 pmFind out more: http://www.halifaxpubliclibraries.caOCTOBER 2: JIM STANFORD - CANADIAN CENTRE FOR POLICY ALTERNATIVE FUNDRAISEROn October 2, CCPA-NS are host-ing an exciting evening with dynamic speakerJim Stanford complimented by Chef Franco's food at the Italian CulturalCentre in Halifax. It will prove to be the progres-sive's event of the yearfor 2008. In addition, your ticket purchase will support the work of CCPA-NSas this will mark our first annual Fall fundraiser. Tickets for JimStanford: $35.00 for general tickets, $30.00 for CCPA - NS members and $25.00 for students. Book them soon! For $500.00, you can book a special tableof eight and we will ensure you get recognition in our program. CCPA-NS'work relies on members and donors. Your ticket purchase will help us tocounter the message that there are no alternatives. To purchase tickets,please call Joan Wark, Chair of the CCPA-NS Board  at her office at 454.6735or email: joan.wark at ns.sympatico.ca or drop by Outside the Lines Bookstorewhere tickets will be available starting Tuesday, August 26th. The addressis: 6297 Quinpool Rd., Halifax (Hours: 10:30 am - 8:00 pm Monday throughFriday 10:30 am - 6:00 pm on Saturday). We regret that we cannot processcredit cards so cheques or cash are greatly appreciated.'ARSENAL OF HYPOCRISY: THE U.S. SPACE PROGRAM AND ITS MILITARY INDUSTRIALCOMPLEX' OCT. 7Tuesday, October 7 from 7:00 - 9:00 PMJust Us! Café5896 Spring Garden Rd.HalifaxFree. All Welcome.*In recognition of International Keep Space for Peace Week*A free public showing of an important film for International Keep Space forPeace Week. The film features Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Powerin Space Coordinator Bruce Gagnon, Noam Chomsky and Apollo 14 astronautEdgar Mitchell talking about the very real dangers of moving the arms raceinto space. The one-hour production features archival footage, Pentagondocuments, and clearly outlines the U.S. plan to 'control and dominate'space and the Earth below. Noam Chomsky talks about how the U.S. intends touse space technology to control the Earth and reminds the viewer that the U.S. refuses to negotiate a global ban on weapons in space. He also speaksabout the role of the media in suppressing this important current issue. Thescreening is co-organized with the Nova Scotia Voice of Women. For moreinformation, please contact the Halifax Peace Coalition athfxpeace at chebucto.ca or visit us online at www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca
SENSE: SUSTAINABILITY EDUCATION MEETING ON MON. NOV. 3We will be having an important SENSE general meeting on Monday, November 3from 9:30am-3:30pm in room 20106 of the Nova Scotia Teachers' Union, 3106Joseph Howe Drive (north of the Armdale Rotary) in Halifax. The Nova ScotiaCommunity College President Dr. Joan McArthur-Blair has been invited to beour key note, the Nova Scotia Department of Education will share theirsustainability education work, we will develop action plans forsustainability education in Nova Scotia, and we will be screening our firstSENSE film! We will have a delicious catered lunch. The meeting is open toanyone interested in sustainability education, please RSVP to ensure enoughseats and lunch: nsen at cen-rce.orgFOR OUR BIRDS 2008: SHARING SCIENCE, CONSERVATION AND EDUCATION ABOUT BIRDSIN NOVA SCOTIA IN NOV.!Rowe Management Building, Dalhousie University, Halifax, Nova Scotia9:00 a.m., Saturday, November 15 to 1:00 p.m., Sunday, November 16, 2008Conference Objectives: Increase communication about the science andconservation of birds; Engage new people in bird conservation; Increasepublic awareness and action for birds. Keynote address: Dr. Janis Dickinson,Director of Citizen Science at Laboratory of Ornithology, CornellUniversity. The conference will begin with a keynote address by JanisDickinson, Director of Citizen Science at Cornell University. On Saturday,scientists, birders and government representatives will be makingpresentations. On Sunday workshops will offer more opportunity forinteraction and discussion. Overall we want to ensure that there is a goodmix of learning, sharing of information and exchange of views. On Saturdayevening from 4:30 to 6:30 there will be refreshments (wine and cheese/beerand chips) to allow participants to mingle and discuss the day'spresentations. This will also be an opportunity for students and researchersto present their research and projects (poster session).You can view atentative schedule here:http://www.ecologyaction.ca/coastal/birds/index.htmlENJOY!Tamara LorinczBA, BComm, MBA, LLB55 Willowbend CourtHalifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3Phone: (902) 443-2423Cell: (902) 478-1379tlorincz at dal.caCESR: http://cesr.dsu.dal.caGN: http://www.space4peace.org/HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/NDP: http://www.tamaralorincz.ca'A better world is possible''Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter' -
Dr. Martin Luther King--