[Sust-mar] Workshop/Seminar on Environmental Ethics

Wilf Bean wilfbean at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 14:06:19 EDT 2009

* Tatamagouche Centre
*

*presents* *Environmental Ethicist
Stephen Bede Scharper **on**
*

*Creation, Liberation and the Common Good:
*

*The Heart of the Human Project
*

*Monday, May 11, 2:00 pm to Wednesday, May 13, 1 pm.*

 *What is the goal of "civilization" if its thrust forward leaves behind the
world's ecosystems and a large percentage of our children as veritable
roadkill?
*
What on earth are we doing? Environmental ethicist Stephen Bede Scharper
explores the Option for the Poor and the Option for the Earth – the
connections and common ground between liberation and ecology. Following last
year’s highly successful “Hope in a Time of Climate Change”, this year
Stephen reflects on the framework of both a theology of liberation, as
espoused by Gustavo Gutierrez, and the new cosmology, as proposed by Thomas
Berry. As we unmask the foundational questions raised by our global
environment and poverty crises, we are faced with the question of our human
vocation, what is the “Heart of the Human Project?” Join us to build hope,
and become empowered, not paralyzed, amidst the sobering reality of global
climate change and global poverty.

*Leadership
*

*Stephen Bede Scharper
*
Stephen  is an Associate Professor of Environmental Ethics, Centre for
Environment, University of Toronto, and the Department of Anthropology
(UTM). A widely published essayist and popular lecturer, he is Faith and
Ethics columnist for the Toronto Star, and author of Redeeming the Time; A
Political Theology of the Environment.
------------------------------

*Wilf Bean
*
Wilf is part of the Program Resource Group at Tatamagouche Centre, and has
also served as the Centre’s Program Director. He is an associative staff
with Coady International Institute, St. FXU, and is  interested in
transformative adult education, and participatory international development.
*Nan Corrigan
*
Nan is the Coordinator of Faith, Spirituality, and Retreat Programming at
Tatamagouche Centre. She is a Diaconal Minister, former nurse, and farmer
with a deep commitment to the ministries of hospitality and companionship,
and a spirituality connected to the cycles of life and the land.

*Cost:*  $390 ($235 tuition + $155 meals/accommodation)

*To Register:  1-800-218-2220 or www.tatacentre.ca*