[Sust-mar] HIRING: Summer Diversity Outreach Coordinator

Charlene Boyce Young membermail at ecologyaction.ca
Mon Apr 27 12:44:14 EDT 2009

~ Please post and distribute widely ~

*Ecology Action Centre –
Summer Diversity Outreach Coordinator *

* *

*Job Posting *

ORGANIZATION

The Ecology Action Centre, established in 1971, is Nova Scotia's largest
and most active environmental organization. We work on sustainable
transportation, marine and coastal issues, wilderness issues, urban
issues, sustainable food production and alternative energy. We are
currently seeking a summer diversity outreach coordinator.

Building an organization that includes and reaches out to diverse – such
as cultural, ethnic, age and ability – communities in Nova Scotia is a
high priority for the Ecology Action Centre. We would like to strengthen
our ability to reach out to and support diverse communities through this
new position. Our objective is to be better equipped to build on our
current practices and also examine ways to take action on meeting the
needs of new and diverse audiences.

The individual hired for this position will report to the office
coordinator and will have the support of a committee of staff and
volunteers who regularly work on diversity issues and issues around
volunteer recruitment, retention and appreciation.

RESPONSIBILITIES

The duties involved in this position would include:

    * Reviewing and analyzing current membership and volunteer processes
      to determine what, if any, changes are required to improve
      accessibility for a broader and more diverse population.
    * Implementing a campaign to recruit, effectively manage and retain
      a collection of members and volunteers that more accurately
      reflects the diversity in our community.
    * Organizing a number of events including the Ecology Action
      Centre’s presence at the Multicultural Festival, one volunteer
      appreciation event and one volunteer orientation.
    * Setting up a pilot volunteer newsletter or other vehicle for two
      way communication between the Ecology Action Centre and our
      volunteers.

QUALIFICATIONS / SKILLS REQUIRED

    * Understanding of and enthusiasm for environmental issues
    * Experience working with diverse communities
    * Experience working in nonprofit, volunteer-driven organizations an
      asset
    * Computer literacy in Microsoft Word, Excel, desktop publishing,
      internet and email
    * Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
    * Creativity and a willingness to take initiative

OTHER NECESSARY CONDITIONS:

The successful candidate must be returning to school in September and
must have been a student in the previous school year.

*Start Date:* May 25^th , 2009

*Duration:* 14 weeks total from May 25^th until August 28^th

*Hours and Wage:* $12.00 per hour for 35 hours per week

*Location:* Halifax, NS

*Application Deadline:* May 8^th , 2009 at 4:00pm

*Interviews:* Will take place during the week of May 11^th .

*Application: * Please e-mail cover letter, resume and contact
information for two references to Jocelyn Knoester, EAC Office
Coordinator at info at ecologyaction.ca <mailto:info at ecologyaction.ca>

The Ecology Action Centre* *is committed to employment equity and
encourages applications from traditionally underrepresented groups such
as women, visible minorities, First Nations, and persons with disabilities.

* *

--
Charlene Boyce Young
Development & Outreach Coordinator