[Sust-mar] EAC Spec Edition Feb-09: GREEN ECONOMY and EVENTS

Peter Watson pwatson at chebucto.ns.ca
Sat Feb 7 14:06:03 EST 2009

/February 2009 Special Edition/

        Thinking about the GREEN ECONOMY?

The environmental world has been abuzz lately with ideas for ways to
infuse the economy and also meet our environmental goals. The current
situation provides a golden opportunity for new directions and creative
innovations. Check out more on the *green economy* on our website:
http://www.ecologyaction.ca/content/green-economy, and in the upcoming
issue of BTI.

If you have any* ideas you'd like to share* regarding ways to green the
economy, we'd love to hear them. We'll compile a list of suggestions and
post them on our website.
Is your *membership* due for renewal? Send in your thoughts AND renew
your membership, and you might *win* a great prize of a recycled record
Snack Bowl and homemade *cookies*! Click the Join Now
<http://www.ecologyaction.ca/content/become-member> link on our website
for more information.

        MARK YOUR CALENDARS

THURSDAY, FEB. 5, 7:30pm, EAC Board Room
Farmers’ Market Investment Cooperative Ltd.
In support of *Halifax Seaport Farmers Market
*Invites EAC friends to an information and Investment Opportunity Session

Come learn how to support this local, sustainable and ethical
investment. Buy local food and invest in local projects!

    * RRSP or Non-Registered RRSP Investments
    * Up to 60% NS Equity Tax Credits over 15 years (subject to certain
      conditions) - 30% in year one
    * Existing RRSP’s may be transferred in without any new money
    * Potential dividend earnings
    * Keep your RRSP in Nova Scotia

For further investment information, you may contact Richard Peisinger
rpeisinger at ns.sympatico.ca <mailto:rpeisinger at ns.sympatico.ca>

*****************

ANY DAY IN FEBRUARY:*Winter Walk Day
*Schools/youth groups register at www.taketheroofoffwinter.ca
<http://www.taketheroofoffwinter.ca> and receive a kit along with 10
free toques. A partnership of Active & Safe Routes to School of the
Ecology Action Centre and Take the Roof Off Winter, which promotes
healthy outdoor winter activity in Nova Scotia.

*****************

WEDNESDAY, FEB. 11, 6:30 PM: *2009 Scotian Windfields CEDIF* information
session at the EAC office, Fern Lane. Invest wisely in Nova Scotia's
future! Support renewable energy at the local level. Staff from Scotian
Windfields will be on hand to respond to questions.

and Nova Scotia Historic Places Initiative,
Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage
North Street Church (5657 North Street, Halifax)

Day-long conference focusing on our existing building stock in terms of
'green' re-construction, energy efficiency, and urban development. With
a broad reach into the development, heritage, government, and energy
efficiency sectors, the day is relevant to those who value a low carbon
future and effective future use of our natural and existing resources.

Lunch and refreshments are provided at no cost. Please bring a mug.
*Speakers**:* Shawna Henderson*,* Bill Hockey , Andrew Powter and Kim
Thompson

Register ASAP--space is limited. There is no cost for registration. Info
& registration, contact: Zak Miller, Ecology Action Centre, 902-
442-5051, gogreen at ecologyaction.ca

*****************

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 21, 6pm - Midnight
*Musicians For Farmers: a celebration of local food!* Local food and
music in support of Heliotrust, an Ecology Action Centre affiliate,
whose projects include: farmland conservation, sustainable farming
practices, biodiversity, and conserving and imparting rural wisdom.
www.heliotrust.ca <http://www.heliotrust.ca>

Performers include Caledonia, Erin Costelo, Zumbini Circus, Mary-Grace
Koile, Alamo Defenders, Grand Sass Parilla and Guest Speaker: Norbert
Kungl of Selwood Green Organic Farms

$15 includes cover and a delicious locally-sourced meal. Farmers get in
for free! All Ages Welcome. Tickets at the door.

North Street Church, 5657 North Street
www.ecologyaction.ca <http://www.ecologyaction.ca> and/or
www.musiciansforfarmers.ca <http://www.musiciansforfarmers.ca>

More info: Jeff Torbert, jeff_torbert at hotmail.com or 902.240.7605

*****************

MARCH 3: The EAC partners with Saint Mary's University for Saint Mary's
University Sustainability Week. *Speaker Dr. Gordon Young* will address
*water issues* in today's world, and a panel discussion will follow.
Stay tuned for more info to come.

        GET INVOLVED

*VOLUNTEER WITH THE CENTRE* For volunteer opportunities contact Emma
Boardmanat volunteering at ecologyaction.ca
<mailto:volunteering at ecologyaction.ca> orfill out a volunteer profile on
our website.

*EAC MONTHLY MEETINGS* -- all welcome! Our most important work is done
by people like you. You can get involved just a little -- or a lot. Call
us, dropby the office, or drop in on a meeting at the EAC, 2705 Fern
Lane, Halifax.

*COASTAL ISSUES*: last Thursday of each month, 5:30pm
Jen Graham: (902) 442-5046 / coastal at ecologyaction.ca

*ENERGY:* 3rd Tuesday of each month, 5:15pm
Cheryl Ratchford (902) 442-0199 / energy at ecologyaction.ca

*FOOD ACTION: *3rd Monday each month, 5:30pm
Marla MacLeod (902) 442-1077/foodaction at ecologyaction.ca
<mailto:442-1077/foodaction at ecologyaction.ca>

*MARINE ISSUES: *last Tuesday of each month, 5:30pm
Rob Johnson (902) 446-4840 / marine at ecologyaction.ca

*TRANSPORTATION:* 1st Monday of each month, 5:15pm
Laena Garrison (902) 429-0924 / trax at ecologyaction.ca

*BUILT ENVIRONMENT: *2nd Thursday of each month, 5:30pm
Judy Cookey, builtenvironment at ecologyaction.ca

*WILDERNESS:* 3rd Thursday of each month, 6:00pm,
Raymond Plourde 442-5008, wilderness at ecologyaction.ca or Jamie Thompson
429-1335 / forests at ecologyaction.ca

    * HOME MAINTENANCE – Last Wednesday of each month, 5:30pm
    * EAC WORK PARTIES – Second Saturday of each month, from 10 – 2.
      Call toconfirm: (902) 429-2202 info at ecologyaction.ca
    * MAGAZINE - "BETWEEN THE ISSUES" - call for details (902) 442-0198
      betweentheissues at ecologyaction.ca
      <mailto:betweentheissues at ecologyaction.ca>

--
Charlene Boyce Young