[Sust-mar] "Why We Fight" Thursday, Jan. 15 at 7:30 PM Dal SUB & Other peace-related events

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Tue Jan 6 15:13:50 EST 2009

6 Upcoming Peace Events - Please circulate widely

****************
(1)
FREE PUBLIC FILM SCREENING: "Why We Fight"
Thursday, January 15
7:30 - 9:30 PM
Rm. 224, Student Union Dalhousie University,
6136 University Ave. Halifax

Free. All Welcome. Don't miss this important film. Learn more about the
"Canada First Defence Strategy"

Acclaimed filmmaker Eugene Jarecki, creates a sense of urgency and moves
beyond the headlines to uncover the deeper answers behind the American war
machine in WHY WE FIGHT - Winner of the Documentary Grand Jury Prize at the
Sundance Film Festival in 2005. Inspired by Dwight Eisenhower's legendary
farewell speech, filmmaker Jarecki surveys the scorched landscape of a
half-century's military adventures, asking how, and revealing why he
believes that the nation of, by, and for the people has become the
savings-and-loan of a system whose survival depends on a state of constant
war. Jarecki explores the gap between perception and reality, and is
concerned not only with the viewpoint of Americans, but also with the
perspective of those on the receiving end of the US war machine.

We must question Canada's new military transformation "Fight with the
Canadian Forces"? Why does Canada spend 20X more on the military than on the
natural environment? Why are we fighting with the US-led NATO and killing in
Afghanistan? Why was the Canadian public not consulted on the Canada First
Defence Strategy that commits the federal government to spend $490 BILLION
on the military over the next 20 years? Watch the film and find out more.

*Anniversary of former President General Dwight Eisenhower's Address on
the Military Industrial Complex on January 17, 1961*

Organized by NSPIRG and the Halifax Peace Coalition hfxpeace at chebucto.ca or
www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca

(2)
The Attack on Gaza: A Jewish Israeli Peace Activist Speaks Out
JEFF HALPER
Tuesday, January 13, 7:30 pm
Scotiabank Auditorium
Dalhousie University
6135 University Ave., Halifax
.	Jewish Israeli author and speaker about  non-violent strategies to
solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
.	Co-founder Israeli Committee Against House Demolitions
(www.icahd.org)
.	On Free Gaza flotilla that first broke the Gaza siege in August 2008
.	Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize by American Friends Service
Committee
Sponsored by
Canadians, Arabs and Jews for a Just Peace info at forjustpeace.org and
Independent Jewish Voices www.independentjewishvoices.ca
Nova Scotia Public Interest Group www.nspirg.org
240-2782

(3)
The Axis of Diesel
Jerome Davis
Department of Political Science
Thursday, 22 Jan 2009
Lord Dalhousie Room
Henry Hicks Building
Dalhousie University
12:30pm - 2:00pm

More Centre for Foreign Policy Studies 2009 seminars here:
http://centreforforeignpolicystudies.dal.ca/seminarseries.php

(4)
You are cordially invited to a RECEPTION for Dr. Jeff Halper of the Israeli
Committee Against House Demolitions visiting Halifax as part of his
cross-Canada tour. Monday, January 12, 5-7 pm
The Art Gallery, Saint Mary's University
Loyola Building, 5865 Gorsebrook Avenue
Refreshments will be served
.	Jeff, an Israeli Jewish author, will speak about current attack on
Gaza and non-violent strategies to solve the Israeli-Palestinian conflict
.	Jeff is a co-founder of the Israeli Committee Against House
Demolitions (www.icahd.org)
o	Originally established to oppose and resist Israeli demolition of
Palestinian houses in Occupied Territories
o	Oppose land expropriation, settlement expansion, by-pass road
construction, policies of "closure" and "separation," the wholesale
uprooting of fruit and olive trees and more
.	Jeff was on the Free Gaza flotilla that broke the Gaza siege in
August 2008
.	Jeff was nominated, along with Ghassan Andoni, for the Nobel Peace
Prize by the American Friends Service Committee
.	Jeff will be giving a public talk Tuesday, January 13, 7:30 pm at
the Scotiabank Auditorium, Dalhousie University, 6135 University Ave.,
Halifax
.	A main purpose of this reception is to raise funds for ICAHD through
the Near East Cultural and Educational Foundation (NECEF); all donations
from individuals made to NECEF for ICAHD will be tax-deductible (please
bring your cheque book)
Canadians, Arabs and Jews for a Just Peace (www.forjustpeace.org)

For additional information please contact Lawrence Roche at 462-3010 or via
email at lawrence.roche at rcrca.ca

(5)
Gaza Vigil, Friday January 9th
This Friday, the Nova Scotia Voice of Women for Peace invites you to stand
in solidarity with the people of Gaza.  We'll be distributing fact sheets
about the situation in Gaza, and holding a symbolic minute of silence to
remember the victims. Please join us at any time between noon and 1pm in
front of the Spring Garden Public Library. All welcome! Please Note:  If
it's very cold people are welcome to take shifts inside the library!

(6)
Wednesday, January 14th, Potluck Social & Discussion on the "Troubling Rise
of Militarism in Canada - A Closer Look at Military Spending and Canada's
First Defence Strategy" from 6-8:30 on Wednesday, January 14th we will be
having a potluck at the Women's Community Space of the YWCA on Barrington
(1233 Barrington - walk to the back of the building from Barrington St.).
The potluck social will be followed by a presentation by Tamara Lorincz
about high military spending and the related cutbacks  to social programs.
After the presentation, we will have a  discussion and planning session.
Please come with your ideas!
NB - the YWCA is a nut-free zone, so please don't bring any food containing
nut products!

"A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military
defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual death." -
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., April 4, 1967. New York, N.Y.

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN)
Sessional Instructor, Dalhousie University 2009
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
ECJ: http://www.ecojustice.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" -
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.