[Sust-mar] EAC Event

Zak Miller gogreen at ecologyaction.ca
Tue Jan 27 09:27:48 EST 2009

*Green Investment in Built Heritage*
Stewardship of the Natural and Built Environments

Co-Sponsored by
Ecology Action Centre
and
Nova Scotia Historic Places Initiative,
Department of Tourism, Culture and Heritage

*WHEN: * Monday, February 16th   (9.30am - 4.00pm)

*WHERE:* North Street Church (5657 North Street, Halifax)

This day long conference will focus on our existing building stock in
terms of 'green' re-construction, energy efficiency, and urban
development.  With a broad reach into the development, heritage,
government, and energy efficiency sectors; the day is sure to be
relevant to those who value our built environment and value the
potential our current building stock hold with respect to a low carbon
future and effective future use of our natural and existing resources.

Our speaker panel will address hands-on renovation techniques and
natural building methods; the energy 'credit' of our existing and
historic building stock, the economics behind restoration vs. new
construction, deep energy retrofits, a CMHC case study of a 'net-zero'
home renovation, and everything you may bring to the table as a
conference participator.

Lunch and refreshments are provided at no cost.  Please bring a mug.

*Speakers*

*Shawna Henderson, Bfreehomes Design Ltd*.  Shawna Henderson has been
working in the field of energy efficiency and housing since 1992. Her
experience with the R-2000 and the EnerGuide for Houses (EcoENERGY)
programs, coupled with research carried out for Canada Mortgage and
Housing Corporation (CMHC) and Natural Resources Canada provide the
backbone of the consultation and design services for Bfreehomes Design
Ltd.. Her current work, in the field and in research studies, is
focussed on approaching net zero energy in existing homes as well as new
construction.

*Bill Hockey *received a Bachelor of Architecture in 1970 and a Master
of Environmental Design Studies (Conservation) in 1992. His Thesis
evaluated the costs of reuse of historic buildings and how they are
incurred using research and Canadian Case Study material. Working for
Parks Canada from 1971 to 2006 he held positions in Heritage Recording,
Conservation Architecture and Project Management; and has worked on
historic sites in all parts of Canada. He retired from the Federal
Government in 2006 and currently operates his own company Architectural
Conservation Services based in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

*Andrew Powter *has worked in the field of heritage conservation
throughout his career at the local, national and international levels.
His work has included many technical projects, development of national
policy and legislation and technical training. Andrew is a long time
member of the Association for Preservation Technology and the
International Council for Monuments and Sites. He is a founding member
and former co-chair of the APT Environmental Sustainability and Heritage
Conservation Technical Committee.

*Kim Thompson, Straw Bale Projects  *Focusing on health, environment,
aesthetics and affordability Kim Thompson has been pioneering the
construction of plastered straw bales and other natural building systems
since 1993. Her work in recent years has become increasingly directed at
improving existing building stock using local resources, and traditional
earth based finishing systems, She teaches at the School of
Architecture, Dalhousie University, and has a varied design/build
practice working with community groups, businesses and home-owners.

*CMHC* - Presentation on 'Now House' Project - Energy Retrofit of 60
Year-old Housing

*Registration
*    Register ASAP as space is limited.  There is no cost for registration.

 To register, please contact:  Zak Miller,
     Ecology Action Centre
     902- 442-5051
     gogreen at ecologyaction.ca <mailto:gogreen at ecologyaction.ca>

--