[Sust-mar] Education Coordinator, f/t, Sierra Club, Halifax NS

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Jul 29 13:14:43 EDT 2009

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Education Program Coordinator

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

The Sierra Club of Canada -- Atlantic Canada Chapter is a

non-profit environmental organization based out of Halifax

NS. The mission of the Sierra Club of Canada is to focuses

on five overriding threats: loss of animal and plant species;

deterioration of the planet's oceans and atmosphere; the

ever-growing presence of toxic chemicals in all living things;

destruction of our remaining wilderness; and spiraling

population growth and over consumption.

Since 2003, the Atlantic Canada Chapter has delivered

education programs in the Atlantic Provinces. The programs

are all hands-on, interactive and action-based. Programs are

provided in both French and English to schools through the

Atlantic region.

For 2009/2010, our education program will focus on

sustainability and eco-footprint. Through a joint high

school-elementary school mentorship program called

"EcoBuddies", older students assume leadership roles and

deliver sustainability education to younger children. We

are looking to expand this program and to develop strong

connections with administrations, municipalities,

community groups and local businesses.

We are currently looking to hire an Education Program

Coordinator. Due to the high volume of applicants, only

those chosen for interviews will be contacted.

Qualifications:

o University degree in either Biology, Education,

Recreation Management, Environmental Studies/Science

o A minimum of 3 year experience in environmental education

working directly with children and youth

o Must have strong organizational and management skills

o Must have fundraising experience

o Bilingual (recommended, not required)

o Must have strong communication skills

o Must have experience in program development and

evaluation

o Access to a vehicle is an asset

Responsibilities and duties:

* Coordinate, develop and deliver environmental education

programs for elementary and high schools

* Fundraise to assist in the program development and delivery

* Register, book and schedule all school visits

* Produce funder reports

* Meet regularly with youth groups and clubs

* Coordinate volunteers

* Liaise with municipal and community bodies

* Manage finances and budgeting

* Handle all promotional and marketing materials

* Produce monthly reports to Executive Committee

* Manage, hire and train all environmental education staff

* Coordinate education steering committees

* Contribute and regularly update website

* Conduct evaluations on programs

The Education Program Coordinator position is an exciting

job opportunity that requires someone who is dedicated and

passionate about environmental education. We are looking for

someone out-going and creative with experience running a

multitude of programs.

Job Information:

Deadline: August 7th, 2009

Job start date: August 9th, 2009 or as soon as possible

Wages based on experience

Location: Halifax NS

How to Apply:

Please send a cover letter and resume including contact

information for 3 references

Contact Name: Gretchen Fitzgerald

By Email: gretchenf at sierraclub.ca

By Mail/In Person:

1657 Barrington St.

Roy Building Suite 533

Halifax, NS B3J 2A1

By Fax: (902) 444 3116

For questions, please contact Gretchen Fitzgerald,

gretchenf at sierraclub.ca or 902 444 3113.

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at

GoodWorkCanada.ca.

PLEASE KEEP GOODWORK SUSTAINABLE:

(1) Help spread the word -- please tell others about GoodWork.

(2) When applying, tell them you saw this opportunity on GoodWork.

(3) Contribute if you can: http://Planetfriendly.net/goodworkdonate.html

POST A JOB OR OTHER LISTING:

GoodWork Green Jobs: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

PlanetVolunteer: http://PlanetVolunteer.net

Green Events Calendar: http://Planetfriendly.net/calendar/

Contact us: http://Planetfriendly.net/inquiry.html

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

UN-SUBSCRIBE: the unsubscribe address is found at

the very bottom of this message, and here:

GOODWORK relies on your payments and contributions.

Please make your cheque payable to:  People and Planet,

PO Box 21006, RPO Ottawa South, Ottawa ON, Canada  K1S 5N1.

Or donate online: http://Planetfriendly.net/donate.html

Pay online: http://Planetfriendly.net/goodworkpmt.html

(Not tax-deductible. If you want a receipt, please indicate so,

and include your e-mail address so we can send you one.)

TERMS & CONDITIONS: The information provided in this message

is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational

purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada")

is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness,

completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability

of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen

or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you

decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any

other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your

responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against

injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our

full Terms & Conditions: http://Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online.

Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca