[Sust-mar] Lots of great upcoming community events

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Mon Mar 9 23:44:32 EDT 2009

Lots of great upcoming environmental, green business, social justice,
education, peace and women’s events. Kindly circulate. Thank you.

(1)
STORY OF STUFF: TOWARD SUSTAINABLE CONSUMPTION AND PRODUCTION FILM & TALK
Tuesday, March 10, 2009
7:00-8:30 p.m.
Spring Garden Road Memorial Library
5381 Spring Garden Road, Halifax
Attend this free public film & interactive, stimulating discussion. Watch
the highly acclaimed Story of Stuff short film. A critical look at our
consumption and production systems and a review our new Nova Scotia
Environmental Goals and Sustainable Prosperity Act. Draw prizes. All
welcome. For more information, please call (902) 454-6846, email
nsen at cen-rce.org or visit our web site: www.nsen.ca

(2)
FREEZING IN THE DARK? ENERGY SECURITY, HEATING EMERGENCIES, AND ELECTRICITY
SUPPLY IN NOVA SCOTIA
A Panel Discussion
Tuesday March 10, 7pm at St.Mary's in Sobey 165
How secure is our energy supply? How prepared are we to deal with heating
emergencies? Who has a say in how decisions about our energy supply are
made? Why should Nova Scotians be concerned about these issues?
Long, cold winters, such as the one we are experiencing now, highlights the
fact that space heating is one of the most important energy services Nova
Scotians rely on.  Over 85 percent of Nova Scotians heat with fuel oil or
electricity—most of which is supplied or generated outside of Canada, which
makes space heating particularly energy insecure and vulnerable to supply
disruption or infrastructure failure, or both.  These problems, coupled with
price swings, can mean that many Nova Scotians spend a significant portion
of their income on space heating and potentially face “fuel poverty” or
“energy poverty.”  In more extreme situations, a heating emergency can occur
when the energy security of an individual or family is put in jeopardy.
Dalhousie Professor Larry Hughes will present his research findings and
provide suggestions for  ensuring that our energy supply is more secure and
that we are protected during heating emergencies.  Claire McNeil from
Dalhousie Legal Aid will discuss the case that was brought to the Utility
and Review Board that would ensure that all Nova Scotians, and in particular
those living in low-income, have access to heat and electrical power as
needed. A limited number of free copies of two new CCPA-NS reports to be
released on March 9, will be available at the panel event. The two reports,
Energy security in the residential sector:  Rapid responses to heating
emergencies, Part 1: The Fundamentals by Larry Hughes and Part 2: Nova
Scotia, by Larry Hughes and Dave Ron,  will also be available on the CCPA
website: www.policyalternatives.ca  as of March 9.

(3)
"SUCCESS AND FAILURE IN THE GLOBAL CAMPAIGN FOR EDUCATION FOR ALL: WHAT
NOW?"
Trust in Education Part 2
Speaker:  Sir John Daniel, President & CEO Commonwealth of Learning
Wednesday, March 11, 7pm
Scotiabank Theatre
Saint Mary's University
Free Admission   -  Reception to Follow
More info: Chris Stover . General Manager
Canadian Centre for Ethics in Public Affairs (CCEPA)
630 Francklyn Street
Halifax, NS, B3H 3B4
Telephone:  (902) 428-4731 Fax:  (902) 428-4776
www.ccepa.ca

(4)
STORY OF STUFF: TOWARD SUSTAINABLE CONSUMPTION AND PRODUCTION FILM & TALK
Friday, March 13, 2009
7:00-9:00 p.m.
Lunenburg Academy
Third floor Assembly Hall, 97-101 Kaulbach Street, Lunenburg
Attend this free public film & interactive, stimulating discussion. Watch
the highly acclaimed Story of Stuff short film. A critical look at our
consumption and production systems and a review our new Nova Scotia
Environmental Goals and Sustainable Prosperity Act. Draw prizes. All
welcome. For more information, please call (902) 454-6846, email
nsen at cen-rce.org or visit our web site: www.nsen.ca

(5)
VIVA LA TORTILLA!
Grassroots development and mobilization from the barrios of Honduras to the
streets of Halifax
Saturday, March 14, 2009, 2:00pm - 5:00pm
Roberts Street Social Centre, 5684 Roberts Street, Halifax
hungry for locally-grown Latin food?  Thirsty for revolution?
Here’s your chance to chew the fat about grassroots social
mobilization,urban activism and food sovereignty!
Featuring:
- Tasty tortilla making with local food sovereignty experts
- Delicious discussions with community leaders and activists
- Mouth-watering workshops led by fresh off the boat interns on their
experience with grassroots social activism in Honduras
- Screening of the finger-licking film, Super Amigos
Contact Tortilla Guevara for more information: thmr0271 at humbermail.ca or
(902) 429-6753

(6)
IF WOMEN COUNTED: Film Screening and Discussion
Sunday, March 15 2:30-5:00 PM Helen Creighton Room, Alderney Public Library
60 Alderney Drive, Dartmouth, NS.
Free public event.
All welcome. Women don’t miss this!

In celebration of International Women’s Day. Come to watch the powerful
documentary “Who’s Counting: Marilyn Waring on Sex, Lies and Global
Economics” (1995). About this film, David Suzuki said, “I give the film and
Ms. Waring every superlative – riveting, revealing, inspiring, etc
 It
penetrates to the heart of the global, ecological, and social crisis that
afflicts the world
 required viewing for all who know we are on a
destructive path and want to get off.” After the film, engage in a moderated
interactive discussion about women’s role in society and the importance of
women in politics and business. If women counted, how would our world be
different and better? Light refreshments. Draw Prizes. Organized by Equal
Voice Nova Scotia. For more information, visit:
http://equalvoicenovascotia.googlepages.com/home  Email
equalvoicenovascotia at gmail.com

(7)
FEMINISM AND WOMEN’S HEALTH IN CANADA TALK BY MICHELE LANDSBERG
Sunday, March 15 7:30 – 9:00 pm Westin Nova Scotian Hotel Commonwealth
Ballroom A Everyone welcome - free admission
Articulate, tenacious, progressive and persuasive, award-winning former
Toronto Star columnist Michele Landsberg is one of Canada's best known
feminists and social justice activists. A fearless advocate for women and
children over many decades, she uses words, in print and in person, to fight
injustice, to attack oppressive power structures and policies, and to
champion the cause of human rights, race and gender equality, peace and
pluralism.
For more information, please contact:
Jean Steinberg
Research Assistant
Atlantic Centre of Excellence for Women's Health
1465 Brenton Street, Suite 502
Halifax, NS  B3J 3T4
902.494.7858 (tel)   902.494.7852 (fax)
www.acewh.dal.ca

(8)
KEYNOTE ADDRESS BY DAVID ORR: "MILLENNIAL HOPE" FOR CLIMATE & THE
ENVIRONMENT
12:30 - 2:00, March 20, 2009
McInnes Room
Dalhousie Student Union Building
Dalhousie University
6136 University Avenue

David W. Orr is the Paul Sears Distinguished Professor of Environmental
Studies and Politics. He is also a James Marsh Professor at large at the
University of Vermont. Born in Des Moines, Iowa and raised in New
Wilmington, Pennsylvania, he holds a B.A. from Westminster College (1965), a
M.A. from Michigan State University (1966), and a Ph.D. in International
Relations from the University of Pennsylvania (1973). He and his wife have
two sons and three grandchildren. He is the author of five books: Design on
the Edge: The Making of a High Performance Building (MIT Press, 2006); The
Last Refuge: Patriotism, Politics, and the Environment (Island Press, 2004);
The Nature of Design (Oxford, 2002); Earth in Mind (Island, 1994/2004);
Ecological Literacy (SUNY, 1992) and co-editor of The Global Predicament
(North Carolina, 1979) and The Campus and Environmental Responsibility
(Jossey-Bass, 1992). He has published 150 articles in scientific journals,
social science publications, and popular magazines. He is best known for his
pioneering work on environmental literacy in higher education and his recent
work in ecological design. He raised funds for and spearheaded the effort to
design and build a $7.2 million Environmental Studies Center at Oberlin
College, a building described by the New York Times as “the most remarkable”
of a new generation of college buildings and by the U.S. Department of
Energy as one of thirty “milestone buildings” of the 20th century.
Organized by Elizabeth May Chair in Sustainability and Environmental Health,
Dalhousie University
More information about the event:
http://emaychair.dal.ca/Upcoming_events/4th_annual_Environme.php

(9)
BOTTLE WATER BAN RALLY Friday March 20 – Halifax City Hall – 11am!
At 11am on March 20th, the Nova Scotia Coalition will deliver a large
bottled water ‘tower’ (constructed from bottled water bottles that have been
collected from garbage cans) to Councillor Sloan and other HRM city
councillors. We’ll also be hosting a "Toast to Public Water" event on the
steps of City Hall (Grand Parade Square) with elected officials using
stainless steel bottles. In support of World Water Day. For more information
please contact:
Jocelyne Rankin, EAC 442-5046 or Angela Giles, Council of Canadians 422-7811
(o)
* WORLD WATER DAY is March 22 – Please conserve and respect our most
precious resource. Make a pledge to ban bottle water and support our
municipal water online at:
http://www.canadians.org/water/issues/World_Water_Day/petition/index.php

(10)
PREMIERE SCREENINGS OF "SENSE OF WONDER: THE LIFE OF RACHEL CARSON"

(A) Wolfville - Premiere screening of the new film “SENSE OF WONDER: The
Life of Rachel Carson” Mar. 25
On Weds. March 25 at 7pm at the Al Whittle Theatre in Wolfville. In
Celebration of International Women’s Day. Rachel Carson was the author of
Silent Spring and her work helped to launch the modern environmental
movement. Panelists & Special performance. Tickets $5 available at the door
and in advance. Save the date! More about this incredible film & woman :
http://www.asenseofwonderfilm.com/

(B) Halifax - Premiere screening of the new film “SENSE OF WONDER: The Life
of Rachel Carson” Mar. 26
On Th. March 26 at 7pm at the Potter Auditorium, Dalhousie University in
Halifax. In Celebration of International Women’s Day. Rachel Carson was the
author of Silent Spring and her work helped to launch the modern
environmental movement. Panelists & Special performance. Tickets $5
available at the door and in advance. Save the date! More about this
incredible film & woman : http://www.asenseofwonderfilm.com/

(C) Chester - Premiere screening of the new film “SENSE OF WONDER: The Life
of Rachel Carson” Mar. 27
On Friday, March 27 at 7pm at the Chester Playhouse in Chester. In
Celebration of International Women’s Day. Rachel Carson was the author of
Silent Spring and her work helped to launch the modern environmental
movement. Panelists & Special performance. Tickets $5 available at the door
and in advance. Save the date! More about this incredible film & woman :
http://www.asenseofwonderfilm.com/

(11)
FILM SCREENING "VOICES IN WARTIME"
On March 24 at 7pm.
The screening will take place on March 24th, 7p.m., at the Keshen Goodman
Library, 330 Lacewood Drive, Halifax. Information about the Voices in
Wartime Education Project is found at
www.voicesinwartime.org Organized by Halifax Friends Meeting (Quakers), more
info: rogerdavies at eastlink.ca

(12)
ECOPRISE:GREEN BUSINESS FOR A SUSTAINABLE FUTURE
March 27 * 28
The Ecoprise 2009 sustainable business conference will be held at Dalhousie
University on March 27-28, 2009. The Faculty of Management¹s Norman Newman
Centre for Entrepreneurship and Eco-Efficiency Centre will host the event on
campus at the newly constructed Rowe Management Building. This conference
will bring together delegates, speakers and moderators from across the
country to discuss, debate and dream.  In conjunction with the Ecoprise 2009
sustainable business conference, a parallel post-secondary green business
plan competition (EcoVenture 2009) will be held.
More information: http://entrepreneurship.dal.ca/Ecoprise%202009/
Scott Sheffield
Conference  Director, Ecoprise 2008
Email: scott.sheffield at dal.ca

(13)
GEOGRAPHY OF HOPE AUTHOR CHRIS TURNER SPEAKS IN HALIFAX ON MAR. 31
CHRIS TURNER is one of the most positive, profound and provocative writers
on environment in Canada today! The author of The Geography of Hope, his
work can be found currently in The Walrus and on worldchanging.com. He's
young, hip, smart, and interesting, and he's ALL OURS the night of March
31!!
Time: 7:00 pm