[Sust-mar] Upcoming Community Events - Green Mapping, Renewable Energy, Peace, & Children

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Fri May 15 07:34:16 EDT 2009

UPCOMING COMMUNITY EVENTS

Please circulate - Thank you!

1.
GREEN MAPPING OF MAINLAND NORTH HALIFAX WALKING AND HIKING TRAILS
May 19, 2009 from Time:  7-9 pm at the Halifax Christian Church, 51 Farnham
Gate Rd, Halifax
 Join us as we build a map from the ground up. Cathy Conrad, St Marys
University will help us create a map documenting the walking and hiking
paths and green spaces that we all use every day, and value as a part of our
neighbourhoods. The resulting map will be posted in public spaces to help us
expand our horizons and allow visitors to share our communities and the
assets.
This mapping technique is globally used. Go to www.greenmap.org for more
information or to see other maps created in this format. For more info,
contact: Wendy McDonald, Halifax North West Trails Association, Ph. 443-5051
wendyathome at eastlink.ca / Please pre-register.

2.
FILM SCREENING: MYTHS FOR PROFIT: Canada’s Role in Industries of War & Peace
Tuesday, May 19 from 7:00-8:45 PM Dalhousie Student Union Building, 6136
University Avenue, Halifax
‘MYTHS FOR PROFIT' is a dramatic, exposé documentary which explores
'Canada’s role in Industries of War and Peace’. Through diverse interviews
and case studies this documentary unveils the specific interests and profits
that are made by certain corporation, individuals and agency within Canada.
The Canadian government and the military would like us to believe that we
are altruistic peacekeepers helping people around the world. But is this
accurate? 'MYTHS FOR PROFIT' examines how these misconceptions are
maintained and who stands to gain by perpetuating them. By understanding the
systems of power in Canada we can move forward in challenging how they
operate and collectively create change. Free but donations appreciated. All
Welcome. Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition. For more information,
please email: hfxpeace at chebucto.ca or web: http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org

3.
DRIVING THE ECONOMY WITH RENEWABLE ENERGY AND A POLICY THAT WORKS
Dr. Christine Woerlen, former head of the German Renewable Energy Agency
Wednesday, May 20 from  7:00-9:00 PM.
Room 105, Weldon Law Building, 6061 University Ave, Dalhousie University,
Halifax
Free public talk by Dr. Christine Woerlen, former head of the German
Renewable Energy Agency; now an independent consultant with governments
around the world. You will not want to miss this timely, important
discussion that relates to our environment, jobs and economy. Germany leads
the world in development of Renewable Energy.  50,000 green jobs have been
created so far across Germany with new projects constantly being launched.
Can NS develop jobs throughout the province with an eco-economy that grows
with the renewable energy revolution? Sponsored by: Climate Action Network
Canada. Local hosts include: The Ecology Action Centre, East Coast
Environmental Law Association, The United Church Maritime Conference
Environmental Working Group,  the Nova Scotia Environmental Network, and
others. For more info contact Linda: lindakseven at gmail.com

4.
CASE FOR CAUTION REVISITED:  HEALTH AND ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACTS OF THE
APPLICATION OF SEWAGE SLUDGE TO AGRICULTURAL LAND Dr. Murray McBride
Director of the Cornell Waste Management Institute
Thursday, May 21, from 7:00-9:00 p.m. Room 265, Sobey Building, Saint Mary's
University, 903 Robie St. Halifax, Free public lecture. All welcome. Come to
learn about the potential impacts of the application of HRM sewage sludge on
agricultural land in Nova Scotia. The speaker, Dr. Murray McBride, obtained
his undergraduate degree from the Ontario Agricultural College at the
University of Guelph, where he majored in Soil Science. After obtaining M.S.
and Ph.D. degrees in soil chemistry at Michigan State University in 1974,
Dr. McBride joined the faculty at Cornell University a year later, where he
is professor of Soil Chemistry in the Department of Crop and Soil Sciences.
At Cornell, he teaches Soil Chemistry and Environmental Chemistry. His
research is focused on the behavior and fate of pollutant chemicals, trace
elements and toxic metals in soils that could be hazardous to the
environment and the human and animal food chain. He has published close to
200 peer-reviewed research papers in scientific journals as well as a
textbook of soil chemistry. Co-sponsored by Saint Mary’s University.
Organized by the Nova Scotia Environmental Network (902) 454-6846 /
nsen at cen-rce.org / www.nsen.ca

5.
BOOK LAUNCH: THE BLACK BOOK OF CANADIAN FOREIGN POLICY BY YVES ENGLER
PRESENTATION AND TALK WITH THE AUTHOR Friday May 22 * 6:30 PM * Just Us!
Cafe (5896 Spring Garden Road)
This book could change how you see Canada. Most believe Canada’s primary
role has been as peacekeeper or honest broker in difficult-to-solve
disputes. But, contrary to the mythology of Canada as a force for good in
the world, The Black Book of Canadian Foreign Policy, sheds light on many
dark corners of Canadian foreign policy: From troops that joined the British
in Sudan in 1885 to gunboat diplomacy in the Caribbean and aspirations of
Central American empire, to participation in the UN mission that killed
Patrice Lumumba in the Congo, to support for apartheid South Africa, Zionism
and the US war in Vietnam, to helping overthrow Salvador Allende and
supporting the Pinochet dictatorship in Chile, to Haiti, Iraq and
Afghanistan today. This event is sponsored by NSPIRG-Dal. For more
information: 902-494-6662.

6.
ECO-EFFICIENCY CENTRE  10TH ANNUAL EXCELLENCE IN BUSINESS BREAKFAST JUNE 3
June the 3rd, 2009 from 8am – 10am at the Westin Nova Scotian, Halifax.
The Eco-Efficiency Centre’s 10th annual Excellence in Business Breakfast to
be held on $25 per person. For registration contact: t: 902-461-6704 / f:
902-461-6703 / e: eecentre at dal.ca Web:
http://eco-efficiency.management.dal.ca/index.htm

7.
WAR IS A RACKET & THE BLACK BOOK OF CANADIAN FOREIGN POLICY: CAFÉ DISCUSSION
Sunday, June 7 from 2:00-4:00 PM. Just Us Café! 5896 Spring Garden, 2nd
Floor, Halifax.
Please join the Halifax Peace Coalition in our second annual book club café.
We will be discussing two books: the anti-war classic War is a Racket by US
General Smedley Butler, one of the most decorated American Generals, written
in 1935; and we will also be discussing Yves Engler’s new book, The Black
Book of Canadian Foreign Policy. The books can be purchased at Outside the
Lines Bookstore, 6265 Quinpool Rd, Halifax (902) 422-3544. You can also buy
the book through Amazon www.amazon.ca. There will also be a special
screening of Conscience Canada's short-film: Work for Peace, Stop Paying for
War. Free. All welcome. Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition. For more
information, please contact HPC: hfxpeace at chebucto.ca

8.
MCNABS AND LAWLOR ISLANDS BEACH CLEANUP SUNDAY, JUNE 7 - 10 AM - 4:30 PM
(Rain dates: June 13 or June 14) Join the Friends of McNabs Island Society
for the annual cleanup of McNabs and Lawlor Islands Provincial Park.
Celebrate Oceans Day and Environment Week by cleaning up the beautiful
beaches of these Halifax Harbour islands.Meet at Murphy's on the Water,
Cable Wharf on the Halifax Waterfront before 10 a.m. Space on the boat is
limited to 150 people.  Bring work gloves, drinking water, a lunch and
ENTHUSIASM. We will supply the garbage bags and FREE transportation to the
island for volunteers willing to clean up the beaches. Groups of more than
ten must pre-register with the Friends of McNabs Island by calling Cathy at
434-2254 (evenings) or Carolyn (477-0187) or by e-mailing
mcnabs at chebucto.ns.ca. Visit www.mcnabsisland.ca for more details.

9.
RECREATION NOVA SCOTIA'S 2ND ANNUAL LUNCHEON LUNCHEON KEYNOTE: "WORKING
TOGETHER TO LEAVE NO CHILD INSIDE" Wednesday, June 17th from 11:30 a.m. to
1:30 p.m at Pier 21, Halifax, Tickets: $50 per person/$500 table of 10
Luncheon Speaker: Martin LeBlanc, Co-founder of The Children and Nature
Network, and National Youth Education Director, Sierra Club. A growing
number of experts are concerned that we are raising the first generation of
indoor children (more screen time, less green time). Martin's keynote will
focus on No Child Left Inside a rapidly spreading back to the outdoors'
international movement initiated by The Children and Nature Network. The No
Child Left Inside movement bring individuals, communities, organizations and
governments together to find ways to reconnect our children with nature and
get our 'digital-age kids'
outside for healthy, unstructured play. To reserve tickets, contact RNS
Office at 425-1128 or email bmahon at recreationns.ns.ca

10.
THE ART OF PEACE: A CAMP FOR KIDS July 13 - 17, 2009, 9 am to 4 pm Saint
Mary's University, Robie St., Halifax
Come and Explore with us this summer! This summer, Peaceful Schools
International (PSI) is hosting the Art of Peace Summer Camp for 8 - 13
year-olds . This camp will offer children an opportunity to creatively
explore the meaning of peace – within ourselves, in our communities and in
the world. More info: http://peacefulschoolsinternational.org

11.
TAKE ACTION:
* Take the Nova Scotia Litter Pledge “Best Thing You’ll Never do”
http://www.bestthingyoullneverdo.ca/

*Tell the federal government “Do Not Deploy” Help us stop the deployment of
CF-18 fighter bombers, because they would be a major increase in our combat
role in Afghanistan, and should be opposed by Canadians. The NATO airstrikes
have killed thousands of innocent Afghans. Please send your letter to Prime
Minister Harper right away. Find out more at: www.ceasefire.ca