[Sust-mar] Upcoming events: films, environment, children, media training & more...

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Mon Oct 5 22:24:59 EDT 2009

Peace, social justice, climate change, children, women and media training events - please circulate!

(1) TONIGHT -
FILM: ARSENAL OF HYPOCRISY: THE U.S. SPACE PROGRAM AND ITS MILITARY INDUSTRIAL COMPLEX
Film Screening and Discussion for *International Keep Space for Peace Week October 3-10*
Tuesday, October 6 from 7:00 - 9:00 PM Just Us! Café, 5896 Spring Garden Rd., Halifax Free. All Welcome.

A free public showing of an important film for International Keep Space for Peace Week. The film features Global Network Against Weapons & Nuclear Power in Space Coordinator Bruce Gagnon, Noam Chomsky and Apollo 14 astronaut Edgar Mitchell talking about the very real dangers of moving the arms race into space. The one-hour production features archival footage, Pentagon documents, and clearly outlines the U.S. plan to "control and dominate" space and the Earth below. Noam Chomsky talks about how the U.S. intends to use space technology to control the Earth and reminds the viewer that the U.S. refuses to negotiate a global ban on weapons in space. He also speaks about the role of the media in suppressing this important current issue. Find out how the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan are fought by space. The screening is co-organized with the Nova Scotia Voice of Women. For more information, please contact the Halifax Peace Coalition at hfxpeace at chebucto.ca or visit us online at www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca

(2)
CANADA OUT OF AFGHANISTAN PEACE DEMO
October 7th, noon, Spring Garden Public Library, Leafletting and petition around the war in Afghanistan.
For more information, please contact the Halifax Peace Coalition at hfxpeace at chebucto.ca or visit us online at www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca

(3)
"THE FORGOTTEN PALESTINIANS" OCT. 7
You invited to a meeting of Canadians, Arabs and Jews for a Just Peace (CAJJP)
When: Wednesday, October 7; 7:00 pm
Where: Saint Mary's University, Loyola Building 277
Agenda: Judy, Larry and Omri Haiven will give a talk based on their recent study tour to Israel/Palestine: "The Forgotten Palestinians: Third Class Citizens of Israel."  We will also discuss current events and future plans. More info Judy Haiven: jhaiven at gmail.com

(4)
BRIDGESTHATUNITE Exhibit at Pier 21
>From October 4 to November 4, BRIDGESTHATUNITE will be presented at Pier 21, Canada’s Immigration Museum in the Ralph and Rose Chiodo Harbourside Gallery.  As part of the month-long exhibition, Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC) presents a series of free special events including lectures, panel discussions, film screenings and performances.  Please visit www.bridgesthatunite.ca for event updates.

(5)
EXTENDING ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE OVER THE WARMING PLANET: CLIMATE REFUGEES, CULTURAL SUSTAINABILITY, AND RECONCILIATION Robert Melchior Figueroa, Department of Philosophy and Religion Studies, University of North Texas October 8, 2009 Lecture begins at 7:30 pm, reception to follow Ondaatje Hall, McCain Building, Dalhousie University, University Ave., Halifax
Contact: Claire Campbell, Department of History/College of Sustainability,
494-3668

(6)
"The Tree of Knowledge" with Philosopher Ian Hacking
Ian Hacking, Canadian philosopher, specializing in the philosophy of science.
Wednesday, October 14
Ian Hacking (College de France and University of Toronto) "The Tree of Knowledge"
Ondaatje Hall, Dalhousie, 8:00pm
Ian Hacking is the 2009 winner of the Holberg International Prize -- previous winners include Julia Kristeva, Jurgan Habermas, Frederick Jameson and Ronald Dworkin -- author of "Historical Ontology," "Rewriting the Soul," "The Taming of Chance," "The Social Construction of What?", etc., and is one of the world's leading philosophers.)

(7)
Women’s Rights and Climate Change Lunch & Learn
With Rebecca McQuaid of the Climate Change Centre, a program of Clean Nova Scotia.
Friday, October 16, 11:45- 1:25
Women’s Community Space, YWCA, 1233 Barrington St., Halifax
It seems you can’t get through a week in the media without some new scientific report telling us of impending climate change catastrophe. But what if we could give the climate change issue a more human face—would we feel compelled to undertake REAL action? Climate change is affecting our human communities, and women globally are bearing the brunt of these impacts. This lunch & learn will address the connection between women’s rights and climate change, and aim to move into a discussion of personal barriers to action and change.
If you are interested in  Gender issues, the  Environment, Human health, Peace, and REAL solutions this workshop is for you!
All welcome!  Lunch is provided (suggested $5 donation).
For more information:  call Leah Grimmer, 423-8105; or write to wcs at ywcahalifax.org

(8)
Nova Scotia Nature Trust’s Annual Dinner with Key Note Maude Barlow Oct. 15
Get your tickets early for the Nova Scotia Nature Trust’s Annual Dinner with Key Note Maude Barlow, Canada’s water hero and author of the books Blue Gold and Blue Covenant and UN Special Advisor on Water, on Thursday, Oct. 15. More details here: http://nsnt.ca/newsevents/dinner/index.php

(9)
The Business Case for Sustainability: Ray Anderson
Tues. Oct. 20th
7:30 PM
Saint Mary's University Theatre Auditorium
McNally Main, 1st Floor
Online registration: www.smu.ca/sustainability
Fifteen years ago, Chairman and Founder, Ray Anderson transformed Interface, his carpet manufacturing company, around one seemingly impossible goal: 100% sustainability. Now, Anderson challenges all industry to share that goal: to take nothing from the earth that can't be replaced by the earth. From the shop floor to the board room, everyone is part of a team at Interface and everyone makes a difference. Mr. Anderson will be signing copies of his new book: "The Confessions of a Radical Industrialist".

(10)
THE WASTE REDUCTION WEEK MINISTER'S BUSINESS BREAKFAST *with Toby Heaps!
Monday October 19th, 2009
Featuring the Honourable Minister of Environment, Sterling Belliveau
The Delta Halifax Hotel, Halifax, NS
Guest Speaker: Toby A.A. Heaps, the Editor-in-chief of Corporate Knights Magazine (**Toby is an excellent speaker)
Topic:
The Great Green Society Within Our Grasp. There are only two letters of difference between a green society and great society but do they have more in common than just semantics? Why the ability to seize green economic opportunities could be the fundamental driver for which societies rise and fall in the 21st century. More exciting details to follow from Clean Nova Scotia...
www.clean.ns.ca

(11)
Oct. 24th Global Day of Action on Climate Change – Halifax Event
2-4pm Halifax Commons (near Bell Rd. & Trollope St.)
We are living in the midst of a climate crisis that is the most serious issue facing humanity and the world today. Climate change is happening faster than anticipated and is scientifically proven again and again to be caused by greenhouse gas emissions from human activity. It is especially urgent for all of us to act and to speak up now so that Canada's leaders take scientifically required action when they meet with other world leaders to sign the post-Kyoto climate change treaty in Copenhagen in December.
We are encouraging your organization, and any other group or faith community to which you belong, to organize an action or event on or before Sat. October 24th, the Global Day of Climate Action, to show your concern for solving the climate crisis (for example: an educational speaker, bike ride, work on a garden, a community meal of local food, signing the Kyotoplus petition*, visiting or writing your MP, ringing bells, etc).
Activities can be organized in any and all communities.
In Halifax, we’re inviting you to join friends and neighbours in HRM for a family-friendly get-together Saturday, October 24th on the Halifax Common (by the Pavilion). Festivities will begin at 2pm and at 3:50pm we will join together for a collective action to show our support for strong government leadership and action on climate change. This event is part of the global 350.org movement. Plan your own event and/or join ours! (See www.350.org for details. Join our Facebook group for updates: search “International Day of Climate Action – Halifax, NS”.)

(12)
FOSSIL FOOLS FILM FEST : ENJOY, LEARN, ACT
(presented by EAC’s Energy Issues Committee)
All films will take place at THE HUB, 1673 BARRINGTON ST., 2nd floor (over Certainly Discussions to follow films.  $2.00 donation suggested.

	Tuesday, October 20 at 7 pm
o	 A Crude Awakening:  The Oil Crash—an award-winning documentary about peak oil.  80 minutes.
o	Captain Carbon—a short lesson delivered by Halifax teens, with Captain Carbon showing us how to reduce our carbon footprint.  10 minutes.
	Wednesday, October 28 at 7 pm
o	Kilowatt Ours—an award-winning film that provides a solutions-oriented look at energy, one of our most pressing environmental challenges.  56 minutes.
o	 Decentralized Energy: What are we Waiting For?—a short film put out by Greenpeace that sets out a clear argument for decentralized energy. 18 minutes.
	Wednesday, November 4 at 7 pm
o	Home—a visually stunning and emotionally stirring documentary tracing the impact of human activity on the environment and calling for action to avoid irreversible harm.   93 minutes.

(13)
Cross-Canada Tour for Public Child Care
As part of a cross-Canada tour, an important meeting on child care will take place in Halifax on Thusday, October 29th, at SMU, Room SB260, Sobey's Building. 7pm.  Speaker are: Martha Friendly (Childcare Reesource and Research Unit in Toronto) and Susan Prentice (University of Manitoba sociology professor), co-authors of the just-published About Canada: Childcare, will join local CUPE and community child care activists to share their views on building a better future for Canada's children.
Join the movement to build publicly funded child care in Canada!

(14)
WOMEN IN THE HOUSE: DOES GENDER EQUITY REQUIRE ELECTORAL REFORM?
While women have made dramatic advances in elected public office in Canada, the fact remains that women hold only 23 per cent of the seats in the Nova Scotia legislature and the House of Commons. What will it take to change this picture? Would electoral reform get more women elected? This question will be the focus of discussion in a multi-partisan panel on Wednesday, October 14, from 3 to 5 pm in the Multi-Purpose Room in Rosaria Centre, Mount St. Vincent University. A reception will follow. Speaking at the event:
Alexa McDonough, Interim President, MSVU and former NDP Leader Karen Casey, Interim Leader, PC Party Nova Scotia Megan Leslie, NDP MP, Halifax Diana Whalen, Liberal MLA, Halifax-Clayton Park Elizabeth May, Leader, Green Party of Canada Chaired by Dr. Meredith Ralston. This event is sponsored by the Department of Political and Canadian Studies at Mount Saint Vincent University, Fair Vote Nova Scotia, Equal Voice Nova Scotia, and the Nova Scotia Advisory Council on the Status of Women.
Everyone is welcome.

(15)
STOPPING GLOBAL WARMING AND RELIEVING WORLD HUNGER: MUST WE CHOOSE BETWEEN THEM?
November 26, 2009
Lecture begins at 7:30 pm, reception to follow Potter Auditorium, Rowe Building, Dalhousie University, University Ave., Halifax Kathy McAfee, Department of International Relations, San Francisco State University
Contact: Claire Campbell, Department of History/College of Sustainability,
494-3668

(16)
Atlantic Regional Solidarity Network Gathering
 “Back to Our Roots”
Fri., December 4th, 7pm - December 6th, 1pm 2009
Tatamagouche Centre, Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia
Information about the event and the registration form will soon be posted at www.arsncanada.ca. For more info. please call Blake at 902-830-9412 or Sarah at 902-476-1669 or by email at enviro_blake at hotmail.com.
Join us for the 2009 ARSN Annual General Meeting as we explore contemporary issues while at the same time getting in touch with our roots as a network. These are challenging times in Latin America and the Caribbean as well as right here at home. We will explore topics ranging from the Canada–Columbia Free Trade agreement, solidarity and Honduras, and supporting victories in Latin American countries like El Salvador.
This year’s event will focus on the evolution of ARSN over time, the issues that are important to us, and how to persevere in challenging times—as individuals and as a network.  It will be an opportunity to celebrate advancements and victories in the struggle for social justice through dance, music, and local actions. Come one, come all! Join us for this year’s engaging, informative, inspirational and thought-provoking
Atlantic Regional Solidarity Network Gathering!

(16)
MEDIA TRAINING 101 WORKSHOPS
Full day workshops on the basics of media relations for community organizers by Optimum Cossette Communications and the Nova Scotia Environmental Network. All workshops run from 9:00 AM-4:30 PM (Check-in & Coffee 8:30 AM).

Workshop Dates and Locations:
Monday, Nov. 23
Annapolis Royal Firehall, 5 Saint Anthony Street, Annapolis Royal

Tuesday, Nov. 24
Continuing Technical Education (Room 121A), 5269 Morris Street, Halifax

Wednesday, Nov. 25
Nova Scotia Agricultural College, 40 Horseshoe Cr., Truro, NS
(Jenkins Hall: Riverview Room)

Friday, Nov. 27
Southend Community Centre (Woodill Room), 28 Hillview Ave., Sydney

Workshop Description: Working with media involves a variety of activities from creating a media kit, to developing and maintaining a communication plan, to building on-going relationships with mainstream and alternative media, to immediate tasks such as pitching stories to the media and interviewing. This one-day training session is ideal for individuals/organizations intending to do any outreach to media. The goal of this workshop is to acquaint participants with the functions of the news media and equip them with basic skills, which they can immediately apply to advancing education, publicity, and advocacy goals of their organizations.You’ll learn: the inner workings of the media – Who are the media, What do they do and why it matters; Leveraging media opportunities – How to place a story in the paper; How to prepare a media kit; Tools and techniques for communicating with media – The difference between an advisory, a press release, a PSA; and How to get your message across – Developing key messages that count. Workshop fees include nutrition breaks, lunch and a media toolkit binder of reference material and templates. Funding has been generously provided by Mountain Equipment Coop.

Workshop presenters from Optimum Cossette Communications, experts in advertising, media & public relations. For the complete agenda and registration form, please go online to www.nsen.ca Register now for the early bird rate. Space is limited. Registration fee includes participant media toolkit binder, nutrition breaks and lunch. Early Bird: $40 NSEN members, $50 non-members. After Nov. 16th fee is $50/$60. Cancellation Policy: Cancellations for registrations received in writing by Nov. 25 will get a refund less a $15 administrative fee.

For more information and to register, please contact:
Nova Scotia Environmental Network Address: 55 Willowbend Court, Halifax, NS, B3M 3L3
Phone: 902.454.6846 / FAX: 902.454.6841 Email: nsen at cen-rce.org / Website: www.nsen.ca

ENJOY!

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN)
Sessional Instructor, Dalhousie University 2009
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
ECJ: http://www.ecojustice.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter" - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.