[Sust-mar] Communications Coordinator, f/t, Sierra Club, Halifax NS

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Dec 10 13:46:54 EST 2010

[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Communications Coordinator

Web: http://atlantic.sierraclub.ca

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

The Sierra Club Canada -- Atlantic Canada Chapter is a non-profit environmental organization based out of Halifax, NS. Sierra Club Canada is a member-based organization that empowers people to protect, restore, and enjoy a healthy and safe planet.

Our focus is on five overriding threats: loss of animal and plant species; deterioration of the planet's oceans and atmosphere; the ever-growing presence of toxic chemicals in all living things; destruction of our remaining wilderness; and spiralling population growth and over consumption.

Since 2003, the Atlantic Canada Chapter has been delivering environmental education programs to elementary and high school students throughout the Atlantic Provinces. The programs are all hands-on, interactive and action-based!

The Atlantic Canada Chapter is very committed to communications with our members and the public. We have been implementing a comprehensive communications strategy that includes social media and traditional sources, such as our newsletter, The Sandpiper.

Requirements/Qualifications:

- University/college degree or relevant experience in a field such as Communications and Public Relations

- Experience in social media and writing

- Familiarity with graphic design and publications

- Strong organizational, management, and supervision skills

- Strong communication skills

- Highly independent worker

- Experience with non-profit organizations

- Bilingualism is not mandatory but will be considered an asset

Applicants must meet ALL eligibility criteria for the YMCA's post secondary youth eco internship program in order to be considered:

* between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the time of placement;

* not receiving Employment Insurance benefit;

* a graduate of a post-secondary education program;

* be unemployed; or underemployed (working 20 hours or less on a regular

basis); or working in a job that does not match your area of educational

study;

* out of school;

* a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee

status has been conferred;

* legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial

legislation and regulations;

* have a social insurance number;

* willing to complete a Police Records Check.

For more information on the PSYEIP program check out their site at http://www.psyeip.ca

Duties:

- Daily interaction with social media and blog

- Design and edit of the newsletter, The Sandpiper

- Manage Chapter Website

- Assist with media relations and releases

- Manage volunteers and interns as required

- Fundraising

We have a high-energy and fasted paced office environment seeking a reliable and dynamic individual to join us as the Communications Coordinator

Application Information:

Deadline: Friday, December 17, 2010 at 4:30 pm Atlantic Standard Time

Interviews will take place Dec 20-23, 2010.

Start date: ASAP, Negotiable

Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.

Remuneration:

$16 hour at 37.5 hours a week until March 18, 2010(dependent on funding)

Location: Halifax, NS

How to Apply:

Please send a cover letter and resume including contact information for 3 references to the attention of Gretchen Fitzgerald.

Contact Name: Gretchen Fitzgerald

E-mail: gretchenf (at) sierraclub.ca

Mail/In Person:

1657 Barrington St.

Roy Building Suite 533

Halifax NS  B3J 2A1

By Fax: (902) 444 3116

For questions, please contact Gretchen Fitzgerald:

gretchenf (at) sierraclub.ca or 902 444 3113.

Sierra Club Atlantic is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Un-subscribe: planetfriendly.net/goodworkunsubscribe.html

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca