[Sust-mar] Climate Change Educ. Coordinator, Sierra Club, PEI (psyeip)

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Dec 21 11:45:54 EST 2010

[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Climate Change Education Coordinator

Type: full-time paid internship (PSYEIP eligibility, see below)

in cooperation with PEI Preserve Company http://www.preservecompany.com

Location: Hunter River / Charlottetown & Environs, Prince Edward Island

The Sierra Club Canada -- Atlantic Canada Chapter is a non-profit environmental organization based out of Halifax, NS. Sierra Club Canada is a member-based organization that empowers people to protect, restore, and enjoy a healthy and safe planet.

Our focus is on five overriding threats: loss of animal and plant species; deterioration of the planet's oceans and atmosphere; the ever-growing presence of toxic chemicals in all living things; destruction of our remaining wilderness; and spiralling population growth and over consumption.

Since 2003, the Atlantic Canada Chapter has been delivering environmental education programs to elementary and high school students throughout the Atlantic Provinces. The programs are all hands-on, interactive and action-based!

Our high school education program continues to focus on sustainability and the Ecological Footprint (TM) concept. Through a joint high school-elementary school mentorship program called SierraBuddies, older students assume leadership roles and deliver sustainability education to younger children. We are seeking out an educator to facilitate and lead this program across Prince Edward Island.

The incumbent will also be required to work on more general climate change policy initiatives and public education. They will be responsible for reviewing and developing sustainable energy/climate change policy for Prince Edward Island, and establishing stakeholder committees to help with this work.

Our partner, the PEI preserve company loves good tasting food, good caring people and Prince Edward Island. They have made it their mission to:

* produce or purvey good tasting food; making sure that the highest quality farm gate produce is used

* work with others in promoting the use of the Golden Rule as our guide in dealing with each other in the workplace and the marketplace

* make sure that people have the best experience while visiting or thinking of visiting this little piece of heaven on Earth... called Prince Edward Island.

Their motto is Everything in Good Taste, and has been as much a part of their guiding principle since 1985 as the Golden Rule. It is because of their strong corporate citizenship values that they have partnered with Sierra Club Atlantic to offer educational opportunities to the students of Prince Edward Island.

Requirements/Qualifications:

- University degree or relevant experience in a field such as Biology, Education, Recreation, Environmental Studies/Science, Public Policy

- Strong knowledge of climate change and energy policy

- Experience in environmental education working directly with children and youth

- Familiarity with project budgeting and reporting

- Strong organizational, management, and supervision skills

- Strong fundraising experience

- Strong communication skills

- Highly independent worker

- Experience with non-profit organizations

- Valid driver's license

- Familiarity with energy policy in Prince Edward Island would be an asset

- Access to car will be considered an asset

- Bilingualism is not mandatory but will be considered an asset

Those applying MUST meet the requirements of the YMCA Eco-Internship program, which are:

* between 15 and 30 years of age (inclusive) at the time of placement;

* not receiving Employment Insurance benefit;

* a graduate of a post-secondary education program;

* be unemployed; or underemployed (working 20 hours or less on a regular basis); or working in a job that does not match your area of educational study;

* out of school;

* a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person on whom refugee status has been conferred;

* legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial/territorial legislation and regulations;

* have a social insurance number;

* willing to complete a Police Records Check.

For more information check that programs website at http://www.psyeip.ca

Duties:

- Delivery and coordination of the high school mentorship program, SierraBuddies

- Work with teachers/school allies to establish SierraBuddies in schools in Prince Edward Island

- Work closely with the education division's Volunteer Coordinator and members of the Atlantic Canada Chapter of Sierra Club

- Develop, coordinate, and lead climate change programs in PEI in coordination with Atlantic-wide partners

- Work with other stakeholders on climate action programs on PEI

- Work with volunteers and consultants to develop a SierraBuddies website

- Manage finances and budgeting

- Write project reports and connect with current/potential funders

- Manage volunteers and interns as required

We have a high-energy and collaborative work environment seeking a reliable and dynamic individual to join us as Climate Change Education Coordinator.

Application Information:

Deadline: Wednesday, December 29, 2010 at 4:30 pm Atlantic Standard Time

Start date: ASAP, Negotiable

Only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Thank you for your understanding.

Remuneration:

$16 hour at 37.5 hours a week until March 18, 2011(dependent on confirmation of funding)

How to Apply:

Please send a cover letter and resume including contact information for 3 references to the attention of Gretchen Fitzgerald.

Contact Name: Gretchen Fitzgerald

E-mail: gretchenf(at) sierraclub.ca

Mail:

1657 Barrington St.

Roy Building Suite 533

Halifax NS  B3J 2A1

By Fax: (902) 444 3116

For questions, please contact Gretchen Fitzgerald:

gretchenf at sierraclub.ca or 902 444 3113.

Sierra Club Atlantic is an equal-opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Un-subscribe: planetfriendly.net/goodworkunsubscribe.html

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca