[Sust-mar] Organic Internship 2011, f/t, Horse & Garden Farm, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Dec 20 21:18:31 EST 2010

[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca]

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Position: Internship in Organic Farming

Type: 4 full-time internship positions with room and board

Location: Windsor, Nova Scotia (25 minutes to Wolfville, 45 minutes to Halifax)

Employment dates: April 1st -- October 31st (dates negotiable)

Full 2011 Intership Information Package Available upon request

Background information: Horse and Garden is a 75 acre riverfront farm about 45 minutes from Halifax, there are currently five 1/4 acre plots devoted to market gardens, a half-acre raspberry u-pick anticipated to open in 2011, and a nine acre dyke field hosting squash and hay. We grow for a local CSA box program, as well as the Windsor and Wolfville Farmer's Market. In 2011 we will be home to a herd of cattle, 7 chickens, 2 horses, 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Position description: This season, Horse and Garden Farm is looking for four interns to grow and learn with the staff. Participation is expected in all aspects of farming production from propagation to preparation, planning and planting, crop rotation, planning, pest and weed management, equipment maintenance and use, and marketing. In exchange for their labour, interns are offered hands-on-practical and traditional learning, attendance at workshops, room and board, and an introduction into the maritime farming community.

Expectations: Interns are encouraged to let us know their expectations for their internship program. No prior experience in farming is necessary, though it is important that all applicants have a strong interest in learning, are physically able to work long days, and emotionally capable of living and working with others.

Qualifications and Skills

- Enthusiasm, strong work ethic, and leadership skills

- Able to work both independently and in groups

- Physically fit

- Willing to work in difficult weather

Food and lodging available.

Persons interested in Wwoofing and Work-stays are also more than welcome to contact us!

If you are interested in applying, please email your resume and an opening email requesting the information package and an interview form. We look forward to hearing from you!

Contact: Charlotte Harper (owner) and Alison Lynes (manager)

Email: horseandgardenfarm at hotmail.com

Website: www.horseandgardenfarm.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Organic Jobs & Internships in Canada

SOIL (Canada) http://www.soilapprenticeships.org/

ACORN (Atlantic Canada) http://www.acornorganic.org/training.html

CRAFT (Ontario) http://www.craftontario.ca/

GoodWork Canada http://goodworkcanada.ca/gw.php?theme=food

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Un-subscribe: planetfriendly.net/goodworkunsubscribe.html

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca