[Sust-mar] Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal Peace and Friendship Gathering at Tatamagouche Centre

Margaret Tusz King margaret at tatacentre.ca
Mon Jul 26 10:38:24 EDT 2010

 Truth, Reconciliation and Beyond
a gathering of peace and friendship

Aug 22-25, 2010; Sunday 2pm to Wednesday 2pm

Tatamagouche Centre

We must challenge our Selves because it is each of us who must struggle with our consciousness. We are ultimately responsible for our actions and inactions; and, we are, each, accountable to the Earth, our Ancestors, Creator, our Children and the Unborn. (gkisedtanamoogk)

The agreements of the Peace and Friendship Treaties signed by Aboriginal and European leaders many years ago are still powerful directives for us today, as we continue efforts to build trust and friendship in this region. They mandate our responsibility and respect; they also confound us, as we have not implemented these promises with each other as was originally envisioned.  So, how can we ensure a future for our children, and engage as neighbours, citizens, communities, churches and other institutions in justice and right relationships today?

Join us for 3 full days of dialogue, learning, sharing and experiencing Peace and Friendship together. Guided by Elders, we will share in ceremonies, teachings and living together. We will learn more about the treaties, current approaches and realities, and our related responsibilities globally, nationally, regionally and through our churches and communities.

Leaders:

Gkisedtanamoogk is a Wampanoag Elder who has been engaged in justice and relationship-building across our cultures for several decades. Catherine Martin is a Mi'kmaq filmmaker, singer and adult educator. Margaret Tusz-King is the Program Director of Tatamagouche Centre. Laura Hunter is the Maritime Conference Minister for Justice and Stewardship, with the United Church of Canada. Several other Elders and presenters will also be in attendance, caring for the Sacred Fire, sharing their wisdom and contributing to our deliberations.

Cost:      $250 (includes meals and 3 nights double-room accommodation);

                $50 day rate (includes 2 meals, snacks plus day program)

Some bursaries available, thanks to the Mennonite Central Committee and the United Church of Canada.

To register, or for more information , please contactTatamagouche Centre at 902-657-2231 or www.tatacentre.ca.