[Sust-mar] Young Naturalists Club Coordinator, f/t, Halifax NS
GoodWork Green Jobs
p2 at planetfriendly.net
Fri Jun 4 13:20:33 EDT 2010
[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca ]
Position: Young Naturalists Club Coordinator
Organization: Young Naturalists Club (of Nova Scotia) http://nature1st.net/ync/
Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia
Project Coordinator -- Young Naturalists Club
The Young Naturalists Club (YNC) is a fun, free nature club for kids aged 8 to 12 years old, based in Halifax, Nova Scotia. During monthly meeting, YNC members hear from fascinating guest speakers about a variety of natural history topics. On monthly field trips, members explore wild areas and natural history institutions on guided hikes and tours. The Club instills a passion for nature in its members, and enables mentors with natural history knowledge to pass on their skills and experiences to the next generation of naturalists.
The YNC has been operating successfully in Halifax for 4 years, and there is now support and funding to expand the Club to a provincial organization. The YNC Coordinator will be responsible for running the Halifax based chapter of the YNC, and expanding the Club by at least 4 new chapters in other Nova Scotian communities.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for getting kids into nature, will be very self motivated, be an excellent networker, and must have a diversity of skills.
* Undergraduate degree in environmental education, biological sciences, education, or related field, AND, experience in coordinating environmental education project or programs
* Experience delivering outdoor educational activities or programs to youth.
* Project coordination experience, including budgeting and accounting experience, report writing, following annual work plan.
* Experience in, and dedication to, nature and/or science interpretation.
* Experience with kids aged 8 to 12 years old.
* Experience with natural history clubs or nature clubs.
* Good motivator of youth and adults -- the YNC Coordinator must inspire and support volunteers and volunteer leaders in communities.
* Continued management of the Halifax chapter of the YNC, including hosting monthly YNC meetings (3rd Saturday morning of each month from September to June), coordinate monthly field trips (4th Sunday afternoon of each month from September to June), facilitate local naturalists sharing their knowledge at meetings and field trips, showcase local outdoor opportunities to YNC families, manage the YNC website and listserve, post YNC events on various online event calendars, participate in board and planning meetings, participate in monthly meetings for environmental educators.
* Increase the number of chapters of YNC in Nova Scotia by four additional regional chapters. This will be done through developing and distributing "Start-up Kits," following-up with meetings and visits to communities, supporting new YNC chapters, and soliciting feedback from interested communities. Evaluation plans for the kits, and the new chapters are to be developed.
* Budgeting and accounting.
* Marketing and promoting the Club
* Liaising with adult natural history organizations
* Writing grant proposals and forging funding partnerships
* Researching nature education resources.
Salary, benefits, and working conditions:
* $35,000/year for 2 years. Funding secure for 1st year, more funding needed for 2nd year.
* 3 weeks paid vacation/year
* Opportunities for travel and professional development within the province
* Currently, there is no office space for this position. The selected candidate would have to work from a home office, or find suitable office space.
* The selected candidate would work under the guidance of the board of directors, and the past YNC Coordinator.
To apply, send resume and cover letter before June 12 to yncns at yahoo.ca. Interviews will be conducted the following week. Phone interviews, including during evenings, are possible.
yncns at yahoo.ca
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.
GOODWORK GREEN JOBS
GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.
SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca
or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com
Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html
This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.
Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001
Listing ID: 11354
More information about the sust-mar