[Sust-mar] Upcoming peace events in Nova Scotia

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Thu Jun 17 01:48:36 EDT 2010

- Please circulate widely -

UPCOMING PEACE EVENTS

News alert: June 7, 2010 - Ottawa to spend $9-billion in sole-source deal
for Lockeed Martin's fighter jets
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-set-to-spend-9-billion-o
n-65-us-fighter-jets/article1595525/ - Tamara's comments: This is $9 billion
of our tax dollars! Lockheed Martin got $2 billion two years ago? Why is the
federal government wasting our money on fighter jets and not spending it on
child care, community centres and climate change initiatives?

1.
Talk: Welcoming Warships? A Critical Look at Nova Scotia's International
Fleet Review on June 22
Tuesday, June 22
7:30-9:00 p.m.
Room 224
Student Union Building, Dalhousie University
6136 University Avenue, Halifax
Free public lecture on Canada's naval centennial and the upcoming Nova
Scotia International Fleet Review that is welcoming warships into the
Halifax Harbour. The world’s largest weapons manufacturers like Lockheed
Martin are funding the international fleet review, NATO members are meeting,
and the US Ambassador is hosting a reception on the USS WASP amphibious
assault ship. The naval centennial and the international fleet review should
be questioned not celebrated - find out more here: http://halifaxifr.ca

Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition. For more information, please
visit: http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org/

2.
No Harbour for War. Canada out of NATO. Canada Out of Afghanistan. No to
Lockheed Martin.
Peaceful picket I during the Nova Scotia International Fleet Review.
Friday, June 25
5-6 pm
HMCS Dockyard
Corner of Barrington St. and Upper Water/Cornwallis St., Halifax
This peaceful picket is timed to coincide with the NATO meeting onboard the
Danish warship the ABSALON that carries heavy machine guns, missile systems,
revolver gun systems, and torpedoes. Please bring signs calling for a green,
peace economy not a war economy, warships not welcome and no harbour for
war. We will pass out brochures. Find out more about the International Fleet
Review: http://halifaxifr.ca
Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition. For more information, please
visit: http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org/

3.
Talk: Nova Scotia & Canada at the Crossroads: Sustainability or Militarism?
June 29
Tuesday, June 29
7:30-9:00 p.m.
Room 224
Student Union Building, Dalhousie University
6136 University Avenue, Halifax
Free public lecture. Join us in a critical dialogue about the troubling rise
of militarism in our country and our province and how this threatens the
progress we are trying to make on sustainability. Come to learn about the
doubling of Canada's military spending and the Canada First Defence Strategy
but the federal government has cut environmental and climate change
programs. Learn about US weapons manufacturers lobbying our federal and
provincial governments. Find out about the Nova Scotia government's new
plans to make our province a "world leader in defence". What should be our
defence and foreign policies? What is the appropriate role for our military?
How can we create a culture of peace and sustainability?
Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition For more information, please visit:
http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org/

4.
No Harbour for War. No More NATO. Ends the Wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Peace economy not military economy.
Peaceful picket II during the Nova Scotia International Fleet Review.
Wednesday, June 30
5-6 pm
HMCS Dockyard
Corner of Barrington St. and Upper Water/Cornwallis St., Halifax
This peaceful picket is timed to coincide with the US Ambassador to Canada's
reception on the USS WASP, a horrendous US amphibious assault ship that
carries missile systems, machines guns and cannons. Please bring signs
calling for a green, peace economy not a war economy, warships not welcome
and no harbour for war. We will pass out brochures. Find out more about the
International Fleet Review: http://halifaxifr.ca
Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition. For more information, please
visit: http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org/

5.
Film Screening: Martin Luther King & Call to Conscience on July 7
Tuesday, July 6 from
7:30-9:00 p.m.
Room 224
Student Union Building, Dalhousie University
6136 University Avenue
Free public film screening.
This powerful documentary delves into one of Martin Luther King Jr.'s
greatest speeches, "Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence," which Dr. King
delivered on April 4, 1967, at the Riverside Church in New York City. Today
this speech is acknowledged to be one of the most powerful ever written by
Dr. King and filmmaker PBS Host Tavis Smiley deconstructs the meaning of the
speech, as well as put it in a contemporary context, particularly in light
of the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan. This is an important
critique of militarism. A must see. Hard copies of the speech will be
available.
Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition For more information, please visit:
http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org/

Other peace events:

6.
The Art of Peace Summer Camps
Who: Children ages 8 - 13
Dates: Week 1, July 26 to 30, Week 2, August 16 to 20
Time: 9:00 am – 4:00 pm, with extended care available
Where: Saint Mary’s University, Robie Street, Halifax, Nova Scotia
Cost: $125 per week
This summer, Peaceful Schools International will again host the Art of Peace
Summer Camp for 8 - 13 year-olds. The camp provides children with an
opportunity to creatively explore the meaning of peace – within ourselves,
in our communities and in the world. Local artists and peace activists visit
and make presentations throughout the camp. Children will learn about peace
through activities such as drama, puppetry, tie-dye, and writing.
Participants also have the opportunity to understand more about global peace
by learning what life is like for children their age in Sierra Leone and
Pakistan.
For more information, or to register, please visit the website at
http://peacefulschoolsinternational.org/peacecamp/peacecamp10.htm or contact
us at 1-866-532-0228 or info at peacefulschoolsinternational.org.

7.
Being the Change: Building a Culture of Peace . . . in our classrooms, our
communities, and our world – July
Halifax, NS – July 7-9
Mount Saint Vincent University
This interactive and action-oriented conference will give participants the
opportunity to explore together how peace education, the women's movement,
and the disarmament movement have contributed and can continue to contribute
to building a more peaceful world for all of us. Building on inspiration
from local and global leaders in these areas, the focus of the conference is
to encourage dialogue around these themes and to develop some concrete
action steps that we can all take to build a culture of peace in our
communities. For more information, contact peaceconference at msvu.ca. Program
information, and registration details here:
http://www.msvu.ca/en/home/aboutus/PeaceConference/default.aspx

8.
Public consultations on UN SC resolution 1325 - Women & Peace
Peacebuild and the Peace Operations and Fragile States Policy Division of
the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade of Canada (DFAIT)
invite you to participate in a consultation on:
Canada’s Draft National Action Plan for the implementation of United Nations
Security Council Resolutions 1325, 1820, 1888 and 1889 on
Women, Peace and Security
Objective of Consultations: To collect stakeholder input and feedback to
influence the development of Canada’s draft Action Plan (CAP). French and
English versions of the draft CAP are attached.
Methods of participating
1.  Focus Group Discussions in Vancouver (9:00 am, June 14); Toronto (9:00
am, June 15); Montreal (June 22)
2.  Electronic submissions: Comments on the CAP may be submitted via email
to consultations at peacebuild.ca until June 21, 2010.  12 noon. Attached
please find a list of questions to guide your reflection on the CAP.
3.  Teleconferences: A series of 1 hr consultations will be conducted via
teleconference on June 16, 17, 18 (English) and on June 22 and 23
(Bilingual; without simultaneous translation) at the times listed below. To
participate in a teleconference, email consultations at peacebuild.ca
indicating in the subject line your chosen date and time.
June 16, 17, 22, 23	June 18
-09:30 to 10:30
-11:00 to 12:00
-13:00 to 14:00
-14:30 to 15:30
-16:00 to 17:00
 	-09:30 to 10:30
-11:00 to 12:00
-12:30 to 1:30
-1:30 to 2:30
For further information or to let us know your preferred method of
participating, please email consultations at peacebuild.ca. Thank you for your
attention to this important opportunity to influence the development of the
Canadian Action Plan for the Implementation of UN Security Council
Resolutions on Women, Peace and Security.
Warm regards,
Melissa Yule
Project Assistant
Consultations on Canada’s Action Plan –UNSCRs on Women, Peace and Security
/Consultations sur le plan d’action canadien – Résolutions du Conseil des
Nations Unies sur les femmes, la paix et la sécurité
Peacebuild/Paix Durable
1216-1 rue Nicholas Street, Ottawa ON K1N 7B7
Tel/tél : 613.241.3446  Fax/téléc. : 613.241.4846
E-mail/courriel : consultations at peacebuild.ca
www.peacebuild.ca

***********

For a green, peace economy not a military, war economy,

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
Executive Director, Nova Scotia Environmental Network (NSEN)
BA, BComm, MBA, LLB
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
ECJ: http://www.ecojustice.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://hfxpeace.chebucto.org/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary
spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility
to poverty, racism, and militarism." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1967