[Sust-mar] News from the NSEN: New Address, New ED, Hands Across the Sand this Saturday!

NSEN nsen at cen-rce.org
Fri Jun 25 06:33:04 EDT 2010

* NEWS FROM THE NOVA SCOTIA ENVIRONMENTAL NETWORK*

June 25, 2010

Lots of events, consultations and resources listed below. Please scroll
through! Please circulate!

JOIN US!  HANDS ACROSS THE SAND: FROM THE GULF OF MEXICO TO THE GEORGES BANK
- THIS SATURDAY!
A vigil for a clean energy future
Saturday, June 26
12-1p.m at Black Rock Beach, Point Pleasant Park, Halifax  OR
[OR 11am-12pm at Lawrencetown Beach ]

Hands Across the Sand is a simple, powerful action in solidarity with the
communities in the Gulf of Mexico affected by the devastating BP oil spill.
There will be Hands Across the Sand events across North America at noon on
Saturday. We are jointly calling for the protection of our oceans, marine
wildlife, coastal communities and fishing industry.  We will share
reflections on what has happened in the Gulf and hold hands in a symbolic
gesture of concern and compassion for the tragedy in the Gulf. Let us share
our knowledge, energies and passion for protecting the environment and our
health from the harmful effects of oil drilling. In Nova Scotia, we are
calling for a permanent moratorium on offshore oil drilling  in the Georges
Bank and for more action on renewable energy. For a green, clean energy
future.
Organized by the Sierra Club of Canada-Nova Scotia, Nova Scotia
Environmental Network, and the Nova Scotia Climate Action Network.
More info: www.nsen.ca or call 454-6846 or email nsen at cen-rce.org
More information about the Hands Across the Sand events:
http://www.handsacrossthesand.com/

ENGO MEETING & CONFERENCE CALL ON DRAFT NATURAL RESOURCE STRATEGY JUNE 28
Monday, June 28
12pm-2pm - Bring your own lunch and comments on the draft natural resource
strategy "A Natural Balance"
Boardroom, Ecology Action Centre
2705 Fern Lane, Halifax
For out of towners, conference call Dial-in Number:1-888-330-9943
Participant PIN: 957627 #
Organized by NSEN, EAC, and Sierra Club Atlantic Chapter
More info: Raymond Plourde
Wilderness Coordinator
(902) 442-5008
Email: wilderness at ecologyaction.ca

NATURAL RESOURCES STRATEGY 2010 - PLEASE SUPPORT THE RECOMMENDATIONS
Please review the recommendations made in the Phase 2 Report - A Natural
Balance: Working Toward Nova Scotia's Natural Resources Strategy released in
May. There are expert reports on Biodiversity, Parks, Minerals and Forestry.

More information here: http://www.gov.ns.ca/natr/strategy2010/
*Please email the Minister of Natural Resources to say that you support the
recommendations in "A Natural Balance" Phase 2 report and want a change in
the management of our natural resources respecting biodiversity and an
ecosystem-approach: Email Minister MacDonnell at : min_dnr at gov.ns.ca

NSEN WATER CAUCUS MONTHLY CALL ON JUNE 28
The next Water Caucus call will be on Monday, June 28 at 9:30 a.m.
Call-in information: 1-866-805-7923 Pass code: 520206
For more information, please contact:
Jocelyne Rankin, B.Sc., M.E.S., Water Coordinator, Ecology Action Centre
Phone: 902.442.5046 Email: water at ecologyaction.ca / More info here:
http://nsen.ca/water.php

*Check out the latest water caucus news items on the NSEN newsroom:
http://nsen.ca/news.php

COMMUNITY GARDENS NEW WEB SITES & CONFERENCE ON URBAN AGRICULTURE
HRM My Community  - How to Start A Community Garden:
http://www.myhrm.ca/ToolKit/CommunityGardens.php

HRM Community Gardens:
http://www.halifax.ca/crca/CommunityEngagement/CommunityGardens.html

Nova Scotia Agricultural College "Planning Urban Agriculture in the 21st
Century Sept. 24-25 in Truro
http://www.nsac.ca/conferences/urbanagriculture/

PLEASE READ THE NOVA SCOTIA AUDITOR GENERAL'S NEW REPORT- CONTAMINATED SITE
NS Auditor General, Jacques Lapointe, reviewed the Department of
Environment's work on contaminated sites in his report released earlier this
month. Please check out the Auditor General's recommendations here:
http://oag-ns.ca/

PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS: Cleaning Up: Help us make contaminated land safe and
productive - JULY 31
This is your chance to tell Nova Scotia Environment how we can make the
rules around cleaning up contaminated sites clearer and easier to follow.
Nova Scotia Environment is proposing a variety of options to manage
contaminated sites in the province. We need to know what you think of each
idea. As such we are providing you with a document which presents the
options we are proposing. Public comments on the discussion document will be
accepted until July 31, 2010. We invite you to comment in a variety of ways.
Online: Comments can be submitted via our online consultation form. Written
comments can be sent to: Contaminated Sites Management Development Project
c/o Policy and Planning Branch, P.O. Box 442, Halifax, NS, B3J 2P8 E-mail:
policy at gov.ns.ca / Fax: (902) 424-0644
More info:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/nse/contaminatedsites/policy.consultation.asp

PUBLIC CONSULTATIONS FOR COASTAL MANAGEMENT IN NS - UNTIL JUNE 30
The public is invited to give input via the Department's website,
(http://www.gov.ns.ca/coast/views.htm ) or via written submission. For more
information and directions to the open houses visit: www.gov.ns.ca/coast
Telephone: (902) 424-2894. *Read the State of the Coast report:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/coast/state-of-the-coast.htm

PROVINCE SEEKS INPUT ON RENEWABLE ELECTRICITY REGULATIONS
People and organizations with an interest in renewable electricity
generation are invited to comment on draft regulations designed to guide the
implementation of the province's new renewable electricity plan.  Earlier
this spring, government introduced its plan to achieve 25 per cent renewable
electricity by 2015, and set a goal of 40 per cent renewable electricity by
2020. Legislation supporting the plan was passed last month. The regulations
establish eligibility for community-based projects and a process for
determining how they get paid, along with a special process to support the
next stage of tidal development. They also establish a new renewable
electricity administrator to manage bids for larger projects from
independent power producers. Copies of the Renewable Electricity Plan and
the draft regulations are available online on the Department of Energy
website at www.gov.ns.ca/energy or by calling 902-424-8802. Submissions can
be made by e-mail to renewableregs at gov.ns.ca or in writing to, Department of
Energy, Renewable Regulations, 400-5151 George St., P.O. Box 2664, Halifax,
N.S., B3J 3P7. The deadline for submissions is July 23. A series of public
meetings will be held around the province later this spring to discuss the
regulations. Check the department website in the coming weeks for
consultation dates and locations. More information here:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/energy/renewables/renewable-regulations/
*Check out the Renewable Electricity Plan:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/energy/renewables/renewable-electricity-plan/default.as

WHAT'S YOUR VISION FOR SABLE ISLAND? CONSULTATIONS UNTIL AUG. 15
Parks Canada is holding Open Houses where you can learn more and share your
ideas about how Sable Island can be protected and appreciated as a National
Park. You can also participate by visiting Parks Canada's website and
sending your comments by August 15, 2010.
Sable Island is a unique treasure with a long and fascinating history. All
Canadians have a role to play in ensuring the future of this iconic place
for the benefit of present and future generations. Share your ideas!
Attend an Open House:
Tuesday June 22, 2010
Thursday June 24, 2010
3pm - 8pm (presentations at 4:30 pm and 7pm)
Maritime Museum of the Atlantic, 1675 Lower Water Street, Halifax
Saturday June 26, 2010
9am to 1pm, presentation at 10:30
Pier 21, 1055 Marginal Road, Halifax
More details:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/progs/np-pn/cnpn-cnnp/sable/~/media/progs/np-pn/cnpn
-cnnp/sable/prenez-gete_pdf.ashx
http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/progs/np-pn/cnpn-cnnp/sable/prenez-get.aspx

CALL FOR INPUT: FEDERAL SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT STRATEGY 2010 - DEADLINE
JULY 12
The Federal Sustainable Development Strategy is now open for consultation.
Read the Federal Minister of Environment Jim Prentice's letter and
consultation paper here:
http://www.ec.gc.ca/dd-sd/default.asp?lang=En&n=E19EE696-1 Planning for a
Sustainable Future: A Federal Sustainable Development Strategy for Canada
(43 pages, PDF FORMAT - 296 KB) . Alternative formats are available by
submitting a request by email at sdo-bdd at ec.gc.ca.Your comments on the draft
Federal Sustainable Development Strategy can be provided by email to
sdo-bdd at ec.gc.ca or mailed to the Sustainable Development Office at
Environment Canada at the following address by July 12, 2010: Federal
Sustainable Development Office, 10 Wellington Street, 25th Floor,
Environment Canada, Gatineau, QC K1A 0H3.

DEPARTMENT OF ENVIRONMENT - 2010 EGSPA REPORT OUT & REMEDIATION REPORT OUT!
To read the 2010 progress report on EGSPA, please go to:
http://www.gov.ns.ca/nse/egspa/
Remediation Monitoring Oversight Report Released
Second Annual Report to the Minister, Nova Scotia Environment
Submitted by the Remediation Monitoring Oversight Board
May 17, 2010
http://www.gov.ns.ca/nse/ea/tarponds/RMOB.2010.Report.pdf

NEW LOCAL FOOD FUND TO AWARD $10,000 IN GRANTS
The Local Food Fund was recently established at the Community Foundation of
Nova Scotia to support community-based organizations throughout the province
which help to develop and sustain a healthy, local food supply for all Nova
Scotians. Five cash grants of $2,000 each are available.  For more
information and to download an application form, please visit the Community
Foundation of Nova Scotia's website at www.cfns.ca Posted by: Allison
Kouzovnikov
www.cfns.ca

OTHER UPCOMING EVENTS
(1) Who Owns the Coast? East Coast Environmental Law (ECELAW) is pleased to
announce our 2010 summer workshop, Who Owns the Coast?  The purpose of this
one day workshop is to connect members of the public with information and
resources to ensure better coastal management over the long term.   The
workshop will be held in three locations in Nova Scotia: Sydney, Monday,
July 19; Halifax, Thursday, July 22; andLiverpool Friday, July 23 from
8:30am - 4:30pm.  The workshop material will be developed by various
professionals in the legal community, including ECELAW board members,
private practice lawyers, and professors at the Schulich School of Law.  We
hope that the above topics are of interest to you and would be pleased to
have you attend our workshop, at any of the above locations. For the
workshop agenda and to register please see the attached registration form.
If you have any additional question, please send all inquiries to
workshop at ecelaw.ca or call 902 494 8041. Feel free to circulate this
invitation to colleagues and friends that may be interested in the workshop
material.  Thank you for your consideration and we hope to see you in July!
Zeynep Husrevoglu
Workshop Coordinator
6061 University Avenue
Halifax, NS B3H 4H9
(902) 494 8041
www.ecelaw.ca

(2) *HIGHLY RECOMMENDED FOR EVERYONE! The Tatamagouche Model of Education,
Design and Leadership: Level I More than just facilitation skills! August 8
- 13; Sun 7pm to Fri 1 pm
Through in-depth practice, discussion, and reflection, this program applies
participatory educational methods, invites participants to rediscover a love
of learning and provides tools to encourage others to do the same - leading
to personal transformation and relevant social action.  Whether you organize
meetings, workshops or design complex projects or programs, this is an
opportunity for you to gain skills, clarify leadership styles and deepen
insights into group work. Designed for both experienced and novice
facilitators, participants will learn and practice a methodology developed
by popular education and honed by Tatamagouche Centre over 30 years.
Leadership: Camille Dumond, TC Program Development Coordinator, and Rose
Adams, artist and educator. Cost: $725 ($345 tuition + $380
meals/accommodations). Ask the Registrar, Katja, about the Centre's bursary
program. Contact us : 1.800.218.2220
www.tatacentre.ca / Email: tatacent at tatacentre.ca

 (3) Harrison Lewis Centre Events _ LOTS OF EVENTS THROUGHOUT THE SUMMER
JUNE 25, 27: Digital nature photography with Len Wagg whose PixelPlus column
appears monthly in the Chronicle Herald. Wagg's striking images in "Wild
Nova Scotia" (Nimbus, 2007) delight and inform - we live in a beautiful and
frequently unspoiled corner of the world!  Friday evening (dinner and
introduction) through Sunday morning includes a sunrise walk on Sandy Bay
beach, followed by a leisurely hike to the seal rocks at Keji Seaside Park
with a picnic lunch along the way. Evening sessions cover filing, storing,
editing and printing techniques. Five home-cooked meals, plus overnight
accommodations (shared cabins or tenting). Small class assures plenty of
one-on-one assistance. Early-bird registration by May 25. Registration
closes June 15. More information or to register contact the Harrison Lewis
Centre, RR 1 Port Joli, NS B0T 1S0. (902) 683-2763.

(4) Hope for Wildlife Society Open House
August 29, 2010 from 12pm-4pm Location: Hope for Wildlife Society, 5909
Highway 207, SeaforthMore:  Event held Rain or Shine. Wildlife Displays and
Demonstrations, Tours, Horseback Rides, Barbeque, Auction, Facepainting, and
much more - fun for the whole family. Contact: www.hopeforwildlife.net

(5) Nova Scotia Nature Trust Annual Dinner & Auction
October 28, 2010 at 5:30pm Location: World Trade & Convention Centre, 1800
Argyle Street, Halifax. Please join the Nova Scotia Nature Trust for our
Annual gala dinner and conservation celebration. This year we are excited
and honoured to have as our guest speaker, Dr. George Archibald, co-founder
of the International Crane Foundation. Come partake in a wonderful evening
with friends and support the important land conservation work of the Nature
Trust! To order your tickets, please contact Robin or Nicole at 902-425-5263
or robin at nsnt.ca.
Contact: Robin Levy, Nova Scotia Nature Trust, www.nsnt.ca

(6)
Halifax's 1st (Soon To Be Annual) Oceans Film Festival
Start Time:	Tuesday, 29 June 2010 at 19:30
End Time:	Wednesday, 30 June 2010 at 22:00
Location:	The Museum of the Atlantic and Museum of Natural History
Brought to you by the International Ocean Institute(IOI) Canada-Dal, and the
Museum of the Atlantic
Keynote Speaker: Dr. Peter Wells toxicologist speaks about the oil spill in
the Gulf of Mexico
Tuesday June 29th and Wednesday June 30th.
Museum of Natural History Auditorium
1747 Summer Street
Screening schedule
Tuesday June 29
7:30-8:00PM- Keynote Speaker Dr. Peter Wells
8:00-9:30PM-"A Sea Change"
Wednesday June 30th
7:15-8:00PM-"Wild Ocean"
8:15-9:45PM- "End of the Line"
9:45-10:00- Film Fest wrap-up
Technically since this is our first year it's more of a film screening than
a festival, however, we will be featuring the latest and most acclaimed
documentaries on the state of the ocean from recent significant film
festivals around the world and it is FREE ADMISSION.
This year's lineup is
"End of the Line"
"Wild Oceans"
"A Sea Change"
To make this an annual event we really need your support, so come down to
the water and check us out the week of June 28th, invite your friends, and
keep your eyes open for more details or event changes.

(7)
Invitation to the launch of Off the Hook 'Community Supported Fishery'
When: Saturday, June 26th, 12-3pm
Where: Maritime Museum of the Atlantic (courtyard on the waterfront)
What: Community Fish BBQ and filleting demonstrations
Off the Hook, a new cooperative of hook and line fishers, has been working
with the Ecology
Action Center, Nova Scotia's oldest environmental organization to launch
Atlantic Canada's first
Community Supported Fishery (CSF).
This coming Saturday, June 26th, this new enterprise is ready to celebrate
its start. The five
member fishers and their families are inviting local seafood lovers to
sample their fresh,
sustainable catch and learn about this new business model that serves to
connect Haligonians to
the folks who catch their supper.
Offering weekly deliveries of fresh whole haddock, pollock, and hake, Off
the Hook CSF will
connect small-scale fishermen from the Bay of Fundy to customers in and
around Halifax who
buy a share of their catch. CSFs originally developed in coastal Maine,
taking their cue from
community supported agriculture (CSA) programs and work to get seafood into
the local food
mix. Off the Hook's fish shares will never be old, frozen, or badly handled,
and will always be
caught by bottom hook and line fishers who believe in sustainable fishing
practices and are
working for the future of their communities.
Shannon Arnold, M.E.S
Marine Coordinator
Ecology Action Centre
2705 Fern Lane
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada  B3K 4L3
(902)446-4840
sharnold at ecologyaction.ca

(8)
Reclamation Conference In October
Find out more details here: http://www.arc2010.atlanticclra.ca/

(9)
TALK: NOVA SCOTIA & CANADA AT THE CROSSROADS:
SUSTAINABILITY OR MILITARISM?
Tuesday, June 29 7:30-9:00 p.m.
Room 224, Student Union Building, Dalhousie University, 6136 University
Avenue, Halifax
Free public lecture. Join us in a critical dialogue about the troubling rise
of militarism in our country and our province and how this threatens the
progress we are trying to make on sustainability. Come to learn about the
doubling of Canada's military spending and the Canada First Defence Strategy
but the federal government has cut environmental and climate change
programs. Learn about US weapons manufacturers lobbying our federal and
provincial governments. What should be our defence and foreign policies?
What is the appropriate role for our military? How can we create a culture
of peace and sustainability?
Free, public event. All welcome. Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition
For more information, please visit: http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org/

FILM SCREENING: MARTIN LUTHER KING & A CALL TO CONSCIENCE
Tuesday, July 6 from 7:30-9:00 p.m.
Room 224, Student Union Building, Dalhousie University, 6136 University
Avenue, Free.
This powerful documentary delves into one of Martin Luther King Jr.'s
greatest speeches, "Beyond Vietnam: A Time to Break Silence," which he
delivered on April 4, 1967, in New York. Today this speech is acknowledged
to be one of the most powerful ever written by Dr. King and filmmaker PBS
Host Tavis Smiley deconstructs the meaning of the speech, as well as put it
in a contemporary context, particularly in light of the current conflicts in
Iraq and Afghanistan. This is an important critique of militarism. A must
see. Hard copies of the speech will be available.
Free, public event. All welcome. Organized by the Halifax Peace Coalition
For more information, please visit: http://www.hfxpeace.chebucto.org/

*************

NSEN HAS A NEW ADDRESS!
NSEN's new office and mailing address is:
NSEN
c/o Veith House
3115 Veith St.
Halifax, NS B3K 3G9
The NSEN web site, email, phone number and fax number will all stay the
same. Please be sure to update your address book.

***********

*Please mark your calendars for the NSEN-Sierra Club Annual Gathering at the
beautiful Stonehame Lodge & Chalets in Pictou County from September 10-12.
More details to come. A friendly reminder to please add your events, jobs,
action alerts and announcements on our NSEN web site: www.nsen.ca. NSEN is
on Facebook so be sure to become a friend:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2684635633

As well, the RCEN's Annual Conference "Conserving Biodiversity Pays: The
Values of Ecosystem Services" will be in Montreal from Sept. 17-19 and you
can register now: http://www.cen-rce.org/AGA/2010/index.html

Janelle Frail will be taking over as the new Executive Director of the NSEN
- welcome Janelle! http://nsen.ca/staff.php

Thank you and have a wonderful summer!

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz, BA, BComm, LLB, MBA
Executive Director (NSEN)
Nova Scotia Environmental Network
c/o Veith House
3115 Veith St.
Halifax, NS B3K 3G9
Phone: 902-454-6846
Fax: 902-454-6841
Email: nsen at cen-rce.org
Web Site: www.nsen.ca
*NSEN: Connecting for a Sustainable Future*

Post your events & announcements to www.nsen.ca - click on CONNECT!
NSEN Annual Gathering at Stonehame Lodge in Pictou Harbour Sept. 10-12.