[Sust-mar] Youth Action Gathering Facilitators, vol., Halifax NS

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Jun 23 12:54:27 EDT 2010

[as posted to PlanetVolunteer.net]

VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITY

Position: Youth Action Gathering Facilitators

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

The Sierra Youth Coalition is an organization run by youth for youth, serving as the youth arm of the Sierra Club of Canada. Our mission is to empower young people to become active community leaders who contribute to making Canada a better society.

To this end, we educate young people about ecological and social sustainability; we challenge unjust and environmentally destructive systems by using a hope-based approach; and we advocate for the new generation of youths in Canada who want to inherit a world worth inheriting: one where social justice and the environment are at the center of everyone's priorities.

The Halifax Youth Action Gatherings (YAG) is a 4 day long gathering, from August 9-12th, that will build youth awareness and leadership skills for environmental and social justice. The will YAG provide powerful training opportunities for high school students who would like to see their peers and schools foster a culture of sustainability and achieve deep CO2 emissions reductions.

The main role of the facilitators will be to deliver programming, run activities and supervise the youth. The facilitators may also present workshops and assist with tasks such as food preparation.

The facilitators may also assist with logistics, outreach and fund raising in the weeks leading up to the gathering.

Qualifications:

Preferred Qualifications:

* Excellent people skills and enthusiasm

* Experience leading youth age 14-19

* Interest in environmental and social justice issues

* Interesting skills or knowledge and willingness to share

* Available August 9th-12th

* Willingness to contribute 1-3 hours a week in July leading up to the gathering for training and logistics

* First aid and CPR training an asset

* Food safety training an asset

* Must get a criminal record check

Apply by emailing a resume and short cover letter describing your experience and why you want the position, to Kaleigh at  halifax.yag at syc-cjs.org .

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Un-subscribe: planetfriendly.net/goodworkunsubscribe.html

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca