[Sust-mar] Upcoming School of Planning Conference: PLAY

Heather Ternoway hternoway at eastlink.ca
Tue Mar 9 22:18:06 EST 2010

Hello Sust-Martians!

We would like to invite you to attend next week's School of Planning Conference about PLAY. Please see below for information. Please share with your networks / colleagues / friends who may be interested in this exciting event. Our apologies for any cross-postings.

PLAY?! School of Planning Conference
March 18-19
5410 Spring Garden Road (Medjuck Building)

**Registration deadline extended to MARCH 12 for for Dalhousie School of Planning Conference**

When was the last time you played? Urban planning aims to create dynamic cities where people can live and work, but what about play? Play is an essential piece of the puzzle that is fundamental to the livability of our city. Play exists in many forms but we tend to overlook the importance of recreation as an integral part of a healthy lifestyle. We will raise awareness of the ways in which our community lends itself to play and how it could be better suited for play. Key discussions will be centred on how we play, who can play, and where we play. This year’s School of Planning Conference Module will inspire creativity and incorporate play into the design of our city.

Our keynote speaker is Michael Gordon, Senior Central Area Planner for the City of Vancouver, overseeing planning in the downtown peninsula. Michael is passionate about public spaces, urban subcultures and making planning more widely accessible. He has written extensively on urban design and planning, demographics and housing and is currently collaborating on a book on urban subcultures in North American communities. The sessions and events will focus on design, accessibility, informal and formal environments, and health and wellness in relation to play.

Conference registration is EXTENDED TO MARCH 12TH, 2010 by 4pm*. You can send your registration form electronically (*planconf at dal.ca*) or to the following address:

Let’s Play More!
c/o School of Planning, Dalhousie University
P.O. Box 1000, 5410 Spring Garden Road
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada B3J 2X4

For more on the conference (including the registration form!), check out our website:
www.planningconference.dal.ca

Cheers,
Heather :)

Heather Ternoway, MCIP LPP