[Sust-mar] JOB: Administrative & Hosting Coordinator, Windhorse Farm
saskiatait at gmail.com
Tue May 18 18:02:52 EDT 2010
Administrative & Hosting Coordinator
We are seeking an organized, energetic, detail-oriented individual to
serve as full-time Administrative & Programs Support Coordinator.
Before applying, please consider the fact that the requirements of
this position will necessitate that you are based near Windhorse Farm.
If you are not living on Nova Scotia’s South Shore, you should be
willing to relocate.
Characteristic Duties & Responsibilities:
This is a 5 days, 40 hours per week position (Wednesday - Sunday). The
position will be located at Windhorse Farm’s office in New Germany,
Nova Scotia. This position reports to the Windhorse Farm Program &
Communications Manager and Executive Directors. This staff person will
be responsible for a wide range of administrative projects and program
- Answer general phone line and general emails.
- Enter and maintain contact information in database.
- Monitor and evaluate reservations and program enrollment, conduct
cancellation procedures when necessary.
- Maintain database records of communications and actions.
- Review accommodations and group meeting room assignments and adjust
- File documents and maintain filing system (mostly electronically).
- Stock office supplies.
- Assist with website development to reflect the current program
- Respond to support requests from the Program Manager, staff and
- Assist Program Manager with the creation of reservation database and
- Assist Program Manager and Directors with meetings as needed.
- Assist with problem-solving on operational issues.
- Direct calls and inquiries related to the Windhorse Farm Businesses
(Eco-Woodshop, Tonewood, Sweetwater Plant Nursery)
- Special projects and other tasks as assigned.
- Serve as the primary point-of-contact for program inquiries and
communications, including handling of registrations, maintaining
updated lists and contact information and responding to and directing
requests for information.
- Answer and respond to requests and special needs of guests and
groups via phone, email and in-person.
- Create reservations and arrangements for program leaders, their
guests, and assistants.
- Inform Program Manager of low enrollment and follow up with
- Assist Programs Manager with the development and distribution of
program leader recruitment materials and the program leader
- Ongoing correspondence with program leaders to confirm details of
reservations, program requirements, and program hours.
- Conduct program leader orientations when assigned.
- Meet and greet program leaders, assist them as necessary.
- Facilitation of communication among participants, cooks, faculty,
the hosting team, etcetera.
- Coordination of the environment and hospitality operations before,
during and after programs.
- Assisting the cooks/caterers and gardeners in menu planning (e.g.
food availability for purchase on farm).
- Hospitality (information, support, care). You may have to get your
- Opening and closing programs (greeting and saying goodbye to program
- Group/ program participant orientation to WHF grounds and facilities.
- Disseminate feedback forms and evaluations.
- Manage the Farm Store on weekends before and after programs.
- Briefing and debriefing staff before and after programs.
The ideal candidate is someone excited to deliver the best possible
customer service to our faculty, our guests and our staff. A proven
history of successful service is required as well as a genuine
interest in making people appreciate their experience and the quality
of interaction with the staff.
This position provides critical administrative support and
coordination. 2-3 years experience in administrative and/or program
coordination is preferred, but most important is a genuine
willingness, ability and appreciation for this role.
Excellent writing, interpersonal and communication skills are required.
This position can be involved in critical conversations and decision-
making that on occasion are met with a lot of energy or even conflict.
The ability to remain calm and bring perspective into a situation is
essential. The ability to work with conflict well is helpful.
This position is responsible for accurate recording of information
that is communicated and acted upon broadly (i.e. mistakes and
miscommunications are felt by many). The ability to be precise,
accurate and organized and to multitask with ease is essential.
This position works with Excel spreadsheets, web-based data gathering
systems and other tools to organize and keep track of information.
Knowledge of Excel, MacIntosh, and databases as well as skills in web-
based applications are necessary.
The level of detail in this position requires a lot of effort to
master and retain. A minimum of 3 years intention is requested.
You can view a more complete description on our website: http://www.windhorsefarm.org/pages/jobs.php
. Please email a resume, including cover letter, detailing your
qualifications, experience and interest by email to info at windhorsefarm.org
. We thank you in advance for your application, but only those
selected for an interview will be contacted.
We will accept applications until a suitable candidate is found.
More information about the sust-mar