[Sust-mar] sust-mar posting guidelines

Peter Watson pwatson at ns.sympatico.ca
Sun Oct 17 08:52:15 EDT 2010

Hello faithful Sust-Martians!

A couple of bits of housekeeping:

First off, a sincere thank you to all the fine folks and organizations who
responded and contributed to our recent plea for funds so that we (sust-mar)
can pay our web hosting bills! Because of your generousity, sust-mar now has
enough in the coffers to pay for this year's Web Networks hosting, as well
as a good chunk of next year's.

Also, a big thank you to all of you subscribers out there who have now
swelled sust-mar membership to over 600. Great news and messages about
environmental events and initiatives continue to pour in, so we can in
turn can send them out to our ever increasing list of subscribers.

For the benefit of all the new members and as a reminder to all the long
termers, please see the summarized sust-mar posting guidelines below.
Your taking the time to read and follow these guidelines will ensure that
your messages arrive and get sent out promptly, and will greatly decrease
wasted time, effort and frustration for everyone. If you want more
information and clarity on any of these points, I've included a link to a
item.

This posting rules list is now up on the sust-mar home page for your
convenience. Please go to  www.sustainablemaritimes.ca to see this list at
any time.

Thanks, and enjoy the uncoming autumn!

Peter

SUST-MAR POSTING RULES:

The first three rules below are mandatory for getting your message accepted. The others will ensure your message gets prioritized and sent out promptly.

**SUBMIT MESSAGES to sust-mar at list.web.net ONLY**
All other sust-mar addresses are directed to the moderator's email, not the sust-mar list. We wont submit messages for you.

**SUBMIT MESSAGES ONLY FROM THE EMAIL YOU SUBSCRIBED FROM**
Messages submitted from any unsubscribed email address will be bounced by the server. All letters/digits in address must be identical to those in subscribed address for the message to be accepted. If your message bounces, it's ALMOST ALWAYS because you've changed your email address.

**NO ATTACHMENTS PLEASE**
Sust-mar is not configured to send out attachments. Please submit all messages in TEXT FORMAT ONLY.

USE DESCRIPTIVE SUBJECT LINES AND ACCURATE LOCATIONS.
Subjects like "Message to submit" or "Please post to list" give readers no idea what the message is about, and people probably wont read it.

LOCAL NEWS TAKES PRIORITY.
We prioritize events, announcements, and news from or pertaining to Atlantic Canada specifically.

CONSOLIDATE MESSAGES IF YOU CAN.
If you have more than one news item or event to announce, we strongly encourage consolidating everything into one message. We approve on average one message per day. This can increase in high volume times and decrease in low volume times. But we cant guarantee approving more than one message per person per month.

SUBMIT EARLIER RATHER THAN LATER.
There is often a message queue. Submitting at least a week (preferably two weeks) before an event is recommended to guarantee getting your message out in time.

WHAT YOU SEND IN EQUALS WHAT GETS SENT OUT.
We are unable to edit any messages that get submitted to sust-mar, so what you send us is exactly how it goes out to subscribers. Please edit out any lists of private email addresses, personal comments to anyone, slander etc.

For further explanation on these points please go to:

http://list.web.net/archives/sust-mar/2010-January/002032.html

To contact the sust-mar moderator please use this email:

sust-mar-owner at list.web.net