[Sust-mar] Rally for Nova Scotia forests

Glenda Burrows glendaburrows at eastlink.ca
Sat Oct 23 09:13:51 EDT 2010

Hi Peter

I am resending the message to the list and to you as well. This is the original message from Jamie. I have taken out all of the links... Hope it works. It just needs to get out there to those who haven't seen it yet....feel free to put your message on if it doesn't.

Thank very much
Glenda
Save Caribou
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
PLEASE NOTE TIME CHANGE: 10:00 Friday, October 29th (not 12:30 as originally planned)

On Friday October 29th at 10:00 at the Legislature building in Halifax, hundreds of Nova Scotians will join in a public show of support for the future of Nova Scotia's forests and the communities that depend on them.

We need you there with us: Province House: 1726 Hollis Street, Halifax

Together, we will send a clear and strong message of support for change: (1) dramatically reduce clearcutting through regulation, (2) support people who are practising responsible forestry, and (3) stop subsidizing those who clearcut our forests.

We will show the NDP that they have Nova Scotians' support to implement these changes.  Now is the time to show support for our forests.  This is the best chance for positive change we've ever had.  Let's not lose it!

Once a forest to marvel at, our forest is now classified as endangered by the World Wildlife Fund.  We've seen a precipitous loss of old forest, wildlife habitat and valuable trees, while cutting has increased and forest employment has decreased.

A bird's eye view of Nova Scotia through "Google Earth" shows that it is riddled with clearcuts and logging roads.  It's time to reverse these trends, to restore ecological and economic value to our forests.

What we need you to do:

(1) Let us know you're going to come to the rally on Friday, October 29th, 10:00  (Legislature building - 1726 Hollis St.).

(2) Spread the word to all of your contacts (friends, family and community) and urge them to spread the word to their contacts.

(3) Organize rides to get people into the city.

(4) Send a strong message of support for positive change to Minister MacDonell and Premier Dexter (addresses below).

(5) For those on Facebook, join ' Nova Scotians for Healthy Forests'

We need a huge turnout.  This is our chance to be heard!

Background:

We're in the final stages of a three-year process to develop a new direction for our natural resources.  The first step was public consultation, and Nova Scotians gave an over-whelming call for change.  Then, a panel of expertise provided in-depth analysis and detailed for positive change.  Now, government is deciding how to act on the public's concerns and the experts' report.  As expected, some in the forestry industry launched a strong campaign against the recommended changes.  We need to show the government that they have the support to stand up against those who wish to preserve the status quo.

QUESTIONS?

Call Jamie Simpson at 902 429 1335 or email at eacforestry at gmail.com

Premier Darrell Dexter

Office of the Premier