[Sust-mar] Two days left to stop mass extinction

Peter Watson pwatson at ns.sympatico.ca
Wed Oct 27 11:47:23 EDT 2010

Nothing local in the sust-mar queue today, so here's a global online
petition from Avaaz.org that's really worth taking a moment to sign:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/the_end_of_whales/?fp

Days left to stop mass extinction

A third of all animals and plants on earth face extinction -- endangered
blue whales, coral reefs, and a vast array of other species. The wave of
human-driven extinction has reached a rate not seen since the fall of the
dinosaurs 65 million years ago.

But there is a plan to save them -- a global agreement to create, fund and
enforce protected areas covering 20% of our seas and lands by 2020. Right
now, 193 governments are meeting in Japan to address this crisis. But
without public pressure, they are likely to fall short of the bold action
needed to avert the collapse of ecosystems the world over.

This summit ends on Friday, October 29 -- we have no time to lose. Let's
rapidly build a global public outcry urging governments to save all life on
earth from runaway decline. Sign the petition below and it will be delivered
directly to the meeting:

To all parties of the Convention on Biodiversity:
One third of Earth's species face extinction. We call on you to urgently
agree to create, execute and fund the protection of 20% of our oceans and
lands by 2020. Only bold and immediate action will protect our planet's rich
diversity of life.