[Sust-mar] People in Places 2011 - Funding Deadline September 15, 2010

Claudette LeBlanc leblancc at ca.inter.net
Wed Sep 1 13:19:22 EDT 2010

Please forward this note to your interested friends and colleagues.

Claudette LeBlanc
Project Officer, ACZISC Secretariat
Atlantic Coastal Zone Information Steering Committee
Dalhousie University, 1226 LeMarchant Street
Halifax, Nova Scotia B3H 3P7  CANADA
Tel  902-494-1977 - Fax 902-494-1334
URL http://aczisc.dal.ca

People in Places: Engaging Together in Integrated Resource Management
June 26-29, 2011, Halifax, NS, Canada
http://www.coastalcura.ca/peopleinplaces.html

Call for Contributions
- To be considered for funding: Deadline September 15, 2010
- General Call for Contributions: Deadline January 31, 2011

Good Morning,

The Coastal Community-University Research Alliance (Coastal CURA) announces
a conference in June, 2011 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, focusing on the
inclusion of resource dependent communities, including Aboriginal
communities, in processes of spatial planning, integrated management and
natural resource management. In addition to resource-based and aboriginal
communities, the meeting will be of interest to governments, universities
(academics and students), community based management and networking
organizations, civil societies and NGOs, and small scale natural resource
industries - all those interested in finding ways to engage together to
better manage natural resources.

This conference will go well beyond a typical academic format, to include
not only sessions of contributed paper presentations but also a range of
innovative formats for sharing information and ideas, organizers are
encouraging 'creative thinking outside the box' in participant
contributions. Therefore, proposed contributions (whether individual or
group) can take a variety of forms, such as:
-  Poster and Paper Presentations
-  Community Forum Sessions on "hot button issues"
-  Evening Short Film and Documentary Sessions
-  Facilitated Discussions
-  Cultural Productions (Video, theatre, photo displays, poems, etc.)
-  Story-telling and Community Testimonials
-  Knowledge Sharing: Project experiences and field reports
-  Innovative Technology Displays for Industry Partners
-  Student-led Sessions or Discussion Groups
-  Other - We are open for suggestions!

If you are interested in attending People in Places, and are hoping for
funding to cover expenses, we need your abstract submitted by September 15,
2010 at the very latest.  Our deadline is soon because we are applying for
funding from SSHRC, and need to include the names and abstracts of those who
require funding.  Although we cannot guarantee funding, we hope to provide
funding for as many attendees as possible.

You can submit an abstract online at:
http://www.coastalcura.ca/peopleinplaces.html

We are especially interested in relaying this offer to community based
groups who have practical experience in integrated resource management, but
who lack the financial support needed to attend.  Please forward this to
your interested colleagues and friends.

To learn more about our Coastal CURA and the People in Places conference
please see our website: http://www.coastalcura.ca/welcome.html

Sincerely Yours,

Madelaine Patterson
Coastal CURA Coordinator