[Sust-mar] Rural life workshops, Harrison Lewis Ctr.

dvledit at eastlink.ca dvledit at eastlink.ca
Thu Aug 4 11:43:24 EDT 2011

AUGUST 5-7: Women only Chainsaw Workshop. LAST
CALL! Harrison Lewis Centre, South Shore NS, two
hours from Halifax. Choosing the right saw, safe
operation, basic maintenance, sharpening, and
bucking techniques, directional felling.
Classroom and outdoor. Hands-on. Safety boots,
all other gear provided. Certified instructor
Patrick Allan. (Limited, 8 participants.) $255
covers tuition, all home cooked meals, two nights
cabin bunk. Please register right away by phoning
902-683-2763 or email dvledit at eastlink.ca.

August 16-18: Homestead Arts Week. Harrison Lewis
Centre, South Shore NS, two hours from
Halifax.(Come for a day; stay for all three.)
Pies, Bread baking, Introduction to
blacksmithing, Jellies jams and pickles, make a
wooden hay rake, White wash that works, Hand tool
maintenance and repair, Keeping tools sharp, Hand
mowing. Meals $7, cabin bunk $20 per night.
Donations welcomed to defray other expenses.
Please register by phoning 902-683-2763 or email
dvledit at eastlink.ca.

August 24-26: Hand Mowing Workshop. Harrison
Lewis Centre, South Shore NS, two hours from
Halifax. Come for a day or stay for more.
(Tenting or small camper only, meals in our
home.) We will have more than one instructor and
a couple of scythes to use, although we encourage
participants to bring their own. Sharpening,
blade repair, proper set-up of blade and snath.
No previous experience required or expected,
though we welcome veteran mowers to come and
share what they know. There will be a modest
charge for meals, and an expectation that
everyone will pitch in cook¬ing ad cleaning up.
This will be an international gathering, with
mowers from New England joining in instruction
and the fun. Meals $7, tenting $10 per night.
Donations welcomed to defray other expenses.
Please register by phoning 902-683-2763 or email
dvledit at eastlink.ca.

August 27: Maritime Hand Mowing Championships -
Ross Farm Museum in New Ross, N.S., Eighth
annual. Sponsored by Rural Delivery magazine. No
fee for entrants. Everyone gets a prize. Music,
barbecue, hay forking contest. Lot of fun, and
learning too, for all ages. To register or for
details phone 902-683-2763, 902-689-2210, or
write HLC at eastlink.ca.