[Sust-mar] Peace and Friendship Gathering 2011

Meghan MacCulloch meghan at tatacentre.ca
Thu Aug 4 15:26:31 EDT 2011

Peace and Friendship Gathering

August 15-19; Monday 10am to Friday 1pm

Welcome to this annual cross-cultural gathering! Come to meet Aboriginal
People

of this region, experience indigenous-led program

and learn about current issues. Learn about and live out our Peace and

Friendship Treaties together!

This year, we will gather together to find hope, as we examine our real

concerns about our environment (water, fracking, mining, fishing,

forestry, etc), our historic and current realities (Indian Residential

Schools, unacknowledged Treaties and Rights, etc) and a dominant

worldview that seems to oppress all that keeps us alive. Is there a

connection between our relationships with each other and our

relationship with the Earth? What more can we do together, that we

cannot do apart? How will we work together toward a common vision of

peace and justice?

Join inspiring Aboriginal People to explore these and many other

important questions. Sherry Pictou, from Bear River First Nation, is a

Mi'kmaq educator and co-Chair of the World Fisheries Forum. She brings

inspiration, experience and ongoing challenges from her work with the

fisheries and indigenous rights - from both Maritime and international

perspectives. gkisedtanamoogk, Wampanoag, teachers Native Studies

at the University of Maine, and is a co-founder of the Aboriginal Rights

Coalition - Atlantic. He notes "...We are all suffering...The Peace and

Friendship Gatherings are the good medicine to enable us to bridge the

gaps of mutuality and socio-economic responsibility."

Eileen Brooks, from Indian Brook First Nation, will bring spiritual

leadership; Mi'kmaq musician and educator, Catherine Martin, will bring

her music, films and stories; and Margaret Tusz-King, coordinator of the

Peace and Friendship Project, will be there to offer welcome and

support. We expect other leaders and experts from our region to join us

over the week as well.

Our daily rhythm of activities will include early Morning Ceremony,

focused Talking Circles before lunch, special workshops, cultural

experiences or quiet time together during the afternoons, and then

evening processes to reflect and debrief the day. All are welcome to

come for as little or as long as you can. Particular daily topics will

be determined by the resource people, and by the interests of those

gathered.

Cost: $375 for all 4 days; pro-rated for however long you can attend.

Tenting/camping is an option too.

The Peace and Friendship Project is a partnership of Tatamagouche Centre

with the Mennonite Central Committee, in conjunction with the Aboriginal

Rights Coalition - Atlantic and the Maritime Conference Working Group on

Aboriginal Relations and Concerns.

Meghan MacCulloch

Promotions Coordinator

Tatamagouch Centre