[Sust-mar] Organic Apprentices 2011, f/t, Fredericton, New Brunswick

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Tue Jan 4 16:06:02 EST 2011

[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca]

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Position: Organic Farm Apprentices (4)

Type: Full-time apprenticeship with accom., meals, stipend (details below)

Location: Fredericton, New Brunswick

General Description: Jemseg River Farm farm is certified organic and we produce a wide range of vegetables, small fruit and livestock. We are a dynamic operation located in Jemseg in the beautiful Saint John river valley where it meets the Jemseg River. We have water on two sides of our farm, beautiful views and the area is renowned for its birdwatching. Hiking, biking and boating opportunities are abundant and we maintain a small fleet of boats. The historic village of Gagetown is just across the river accessible by boat or a short drive and ferry. We are about 50 km away from the provincial capital of Fredericton and about one hour away from the provinces other two major cities. The famous Bay of Fundy is just one hour away.

On our 200 acre farm we grow about six acres of vegetables, herbs, potatoes, strawberries and raspberries and practice extensive cover cropping. We also grow some hay and small grains. We normally have poultry and pigs during the summer season. We have two greenhouses where we start transplants and grow extended season crops. We will begin planting a small orchard in 2011 and are preparing land for asparagus and a vineyard. We will be developing our farm as time allows along permaculture principles. The farm also features a small stand of harvestable wild rice and many acres of forest.

There are always multiple building projects in progress and the farmer is also a carpenter and cabinetmaker. We have a woodworking shop and are hoping to get a blacksmith forge set up soon. We maintain a small fleet of tractors and equipment and regularly maintain, build and repair our own equipment.

Our sales are mostly direct retail through our local farmers market and our CSA weekly box program. We are known as the friendliest farmers at the market and strive to build and strengthen communities through our activities such as farm visits and agricultural field days. We strive to be a successful business and sustainable agriculture model that can be adapted by new farmers.

Our mission statement includes a strong educational component and we see ourselves as an incubator for future farmers. We are university educators (part time in a leadership studies program) and we have developed an apprentice manual and spend significant time on training in area such as weed control, pest management, composting, harvesting practices, marketing, sales and record keeping. We have a great farm library that covers a wide range of topics.

We offer apprentices a weekly stipend in addition to room and board. Accommodations are in self contained cabins or trailer. Apprentices normally work 5 days a week, usually about 8-9 hours and alternate going to our Saturday market. We generally eat together and we expect apprentices to share in cooking and cleaning duties. We eat lots of good food from the farm and can accommodate vegetarians.

We can take up to 4 apprentices. Non-smokers only. Responsible alcohol consumption is OK. Please feel free to contact us for more information. We would love to explore the possibility of an internship/apprenticeship for you at our farm.

Micheal Carr

Jemseg River Farm

Internship Starts: April to May 1, 2011

Internship Ends: October to November 2010

Number of Interns: 4

App Deadline: Open until positions are filled, so apply early

Minimum Length of Stay: 3 Months

Meals: Wholesome farm food. The greatest pleasure of farming is the sharing and eating of food! We produce, gather and preserve a wide range of foods on farm and buy what we don't grow mostly from other local producers. We have our own pork and chicken, but can accommodate vegetarians as well.

Skills Desired: Some farm or construction experience is helpful but not necessary. The work is demanding physically, so it useful to have done some type of physical work before.

Educational Opportunities: We spend as much time as possible providing educational opportunities including on the job training and an internship/ apprentice manual that covers a wide range of topics. The farmer and several other people involved in the farm are university educators...so learning is always on our mind. Education is an important part of our mission statement and we seek to provide agricultural and environmental learning opportunities at all times.

We maintain an extensive library and encourage interns to take on a personal project at the farm that fits with their own educational goals.

Stipend: This is negotiable, based on experience and time commitment. We offer minimum of $75 a week and offer additional completion bonuses.

Housing: We have two cozy cabins and a trailer available for interns. They are close to showers and toilets and have beautiful view of the valley and magnificent sunsets.

Preferred method Of Contact: email or phone

Internship Details: Our internships have a strong educational component and we hope to help those interested in farming and gardening to develop skills and experience that can help them succeed in their own ventures. It is an opportunity to experience and learn about living with nature.

Our interns live and work on the farm and activities vary with the season, weather and the needs of the farm. We feed hundreds of people so we work hard, but it is very rewarding work. Work activities include planting, transplanting, cultivating, weeding, harvesting, cleaning vegetables, packing for market, sales at market, haying, animal care, carpentry, equipment and tool maintenance, whatever the farm needs that day really. :-)

Jemseg River Farm

262 Route 715

Jemseg NB  E3A 8K7

Contact: Micheal Carr

Phone: [Cell] 506-470-1906

Email: carr.micheal at gmail.com

Website: http://www.facebook.com/JemsegRiver

Last Updated: 12-17-2010

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Un-subscribe: planetfriendly.net/goodworkunsubscribe.html

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca