[Sust-mar] Native Plant Gardener, summer, Harriet Irving Botanical Gardens, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Mon Jan 31 14:35:58 EST 2011

[from Canada's Green Job Site, GoodWorkCanada.ca]

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Student Native Plant Gardener & Interpreter

Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia

May -- August 2010 (16 weeks)

35 hours/week, $12/hour

Job Description

The K.C. Irving Environmental Science Centre is a unique educational centre where nature, research and technology come together to promote and practice conservation and sustainability within the Acadian Forest Region. We are looking for students who are passionate about plants, people and the environment to work on our seasonal crew.

Students will develop their horticulture skills while assisting with the maintenance of the Botanical Gardens and Woodland Trails. In addition to learning about ecological gardening, students will have the opportunity to improve their presentation and people skills by leading tours and assisting with special events and environmental education programs.

Tasks consist of; mowing, weeding, mulching, raking, fertilizing, watering, pruning, infrastructure maintenance, pest identification and monitoring, nutrient and water management, record keeping, seed collection and storage, planting, leading public tours, assisting with special events and programs.

Successful candidates will be required to work in physically demanding situations including; mowing, lifting, digging and moving heavy materials and plants. Must be able to work in a greenhouse environment as well as outside in all weather conditions. Must have strong communication and presentation skills and be able to work independently and in a team environment.

Post-secondary education in Biology, Environmental Science or Horticulture preferred. Previous landscaping or gardening experience is required. Knowledge of plants and habitats found in the Acadian Forest Region would be an asset. Certification in First Aid and a driver's license required. WHMIS training and experience with hand and power tools preferred. Successful applicants will be required to supply personal safety boots, work gloves and rain gear.

Candidates must meet Young Canada Works criteria. http://www.pch.gc.ca/ycw-jct/

If you are a student who loves plants and the environment, we want to hear from you.

Please provide detailed resume, cover letter and references

Melanie Priesnitz, Conservation Horticulturist

Harriet Irving Botanical Gardens

52 University Ave, Box 48

Wolfville, NS B4P 2R6

botanicalgardens at acadiau.ca

Applications due February 18th 2011

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

Un-subscribe: planetfriendly.net/goodworkunsubscribe.html

Terms & Conditions: The information provided in this message is provided on an "As Is" basis and for general informational purposes only. People and Planet (also known as "GoodWork Canada") is not responsible for the content, accuracy, timeliness, completeness, legality, reliability, quality or suitability of the messages and listings we distribute. We do not screen or endorse the organizations or individuals involved. If you decide to accept an offer of employment, volunteering or any other arrangement, you do so at your own risk and it is your responsibility to take all protective measures to guard against injury, abuse, non-payment or any other loss. Please read our full Terms & Conditions: Planetfriendly.net/terms.html

This posting will also be published online. Any changes or corrections will appear there.

--

GoodWork Canada

Canada's Green Job Site Since 2001

http://www.GoodWorkCanada.ca