[Sust-mar] Organic Internships (2), f/t, Four Seasons Farm, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Jul 20 16:17:06 EDT 2011

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

INTERNSHIP OPPORTUNITY

Positions: Organic Farming Internships Summer/Fall

Type: full time internships with housing, meals, stipend, more (see below)

Location: Maitland, Nova Scotia

Currently seeking two applicants for all or part of the Summer/Fall. During this time, all the aspects will be covered, even though it's the last part of the season. Incredible tomatoes are the highlight; and lots of harvesting. We move from growing in the field to growing into high tunnels(greenhouses which have no heat no electrics)for the Fall. Because it's the height of the veggie season, it's the time of year to try sample dishes to enhance market sales, and do some canning, freezing and drying. Constructing an updated place for washing, packing and refrigeration will need people to join in who are looking to acquire some building skills.

Four Seasons Farm offers a unique "seed to plate" experience to learn about sustainable growing in a supportive environment. Family-run since 1992, we specialize in small-scale, organic practices and provide quality vegetables and herbs for restaurants and the Halifax Farmers Market, the largest market in the maritimes.

Qualifications:

• A strong interest in local, organic, and small-scale vegetable production.

• Applicants who have previous education and/or work experience in agriculture are preferred. However, students or new entrants to organic farming are also encouraged.

• Observant and inquisitive; can follow instructions; enjoys hands-on learning

• Hard-working and highly motivated

• In good physical shape and energetic

• Good communications skills; able to work and live in a cooperative environment

Work/Learn Description:

• Learning and working take place in both individual and group settings; there is individual instruction, group demonstrations, and working with one another to pass along skills.

• Over the course of the season interns will develop skills in the many areas of "seed to plate" farming including: Seeding and transplanting; Compost making, Soil fertility and soil preparations; Irrigation; Trellising and pruning; Weed, pest and disease prevention and management; Managing and improving high tunnels; Crop-specific harvesting and post-harvest care; Farm direct marketing, delivering and selling at a farm market; Cooking and preserving produce

• Detailed instructions are given to develop the skills necessary to perform tasks on the farm.

• It is the detailed instruction along with performing the tasks that develop skills.

• Occasional presentations by visiting folks are organized on relevant topics.

• There is an extensive farming library where the staff can help facilitate independent study.

Responsibilities:

• The regular work schedule generally runs from 7:30-8 am to 6:30-7 pm with a morning break and an hour for lunch.

• Interns should expect to work some weekends on a rotating basis being responsible for irrigation, chickens care and selling at a farmers market.

• Interns are also expected to take part in managing an orderly household, including some simple household chores and taking turns cooking

Additional Benefits:

• Housing is provided in a large family farm house.

• Access to long-distance phone calls, a computer with wireless internet and a laundry.

• All meals are provided mostly family style, with meat and vegetarian options.

• Regular opportunities to participate in meal preparation with menus of your choice and many fresh ingredients.

• An opportunity to explore this beautiful region of Nova Scotia right on the mudflats of the Bay of Fundy.

• The chance to meet others from around the world involved in the local farm and food revival movement.

• A stipend/salary which will be based on experience and length of commitment.

To apply:

• The Summer/Fall 2011 season will run from August to November/December, with some room for shorter stays as well. Let us know how we can work with your availability. Our minimum length of stay is two weeks, though preference is given to applicants with the intention to stay longer.

• Please email a cover letter and resume or a letter expressing your interest and background to: drnrjror at ns.sympatico.ca . We follow up with you to have conversation by phone or Skype.

• For more information see our website: http://www.fourseasonsfarm.ca under the "Internship" section

A warm welcome to those who enjoy hard work, tasty food, good conversation and

music, and living with a diverse group of people.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sustainable Food Jobs, Internships & Volunteering

GoodWork Canada http://goodworkcanada.ca/gw.php?theme=food

CRAFT (Ontario) http://www.craftontario.ca

SOIL (Canada) http://soilapprenticeships.org

ACORN (Atlantic Canada) http://acornorganic.org/training.html

WWOOF (Worldwide) http://wwoof.ca and http://planetfriendly.net/wwoof.html

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com