[Sust-mar] Teaching with Monarch Butterflies Workshop in St. John, NB

heidi verheul heidiverheul at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 23 10:08:09 EDT 2011

 Hi,
This workshop is an excellent opportunity for educators!
I attended this workshop last year and it was incredible.
I would appreciate it if it could make it out on the sust-mar list.
We need folks to register for it to happen.
Thanks,
~heidi
Elementary Education Coordinator
Sierra Club Canada Atlantic Canada Chapter
heidiv at sierraclub.ca
902-444-3113

Teaching and Learning with Monarch Butterflies in Saint John, NB

AUGUST 25 & 26, 2011
Irving Nature Park & 300 Union Street,
Saint John, NB

Each fall, Monarch Butterflies from the U.S. and Canada begin a 3,200 km migration to
Mexico. In the spring their offspring return. Inspired by their journey, teachers across
the U.S. and Canada attend these workshops to learn how to use monarchs as effective
tools for teaching science, language arts, social studies, math, Spanish, technology and
the growing connection between the U.S., Canada and Mexico.
Participants learn about:
• Raising and tagging Monarch Butterflies
• Monarch Butterfly ecology and conservation efforts
• Working with tested, curriculum linked lessons
• The importance of maintaining/developing Monarch habitat
• The Monarch’s significance in Mexican culture
...and so much more!

Workshops run from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m each day and include:
•Expert instruction
•Journey’s Curriculum Guide and DVD
•Monarch rearing equipment
•Life cycle poster and T-shirt