[Sust-mar] Community Garden Coordinator, summer, Halifax, Nova Scotia

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Thu Jun 23 12:13:42 EDT 2011

[from Canada's Green Job Site, http://GoodWorkCanada.ca ]

SUMMER EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY

Position: Community Garden Coordinator

Location: Halifax, Nova Scotia

Deadline: Thursday, June 30th at 11pm; interviews will be held July 8th

Start Date: July 13th

Please send a cover letter and resume to: info at nspirg.org

Responsibilities:

The garden coordinator is responsible for overseeing the care and harvest of Seymour Green, NSPIRG's collective garden. Primary duties will include working with the garden volunteers and members to plant crops for the upcoming season; recruit new garden members, coordinate workshops, prepare educational materials, fundraise and organize public events. The coordinator will also work with NSPIRG staff on ongoing projects and campaigns, network with other community gardens in the HRM, and work to improve the on-site infrastructure.

The ideal candidate possesses some or all of the following qualifications:

• Dedication to challenging oppression of all forms

• Comprehensive knowledge of food politics and the role of community gardening in this realm

• Experience coordinating volunteers

• Experience organizing public events

• Hands-on experience with organic, urban gardening

• Fundraising skills

• Familiarity working within a non-profit organization, and commitment to NSPIRG's mandate

• Ability to work independently

• Flexibility and enthusiasm

WAGE

This is a 8-week, 35hrs/week, $2,316.00 HRSDC funded position.

ELIGIBILITY

The terms of eligibility for applicants, as defined by HRSDC, are as follows. The applicant:

1. Must be a Canadian resident not currently employed elsewhere full-time.

2. Must be 15-30 years of age.

3. Must be a full-time University student in the previous and coming year.

NSPIRG has an anti-oppression hiring policy, which recognizes and welcomes the unique contributions that individuals from diverse communities bring to our organization, and invites individuals from these communities to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences would bring to the NSPIRG organization in their cover letter or resume.

TO APPLY

Applications may be dropped off at:

NSPIRG-Dal Hiring Committee

Room 314, 6136 University Ave

Halifax, NS B3K 4B8

Or emailed to: info at nspirg.org

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Community Gardens in Halifax, Nova Scotia

http://seemoregreen.wordpress.com/

http://www.halifaxgardennetwork.com/

http://halifax.ca/crca/CommunityEngagement/CommunityGardens.html

http://google.ca/search?q=halifax+%22community+garden%22

Community Gardens in Nova Scotia

http://www.nsen.ca/i_communitygardens.php

http://google.ca/search?q=nova+scotia+community+gardens

What is a Community Garden?

http://google.ca/search?q=community+garden

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com