[Sust-mar] Join the Halifax Honey Bee Society!

Nicole Arsenault jnarsena at dal.ca
Tue Mar 1 09:13:55 EST 2011

**Apologies for cross-postings**
*
Hello current and future honey bee enthusiasts!*

The Halifax Honeybee Society is excited to tell you about the third year of
our urban beekeeping project, and we welcome new members to join us!

We did a lot of learning during this past year, the momentum is growing and
we have big plans for 2011! We'll be starting fresh with new colonies this
year, and we hope that lots of community members will want to come out and
continue learning along with us.

For the past two years, our project has been entirely supported through
membership donations. Membership fees go towards purchasing bee colonies,
beekeeping equipment, and resources. With your support, we can continue to
keep bees and provide education in the city in 2011!

In exchange for your support, we want to make sure that our members get the
chance to learn about beekeeping in the city. Over the past year, our
community of urban beekeepers has grown substantially, and that has inspired
us to take the Honey Bee Society in a slightly new direction. Instead of
inviting members to visit our hives with us as we care for them through the
season, as we've done in the past, we've decided to organize several
workshops on specific topics, covering many key aspects of urban beekeeping.
In partnership with a number of beekeepers and bee enthusiasts, we're
planning to offer the following beekeeping workshops to our 2011 members,
set to begin in May:

    * Intro to Beekeeping
    * Splitting Strong Hives and Swarm Control
    * Bee Products for Body Care
    * Honey Extraction
    * Top Bar Hives
    * Rooftop Beekeeping
    * Organic Methods for Disease and Pest Control
    * Preparing for Winter
    * And possibly others, including beeswax candle making!

Because this a community project, we want to make it as accessible as
possible. This year, membership fees are lower than ever! See the membership
page <http://halifaxhoneybees.wordpress.com/membership/> of our website for
details.

Please forward this message and the form to other bee enthusiasts!

Feel free to contact us with any questions, and check out our website,
www.halifaxhoneybees.wordpress.com and our Facebook
page<http://www.facebook.com/pages/Halifax-Honey-Bee-Society/155434271178710>

We hope to hear from you soon!

Warmest regards,