[Sust-mar] Global Bee Emergency - What you can do - Act now

GoodWork Green Jobs p2 at planetfriendly.net
Wed Mar 30 13:30:54 EDT 2011

GLOBAL BEE EMERGENCY

Quietly, globally, billions of bees are dying, threatening our crops and food. But a global ban of one group of pesticides could save bees from extinction.

Four European countries have begun banning these poisons, and some bee populations are recovering. But chemical companies are lobbying hard to keep all killer pesticides on the market. A global outcry now for a ban in the US and EU, where debate is raging, could provoke a total ban and a ripple effect around the world.

Let's build a giant global buzz calling for these dangerous chemicals to be outlawed in the US and EU until and unless they are proved to be safe. Sign the petition to save bees and our crops and send this to everyone: https://secure.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bees/

WHAT YOU CAN DO

* Plant a pollinator-friendly garden http://pollinationcanada.ca/?n=pc_lib_pfg

* Don't use pesticides or chemical fertilizers http://google.ca/search?q=organic+gardening

* Naturalize / plant native flowers in your yard  http://google.ca/search?q=wildflowers

* Become a backyard beekeeper http://google.ca/search?q=backyard+beekeeping

* Support conservation, wetland conservation, biodiversity http://planetfriendly.net/dontpave.html#links

* Avoid industrial food and GMOs -- buy local organic http://planetfriendly.net/organic.html#food

* Be a pollinator observer http://pollinationcanada.ca/?n=pc_be_an_observer

* Learn more and get involved http://planetfriendly.net/wiki/?title=Save_the_Bees

* Live sustainably. It's all connected.

LEARN MORE AND GET INVOLVED

Pollination Canada -- pollinating insects are "essential for over a billion dollars of apples, pears, cucumbers, melons, berries, and many other kinds of Canadian farm produce".

http://www.pollinationcanada.ca/

North American Pollinator Protection Campaign

http://pollinator.org/nappc/

Pollinator Partnership

http://pollinator.org/

More Groups, Organizations, Resources

Canada: http://pollinationcanada.ca/?n=pc_partners

North America: http://pollinator.org/nappc/partners.htm

(warning: might include government partners with vested

interests in corporate, pesticide-intensive agriculture)

Post your bee-friendly jobs, internships and volunteer

opportunities with GoodWork:  http://GoodWorkCanada.ca/

.

When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWorkCanada.ca.

GOODWORK GREEN JOBS

http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

GoodWork is Canada's green job site. Since 2001, we've been connecting motivated, green-minded people with opportunities to contribute and be employed. GoodWork is Canada's best place to find people in any green/environmental topic or specialization.

SUBSCRIBE to GoodWork at: http://GoodWorkCanada.ca

or e-mail to: goodworkcanada-subscribe at yahoogroups.com