[Sust-mar] Summer Internship - Clean Nova Scotia

Julia Pelton jpelton at clean.ns.ca
Tue May 3 12:17:12 EDT 2011

Clean Nova Scotia
 **

*Title: *Beach Sweep Intern

*Dates: *May 23 – June 30 (7 weeks, 20 hours/week)

*Salary:* $17/hour

*Clean Nova Scotia *(www.clean.ns.ca) is a non-profit environmental
organization now proudly in its twenty-third year. Our motto of “Inspiring
Environmental Change” encourages the creation of a cleaner, healthier
environment by informing, enabling, and inspiring Nova Scotians to respect
and consider the environment in all of their choices. Our original focal
point was waste reduction, and we played an integral role in assisting the
province to achieve its goal of 50% waste diversion. Over time we have
evolved and expanded, and now offer comprehensive and diverse environmental
programming in the strategic areas of Climate Change & Energy Efficiency,
Health & Community, Transportation, Waste Reduction, and Water Protection.
Our expertise, passion, independence and willingness to collaborate have
resulted in a successful track record of developing and delivering
environmental programs.

*Description of Project*

Building on the success of the *Great Nova Scotia Pick Me Up* program, Clean
Nova Scotia would like to develop a program that engages communities to
remove trash and debris from shorelines in the HRM. During the month of
June, Clean Nova Scotia would like to organize beach cleanups in the HRM for
three consecutive weeks. These cleanups would target various beaches in the
HRM that are used for recreational purposes. The Beach Sweep program will
raise awareness of the type of debris that is commonly found on beaches and
the effects of debris in our oceans.  At the end of the month, a celebratory
barbecue will be organized to highlight the success of the beach sweeps.

*The specific objectives are to: *

   - Research and identify beaches in the HRM to organize community litter
   cleanups.
   - Book three to four community beach sweeps in the HRM in the month of
   June.
   - Identify and market the program with local businesses, community groups
   and schools to participate in beach sweeps.
   - Organize participants in the Beach Sweep program.
      - Provide supplies (bags, gloves, etc.).  Monitor and assist with
      event days.
   - Provide a written final report to summarize successes and challenges.

*Skills Required:*

   - Highly organized with the ability to work independently.
   - Ability to engage community members and stakeholders.
   - Demonstrated passion and enthusiasm for the environment.
   - Excellent verbal and written skills.
   - Communication/presentation abilities.
   - Event coordination experience (asset)

*A complete application will consist of:*

1.  A CV outlining relevant experience

2.  A cover letter explaining:

• why you would be a good fit for CNS and

• how you would benefit from the experience.

The application deadline is May 15th, 2011. We thank all applicants who
respond, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Applications should be sent attention to:

Julia Pelton, Water Manager | Clean Nova Scotia 902-420-7932 |
jpelton at clean.ns.ca