[Sust-mar] Walk 'Round MacAskill's Brook Dam in the Latest Addition of CBRM's Watershed Walks

Hannah MacDonald hmacdonald at acapcb.ns.ca
Thu Oct 13 15:12:32 EDT 2011

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
OCTOBER 11, 2011

Walk 'Round MacAskill's Brook Dam in the Latest Addition of CBRM's Watershed
Walks

Sydney, NS - ACAP Cape Breton and the CBRM Water Utility are inviting
residents to enjoy the fall colours and explore the newest addition to the
CBRM public waters. The Walk 'Round MacAskill's Brook Dam will bring local
residents to an often unseen water source which now provides tap water to
Glace Bay and surrounding communities.

Once used for the heavy water plant, this man-made but beautiful lake is a
great example of changes in infrastructure to fit a modern day Cape Breton.
The walk will bring residents along the spillway and then a walk along the
1.3 kilometre dam to see the lush valley now enveloped by MacAskill's Brook.
CBRM Watershed Coordinator, Britt Roscoe, will be guiding the walk which
will also include a youth scavenger hunt and prizes. The walk will finish at
the Water Treatment Plant with a tour and snacks.

This hike is part of a series of Watershed Walks promoting the exploration
and stewardship of our public water sources. Within the CBRM, there are
seven watersheds which provide residents with their tap water. Source water
protection is an important issue for both our environment and our public
health.

The hike takes place Saturday, October 15th from 10 a.m. to 12 noon,
beginning at the Glace Bay Water Treatment Plant at 2281 Birch Grove Road,
Tower Road. The event is free to the public but the walk will proceed rain
or shine, so participants are encouraged to dress appropriately.

For more information, please contact ACAP Cape Breton at 567-1628 or
<http://www.acapcb.ns.ca> www.acapcb.ns.ca.

The Atlantic Coastal Action Program (ACAP) Cape Breton is a non-profit,
charitable community organization. Located at 582 George Street in Sydney,
this dynamic group integrates environmental, social and economic factors
into projects focusing on action, education and ecosystem planning.

-30-

Susan King

Executive Director

ACAP Cape Breton