[Sust-mar] GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION ON MILITARY SPENDING Tuesday, April 17 noon Spring Garden Library, Halifax

Tamara Lorincz tlorincz at dal.ca
Sun Apr 15 22:34:13 EDT 2012

Hello sustainability friends,

Please join us this Tuesday to call attention to increased military spending
for war fighting and planned investments in stealth fighters, warships,
tanks and submarines.

***
GLOBAL DAY OF ACTION ON MILITARY SPENDING Tuesday, April 17, 2012
12:00-1:00 p.m.
Halifax Public Library, Spring Garden Library, Halifax Organized by the
Halifax Peace Coalition and the Nova Scotia Voice of Women for Peace to
raise awareness about the $1.6 trillion spent globally on war and weapons.
In Nova Scotia we will call attention to the federal government planning to
spend $29 billion on Lockheed Martin F-35 stealth fighters and $25 billion
on Irving warships. For more information please visit www.demilitarize.org

***
Opinion pieces printed last week by VOW members related to the Global Day of
Action on Military Spending - PLEASE READ

Security comes from the absence of war
By Sarah Morgan, VOW
http://thechronicleherald.ca/opinion/86535-security-comes-from-absence-of-wa

Military spending: theft from the world's poor By Joy Warner and Cathie
Pead, VOW
http://www.thespec.com/opinion/editorial/article/703912--military-spending-t
heft-from-the-world-s-poor

***

Halifax Peace Coalition Facebook event:
http://www.facebook.com/groups/2306217425/

Watch the 5-minute inspiring video:
http://demilitarize.org/general/video-gdams-20-promotional-video/

Thank you!

In solidarity for peace, earth & justice,

Tamara

Tamara Lorincz
55 Willowbend Court
Halifax, NS CANADA B3M 3L3
Phone: (902) 443-2423
Cell: (902) 478-1379
tlorincz at dal.ca
ECJ: http://www.ecojustice.ca
GN: http://www.space4peace.org/
HPC: http://www.halifaxpeacecoalition.ca/
NSEN: http://www.nsen.ca
"A better world is possible"

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary
spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility
to poverty, racism, and militarism." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1967

"Without a doubt, military spending represents the single most significant
perversion of worldwide priorities known today." Former President of Costa
Rica and Nobel Peace Prize Winner, Oscar Arias, 1999