[Sust-mar] Time short for workshop signups

dvledit at eastlink.ca dvledit at eastlink.ca
Fri Apr 20 07:29:22 EDT 2012

Deadlines loom for Harrison Lewis Centre workshops
(Phone toll-free 1 855-832-4488)

May 11-13: Spring Mushroom Foray/Grow your own: Outstanding,
fun-filled, weekend investigating the amazing lives of mushrooms and
their essential role in the life of the forest. Saturday's focus will
be on bracket (shelf) fungi led by Richard McBride, Ph.D. On Sunday
learn how to grow your own edible wild forest mushrooms under the
direction of David Boyle, Ph.D. (Maritime MicroBiologicals). We'll
gather Friday 7 pm for movies and general discussion. Saturday, a
walk in the woods guided by Richard, Catherine Pross, and friends
will be followed by a chance to examine mushrooms and mycorrhizae
under microscopes in the lab. On Sunday, we'll be inoculating logs
with mushroom spawn. Take home your own birch log promising a future
feed. Registration closes May 1.

May 25-27: Portable Band Saw Mill workshop. Plenty of hands-on
instruction in all aspects of portable mill operation, any make, from
basic maintenance and safe operation to learning how to get the most
good lumber out of a log. For the person thinking about buying a mill
or the owner of a mill seeking to achieve better results. This course
is taught by Lew Dingwall, former portable band saw mill instructor
at the Ranger School (Maritime College of Forest Technology) in
Fredericton, N.B. Program gets underway at 7 pm Friday and wraps up
Sunday afternoon. Enrollment limited to 10. Registration closes May 9.

June 1-3: Women-only chainsaw course. Register now, enrollment
limited to 10. Arrive 7 pm Friday. Saturday, basics of operation and
maintenance, through bucking and limbing. Sunday, a day of
directional felling and review. Patrick Allan, certified instructor.
Small class assures plenty of hands-on opportunities to become
comfortable using a chainsaw. Bring your own steel-toed boots (and
your own saw if you have one and wish to bring it). All other safety
equipment provided. Enrollment limited to 10. Registration closes May
18.

June 8-10: Introduction to Plants and Ethnobotany. This workshop with
ethnobotanist Keith Williams and botanist Pierre Taschereau Ph.D.,
will introduce participants to the fascinating kingdom of plants.
Topics will include: basic field identification of the major plant
families, plant ecology, invasive species, and ethnobotany (cultural
uses of plants). A hands-on botanical adventure, in the field,
coastline and forest, and in the field lab. This workshop will help
you answer burning questions such as: How can I tell the difference
between introduced and native species? Which local plants can I eat?
How can wild plants be harvested sustainably? Why do we have seasonal
food cravings? How can I make bread without using industrial yeast?
How did people dye cloth before industrial dyes were available?
Program gets underway at 7 pm Friday and runs through Sunday
afternoon. Limited enrollment. Registration closes May 25.

June 15-17: Writing From Nature. "To pay attention, this is our
endless and proper work," wrote American poet Mary Oliver.
Award-winning poet and nature writer Harry Thurston will conduct a
two-day workshop designed to sharpen observational skills, which are
the foundation not only of nature writing but of all good writing.
Focus will be on writing about the natural world. Practical exercises
will include the writing of a prose poem - a hybrid and highly
flexible form - taking as subject a natural object from the
environment surrounding the Harrison Lewis Coastal Discovery Centre.
Participants will critique each other's work within a supportive
group atmosphere. Time will also be available for individual
consultation with the workshop leader. Workshop is open to writers of
all skill levels. Concentration will be on poetry and creative
non-fiction, but the workshop is designed to be relevant to any
genre. Participants are asked to submit a short prose piece or small
selection of poems three weeks prior to the workshop date. Workshop
gets underway at 7 pm Friday. Enrollment limited to 12 participants.
Registration closes June 1.

Register Now
$210 covers tuition and five great meals and snacks. Shared cabin $40
(bring sleeping bag or request bedding). Tent sites $20 (or commute
from home or nearby accommodations). Program runs from Friday evening
7 pm to Sunday afternoon. For information about workshops and other
programs go to www.HarrisonLewisCentre.org, visit us on Facebook, or
phone toll-free 1-855-832-4488. To register send cheque or money
order, along with name, address, phone number and email address to:
The Harrison Lewis Centre, RR 1 Port Joli, NS B0T 1S0. Please let us
know beforehand about any dietary restrictions.