[Sust-mar] Passing gas: Peter Kent and Canada's bogus GHG emission targets

Christopher Majka c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Aug 13 12:15:59 EDT 2012

Last week Canadian Environment Minister Peter Kent delivered some
startling environmental news:

"Canada is now half way to its target of reducing total greenhouse gas
emissions by 17 percent from 2005 levels by 2020. This is the result
of the Harper Government's realistic, sector-by-sector approach to
greenhouse gas regulations that is reducing emissions, while
continuing to create jobs and encouraging economic growth. Last year,
we were one-quarter of the way to our goal. And now we're half way
there. This shows the significant progress we are making in meeting
our Copenhagen commitment."

But is this true or is Minister Kent simply passing gas onto the next
generation? In fact, as my analysis makes clear, the government is
simply blowing smoke. Using fabricated "no government actions" figures
-- made up without any indication of methodology or assumptions --
allows Minister Kent to say that since 720 Megatones (Mt) is halfway
between 607 Mt (the objective) and 850 Mt (the fantasy figure) that we
have achieved a 50% reduction. This is the equivalent of saying that
we have already won 50% of the medals we are planning to win at the
2020 Olympics -- and just about as meaningful. In fact at best, even
aspirationally, we are only on track to achieve only 9% of our
Copenhagen Accord target by 2020. For more information see:

Passing gas: Peter Kent and Canada's bogus GHG emission targets
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/christophermajka/2012/08/passing-gas-peter-kent-and-canadas-bogus-ghg-emission-target

Best wishes,

Christopher Majka

Christopher Majka - columnist, Rabble.ca
Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Email: c.majka at ns.sympatico.ca
http://rabble.ca/blog/26142
"The significant problems of our time cannot be solved by the same
level of thinking that created them." - Albert Einstein